Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
bdaniel

Black Tape and Fabric on Under Side

Underneath one of my slide outs near the end, there is a strip of the black tape about 3 inches wide that runs from the outside of the slide out to the inside. This is on top of the normal black stuff that covers the exposed under belly of the RV. I don't know why the tape was added.

However the tape must have had a wrinkle in it or maybe the edge caught on the carpet and it appears to have started "rolling" as the slide out is retracted and extended. Now the tape is pretty rough and is leaving black stick residue on the carpet inside.

There is about an inch of clearance at the top of the slide out when I retract it a couple of inches so I jacked up the slide out about one inch after retracting it a couple of inches. I used a long board on top of the jack to spread the weight.

I can not feel a screw or any other reason the tape would be torn. I put one strip of Gorilla Tape over the area from the outside of the slide out to the inside just like the original tape.

However after retrieving/extending the slide out one time, the back of the Gorilla tape is already coming off.

I think I need to get some more of the black tape used on the underside of these things. So... finally... my question is: What is this stuff called and where can I get a roll of it?

Thanks,
Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
therink

My guess is that it is Eternabond tape. The same stuff used on roof seams. I believe it comes in black as well as white.
I find it interesting that Keystone is using this on the edges of the slide undersides. I have read many cases of water leaking through the black darco fabric on the slides. It is good to see Keystone added the tape. I may install tape on my slides as the potential for water leaking through the fabric edges concerns me.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:33 AM   #3
293owner

I also added the Black Eternabond. And just like the factory install...started to roll up & put a black streak on the carpet. Guess there is just not enough space.
293owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:42 AM   #4
bdaniel

The name of the black material is 'Scrim Shield' and a common part number is 14-9271.

My local RV dealer sold some to me by the foot. I repaired the slide this weekend. I don't know yet if it is going to hold up. I have noticed that some manufacturers have started using a solid material for the slide bottoms. That seems like the best solution but don't see anyway to retrofit my slide.

Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote