Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Festus2
Site Team

Winegard 12V Socket

This past camping trip, I tried inserting a 12V cigarette lighter-type plug into the 12 receptacle that is part of the Winegard TV aerial junction box. The plug was off a GPS 12V chord and wouldn't go in - seemed too big. Tried a second plug from a different 12v charger -- same thing, wouldn't go in. Tried a third plug - same result.
On the way home, I stopped in at CW and spoke to the service tech who said that sometimes these 12v receptacles are a "bit tight" and you really have to push them hard to make them go in.
Went back outside and tried again using a bit more pressure --- and at that point I decided to quit before I pushed the wall in or if it did go in, I would never be able to get it back out again.
When I got back home, spoke to an RV friend who has the same Winegard TV aerial junction and he has the same trouble although it does go in but not easily at all.

Has anyone else experienced the same difficulty of inserting a 12v plug into their Winegard receptacle? If so, did you do anything which solved this problem?
Old 09-26-2009, 04:10 AM   #2
Flyguy

Yes, mine does the same thing, Winegard doesn’t want you to plug anything into it except a 12vdc TV was what I was told by my dealer, anyway I just thought that the plug should work correctly no matter what DC plug you use, standard should be standard. I thought about taking the unit off and honing the socket sides out a little just so it would work better, but it's not high on my list of priorities. Here's a link to the manual, note the highlighted section of the maxium current for that outlet. http://eaa1358.com/Passport/TV%20Ant...a%20Manual.pdf
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
bennydog

Interesting...I just went out to the trailer and tried the one that came with the TV, one I use to charge my iphone and mp3 and one that I use for my laptop. All 3 worked fine with what I would call an appropriate amount to pressure to insert. I do have a 400 watt portable inverter that is almost impossible to get out of any outlet I use it in. The ground fins are sprung so tight I've actually stopped using it until I can replace the plug. I wonder whats different between yours and mine?

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
bennydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Flyguy

Nothing except for variances in manufacturing, my Winegard 12v socket is so tight that I can't even get the plug in at all. if I push hard the whole plastic outlet plate flexes so bad that I know it will break. I have a 12v outlet that I was planning to add in the trailer near the dinette and splice it off of the run I have for the backup lights and the exterior 12v outlets, my Winegard plate is mounted in a ridiculous place behind the TV and I have to stand on the dinette seat to reach up and behind the TV just to push that little black button and turn on the power amp at the antenna, the next model year they moved it to an adjacent wall for easier access.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

This morning, I rounded up 2 more 12v plugs and tried to insert them into the Winegard socket. I couldn't get these two in either and again noticed the plate and wall flexing. That makes 5 plugs, all of which are used for 5 different applications, and not one of them fit. This tells me that the Rinegard socket is too small to accept standard-sized 12v plugs and that there is nothing wrong with the sizing of the plugs. Like Flyguy, I plan to install a separate 12v socket in a more convenient location and one which will accept standard-sized plugs. I was planning to use a 400W inverter with the Rinegard socket but now have bought a 700W which I will wire directly to the battery.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
HermitKrab

I bought a 12V fan that can be clip-on or permanent mount for the bedroom in my Springdale 266, and also found that the 12V Winegard socket was too small to plug it into. Fortunately I have a convertor from another appliance that I never use that plugs in to 110V and has a 12V socket.
Glad I don't have a need for a 2nd TV (or 12V) at this time, because that is annoying.
I've thought about adding a socket that can be used, but it's not a necessity for me yet.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
sbebenelli

I tried using the 12v socket to charge my cell phone in my old Jayco and ran into the same problem. It would not go in. I thought TV's must've used a smaller plug and that's why it says for TV use only. I guess it's just a design defect. Why would Winegard allow this to happen?

BTW I live in Burlington, IA the same town Winegard is located.

2010 Keystone Hidout
2000 Chevy Silverado 5.3 4:10 gears
Equal-i-zer Hitch
sbebenelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

The Winegard socket to which I referred to in my earlier post, does not mention anything about "for TV use only" but does say that you shouldn't insert anything requiring a draw of more than 8 amps or anything else with high current draw.
Seeing as how you live in the same place as Winegard, how about dropping in there and asking them why everybody's elses standard 12V plug won't fit into their socket?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
Stargazer

I noticed the same thing in our old trailer. I was able to plug in a portable 12v vacuum into it with some effort, but then I couldn't get it back out. The plug was jammed and came apart when I pulled it out. I had to use pliers to get out the stuck in piece ..... and I never used that plug again .
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
witekjm

What happened to the Passport Manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy View Post
Yes, mine does the same thing, Winegard doesn’t want you to plug anything into it except a 12vdc TV was what I was told by my dealer, anyway I just thought that the plug should work correctly no matter what DC plug you use, standard should be standard. I thought about taking the unit off and honing the socket sides out a little just so it would work better, but it's not high on my list of priorities. Here's a link to the manual, note the highlighted section of the maxium current for that outlet. http://eaa1358.com/Passport/TV%20Ant...a%20Manual.pdf
Flyguy, What happened to the Passport Manuals website? There was good information there. Did you move it somewhere else? -John
Old 08-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
Johnnyfry

12volt sockets

Frankly, all of these lighter style 12 v sockets are crap. They are either too tight or they have a poor intermittent connection.

I installed one for my WiFi Ranger router and it is flakey to say the least. It drops the connection at inconvenient times..

I really wish that someone would come up with a reliable design, but I guess that the lighter style is just too well entrenched.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #12
randy69

Something interesting

Received this E mail the other day. It may answer some questions.

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote