Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
KathiS

Lemon?

We bought our 2010 Cougar 318SAB 5th wheel in Nov last year. The trailer was used for 2-3 months then traded in for a Montana (at least that's what the dealer told us). It is under warranty until July 2011 and thank god we purchased a 4 year extended warranty.

Since we bought the trailer we have had the following go wrong:
Pigtail for the propane tank leaked
Shower stall leaked at the side walls and drain (took two visits to fix)
Bedroom slide seal tore and had to have the top seal replaced as well
Bad speaker
Wood trim around door came off (already coming off again after being fixed)
Replaced the switch for front landing gear wire
Shade end cap came off and ripped the shade

Now on a long road trip, two more problems have surfaced. Our galley tank is leaking water from the top. Service center said it's likely the seal or the tank isn't sitting straight. Major repair because it's at the top of the tank. They said the entire inside of therefore insulation was wet and it looked like the problem has existed for a while. Next we discovered that the rear two tires are wearing unevenly in the exact same spot. We were told it most likely means a bent axle. We have not put a lot of miles on this trailer and stay on major roads avoiding potholes as much as possible. I would hope the axle is sturdy enough to handle a few bumps.

So we are left wondering if we have a lemon or if this is normal for trailers? I could understand this more if we bought an older trailer and know things will go wrong over time but so much right off the bat? Do we have any recourse with Keystone or the dealer?
KathiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
Amatuber

Some of that is normal for trailers ... I think they are all A bit of a money pit ... Had a 04 Cougar, and replaced every appliance in it, the tires shredded once ... the tires wore funny ... I think we had a lemon! BUT I just bought a new 2011 cougar ... and here we go again ... one month in so far so good ... but it has already been in the shop twice getting things adjusted to my liking.
Amatuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
antiqfreq

You aren't buying the most expensive trailer out there.

When we contimplated fulltiming we wanted the 'best' but we couldn't afford it. And even then, they have their problems........only more expensive ones.

We settled on a Cougar fiver and have had it over 3 years and love it.
Several small items happened here and there but we always were able to fix them all ourselves.

Still loving my Cougar and hope after you get all items fixed to your liking you'll love your new camper too!

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
matthewc45

This is just a trade mark for keystone. They should name there company lemon. I bought a new 2010 springdale last year and it has been in the shop more than it has been at the campground. Talk to the dealership today about trading it in and was told that there was to many issues with the camper to take it in on trade!! The only good thing is i have extend warrerty. I all can tell you is be ready to drop it off at the shop after every camping trip.
matthewc45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
CarKath

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathiS View Post
We bought our 2010 Cougar 318SAB 5th wheel in Nov last year. The trailer was used for 2-3 months then traded in for a Montana (at least that's what the dealer told us). It is under warranty until July 2011 and thank god we purchased a 4 year extended warranty.

Bad speaker

Now on a long road trip, two more problems have surfaced. Our galley tank is leaking water from the top. Service center said it's likely the seal or the tank isn't sitting straight. Major repair because it's at the top of the tank. They said the entire inside of therefore insulation was wet and it looked like the problem has existed for a while. Next we discovered that the rear two tires are wearing unevenly in the exact same spot. We were told it most likely means a bent axle. We have not put a lot of miles on this trailer and stay on major roads avoiding potholes as much as possible. I would hope the axle is sturdy enough to handle a few bumps.

So we are left wondering if we have a lemon or if this is normal for trailers? I could understand this more if we bought an older trailer and know things will go wrong over time but so much right off the bat? Do we have any recourse with Keystone or the dealer?
Your 2010 could have been bought in 2009 easily.Dealers lie, that's what they sometimes do...unfortunately. Sales are sales.

What matters more is manufactures date. Then actual sale date for first owner.Tag should be by doorway.

Extended warranty or not, do yourself a favor and fix the simple things yourself and move forward. The things you have no comfort level for or ability, leave for the dealer.

Easy fixes for many problems will save you a trip to dealership. Which costs can run out of control. Factor in what your time is worth, parts, and travel costs to dealer before you run there.

Is your warranty 100% parts and labor? How far is dealer from you? It all plays in.

Did you get a lemon? My guess is NO.
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
Me.Bikes.Dogs

Hi Kathi, It is certainly a pain in the arse when a new purchase doesn't go as planned, especially something as expensive as a RV trailer. Looking through your list it looks like half of the items are defects from a part supplied to Keystone by another suppliers. Axle, speaker, pigtail, switch, shade. Those are items that could go bad no matter the maker or amount of money spent. The other items are production issues and again, aren't unique to Keystone, but we'd love to see them improve their production issues.

If you love your dealer and their quality of repair, keep them fixing everything. If not, fix the smaller things yourself, then you'll know they are done right and leave the bigger things for the dealer.

Inspect the repairs before accepting a "fixed" trailer to make sure the repairs are complete and up to your standards, not the dealer's. For instance, give that wood trim a little tug before you drive off after repairs. Preferably with a dealer employee standing with you. Not to say they'll fix it to your standards but if you don't inspect the repairs before you leave, you won't have any legs to stand on if something fails again. And it's better to have it repaired 100% while at the dealer instead of having to tow it back and forth.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:22 AM   #7
Jeffrey11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathiS View Post

Bad speaker

I do not think you have a lemon. All travel trailers and 5ers from all brands have issues. the better the trailer the less the issues. It is sad that manufactures artificially inflate the price and then leave huge margin with poor parts. We must remember this is a house on wheels and put together with staples and glue on an assembly line made for speed not quality. If you want a flawless travel trailer you would need to start your own company.

Its sad but true - the problems you listed are all pretty basic less that axel. I would fix it and enjoy. I am on my 3rd trailer in 3 years and decided that most dealers are incompetent and most trailers have issues.
Jeffrey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
Me.Bikes.Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey11 View Post
It is sad that manufactures artificially inflate the price and then leave huge margin with poor part.
Well that is a pretty damning statement and pretty broad as well. I take it you worked for Keystone otherwise how would you have such first hand knowledge.

I owned my own retail store for 17 years and heard that all the time. Frustrating when I'm trying to find and pay employees that will actually work, buy US made products that are more expensive because I think it's the right thing to do and still have enough left over to pay a mortgage. Somebody always thought prices were too high and I was ripping them off. Not everyone in retail and manufacturing is a crook. Many of us are trying to do the best we can.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #9
SAABDOCTOR

TO ME.BIKES.DOGS. I AM WITH YOU! BEEN IN THE AUTO REPAIR FOR 40 YEARS. OWEND MY OWN FOR 20. I KNOW THERE IS BAD SUFF OUT THERE AND IT MAKES IT HARD FOR THE GOOD GUYS. I HAVE A 2010 MONTANA 3750FL YEH IT IT HAD SOME ISSUES BUT I WOULD NOT CALL IT BAD OR ARTIFICALLY INFLATED PROFIT MARGIN. LOOKING FORWARD TO FULL TIMING IT IS A FEW YEARS OFF GLAD YOU MADE IT
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote