Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
jqp_ptc

Drilled Hole into fresh water tank. Doh!

While mounting some scissor jack stabilizer bars, I unintentionally drilled a hole into my fresh water tank on my 2013 31BHPR. Ooops!

I found an "Eternabond aluminum tank repair kit" on Amazon and ordered it. It looks straight forward enough. Peel, stick. We don't use the fresh water tank that much, but I'd like to get it fixed ASAP.

Looks like peeling back the black plastic underbody covering will be the biggest part of the job. Luckily the tank is close to the front of the trailer.

The fun never ends.

JQP
jqp_ptc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Yep .... Stuff happens. We could just move this thread to "Mods" and call it a speed drain or sprinkler option. The right size stainless steel screw with some "SealAll" will work also. Don't ask me how I know but it works on gas tanks too. Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:27 AM   #3
richf28

Made that mistake myself one time. I drilled the hole a bit bigger and inserted an expandable rubber plug like those used in a boat and then used it as a drain.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:51 AM   #4
rjsurfer

No need to "peel" back the underbelly just cut a 3 sided hole large enough to work through and when finished use some Gorilla tape to seal it up.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
jqp_ptc

Well, the hole is situated on top of the cross member I drilled into... so I'll have to get the underbelly material out of the way so I can raise the tank up enough to get in there to patch it.
jqp_ptc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
ktmracer

If the hole isn't to big, just get one of the rubber sensor plug replacements and drill the correct size hole and use it to plug the hole.

And, don't ask me HOW I know that works!!!!

If the tank is polyethelyne, IMHO the only other way to have a long term effective patch is to have a shop spinweld on a patch. round patches are available along with fittings, and they attach them to a high speed router and use friction to melt and weld the material together. Polyethelyne is a real bugger to get stuff to stick to it.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:13 AM   #7
PerryB

I'm with Hank on the stainless screw method. If you don't have enough room to get in there with a screwdriver, I'd bet you good money that a squirt of clear silicone would never leak and never fail. Give it a rivet head finish for more adhesion area and rest easy. -- Ron has the access method. If you properly clean the sheeting, Gorilla tape will NOT peel off. Even if you want it to later! ** I just noticed you ordered an aluminum tank repair patch kit. The tank is plastic.
PerryB is offline   Reply With Quote