Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2011, 07:13 AM   #21
Frogdown

Labels

Labels? I don't see no stinking labels!
Frogdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #22
Outbackmel

At least we have handles

In my boating, pre RV years, a friend was on the fly bridge of his boat; wife and 3 yr old below. Baby stood up and switched the macerator discharge pump to "on" while in port. BAD BABY; BAD NEWS... VERY BAD....

On a recent motorhome trip, a CRAZY retired friend stopped at a rest area. Before going inside the facility, this guy opens his grey water outlet over a drain. People thought it was BLACK WATER WASTE and called NY state police. To keep from getting a ticket or going to jail, he proved grey versus black by reaching down and spashing it all over his face! They lectured him and let him be on his way.

S _ _ _ happens!
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #23
Johnnyfry

Mislabeled valves

So it has been definitely confirmed, Keystone employs dislexic workers on the production line. I guess I'd say just buy a label maker and deal with it.

Happy holidays to all.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #24
Outbackmel

Keystone

Just was at RV world of Georgia here in Buford, yesterday. I was inquiring on some matching "seam tape". Showed me on the computer, like 7 variations. His ending comment was: Keystone is like working on a new puzzle with the same parts except each piece goes in a different way. Kind of sums it up.
A little more "consistency" would be helpful. How about a manual that really reflects how YOUR unit is supposed to work. Heck, I'd pay an extra $100 for that option!
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #25
gkainz

I just thought about this again - maybe the fault is not with the labeler - maybe the person who connects the cables to the dump valves is presented with 2 (or 3) cable ends, and 2 (or 3) valves - "Hook 'em up, Joe, and get busy on the next one."

and then maybe enough complaints came back to Keystone and they fired the label maker... and that's why mine came without ANY labels?
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #26
Pawpod

Our other trailer, not a keystone, had the labels backwards also. Found out when we did our shakedown trip. Used nice fresh water..
Pawpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #27
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
Howdy All;

My 2 forward tanks were not labled, so, instead of waiting for the black to fill-up I ran some water into the shower and lavey to check for leaks and valve pull location.

10 minutes later ... pulled the front valve ...BINGO! We have a winna!

Now my 'dump routine' is close Kitchen valve, open Black, Flush (rinse), Black, closeBlack, Open Front Gray, close Front Gray, re-open Kitchen.

I fulltime and stay hooked to the ground (Sanatiary Drain to city sewage).

hank
Do you leave the galley open all the time?

Just spent our first week on the tanks, in this unit. So I dumped the Black and flushed with about 20 Gals of fresh water (no tank flush unit (YET)), then galley, then Grey (Bath) drain tube was nice and clean.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #28
scottm1

Makes you kinda wonder if they aren't putting the labels on wrong intentionally since they had been doing it wrong for so long....doesn't it? You would think that after a little while the dealers would have clued the factory in on the mistakes to make the correction if the factory even cared a little bit. Since it seems to be going on so long, they either don't care, or are doing it on purpose. Someone at the factory is probably giggling his butt off everytime another one rolls off the line with mis labeled tanks while saying under his breathe "Let the sucker figure this out the hard way".
scottm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #29
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottm1 View Post
Makes you kinda wonder if they aren't putting the labels on wrong intentionally since they had been doing it wrong for so long....doesn't it? You would think that after a little while the dealers would have clued the factory in on the mistakes to make the correction if the factory even cared a little bit. Since it seems to be going on so long, they either don't care, or are doing it on purpose. Someone at the factory is probably giggling his butt off everytime another one rolls off the line with mis labeled tanks while saying under his breathe "Let the sucker figure this out the hard way".
What I find a lot more annoying is that the dealers don't catch it, the owners do. Think about that for a moment.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #30
hankaye

scottm1, Howdy;

Yes I leave the Galley drain open ... until I get ready to dump the
'others' then I close it. Re-open after the other 2 are empty...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #31
randy69

Dump valve not label

Maybe that's why my 3 holding tanks didn't come with labels. So I can't blame anyone. And yes the biggest pipe is black water . I had put water into the toilet to check it out. And the other 2 dump valves are gray, Bathroom and kitchen sink. If you guys aren't sure about your black water dump valve and go to hook up a hose to flush the tank with the valve closed You can rupture the black water tank.
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:20 AM   #32
kisgrigg

Montana Mountaineer backwards too

I posted a problem earlier about not being able to dump my #2 gray tank, and saw this posting about the mislabeling of the valves. Did a little experiment pulling the black tank handle, and voila! the gray tank emptied. I think it might be helpful if the owners manual was a little more detailed. The eHow website had more information than the factory manual did.
kisgrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #33
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisgrigg View Post
I posted a problem earlier about not being able to dump my #2 gray tank, and saw this posting about the mislabeling of the valves. Did a little experiment pulling the black tank handle, and voila! the gray tank emptied. I think it might be helpful if the owners manual was a little more detailed. The eHow website had more information than the factory manual did.
The problem now is that your black tank has been sitting there for several days with the valve open. That means that all the fluids are drained and the solids are beginning to build up which can be a very difficult situation to reverse.

Fill the black tank with water to at least 3/4 full. Let it sit for a half day or so and then drain it. Repeat several times.

It's a good practice to only open the black valve when you want to dump. Leave it closed most of the time to allow sufficient fluid to soften the solids and then float them away from under the toilet drain pipe. Adequate fluid in the black tank also helps to move out the solids when you do dump.

There are several other recent threads about the black tank problem. They contain more detail about solving it and preventing it.

As for the owner's manual, we all recognize that the Keystone manual is generic and very short on detail. Our forum here contains more valuable information than the manual ever could. I recommend reading over as much as possibly can. Many of the older threads are virtual goldmines of information.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #34
oldfrog

Glad to see I wasn't the only one with reversed labeling on my new Loredo, but you know what? It didn't take long to figure out & this was the easiest fix of any problem I've ever had.
oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:45 AM   #35
michol02

Relabeled mine last week.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343652277.013238.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	1650Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343652307.904085.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1651

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:39 AM   #36
hankaye

Howdy All;

Puzzle solved !!!

Keystone has pourposely mis-labled the valves.
Reason ...
So that when those miscreatiants that
enjoy 'pranks' pull the Black handle (as marked),
while you are at a fuel stop or taking a break from
driving, so you'll have a mess on your hands (kinda
literialy), when you go to hook-up.... will only be pulling
the Gray valve....

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #37
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

If you have a solids problem in your blackwater tank, fill your tanks about 1/2 to 3/4 and then 5 or 6 bags of ice, enough ice that it just doesn't melt away, then go for a ride. The ice sloshing around will help break up the solids. So a nice twisty back road or a lot of city blocks with lots of left and right turns. Even a couple of good steep angled lot entries will help.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #38
The Sod Father

The above is a good suggestion but I would also add a hefty amount of laundry detergent to the cocktail to help liquify solids. Gross, I know.. but ARE talking about brown trout.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote