Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2012, 03:16 AM   #1
KyCamper

Unhappy White heat marks on dining table

Does anyone know what the top of the dining table in the Alpine 5th wheel is made from....real wood or laminate? Just purchased a new 2012 Alpine 3450RL and on our second trip out placed a paper plate with hot burgers on it and it left a white heat mark despite having a fairly thick placemat underneath. Trying to figure out if there is a way to get rid of this mark or will we have to replace the table?
KyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
jsmith948

The DW uses the GelCote polish given to us by the dealer - uses it on the toilet, sinks and shower as well - works great

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Kycamper -

If you look at the underside of the table, you might be able to tell whether the top is wood or laminate on top of compressed particle board. IF the table is wood, do a Google search using this subject:
"How To Remove White Heat Stains on Wood Table".
There are numerous ways this can be done including using white cotton material such as a towel or shirt and a steam iron. Several YouTube videos show how this is done. It sounds and looks weird but seems to work --- according to the demonstrations.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
KyCamper

Possible solution?

Thanks for the responses. On a whim, I contacted Keystone RV and they informed me that the table top is wood. They also gave me the name of a product called "Super Blush Retarder" made by Mohawk that "contains a solvent designed to eliminate blushing (hazy whiteness or cloudiness due to trapped moisture) in lacquer finishes". Going to see if I can track that down on the internet and give it a try....I'll post the outcome.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
kroencke

We have the white heat marks on our Alpine table and we have been very careful to not put anything hot on the table. I just tried the iron, white pillow case solution and it totally worked. White heat marks are gone. My husband was going to refinish the top but won't have to now. YAY!
kroencke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

kroencke -
I was wondering if anyone on here would try the white towel and iron procedure. You have and it worked so I guess the YouTube demos were for real! Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
KyCamper

Smile

I was able to secure the Mohawk Super Blush Retarder from a local retailer for about $8 a can. I tried it out on the table top and the results were miraculous. It worked like it said it would and the marks disappeared almost immediately. One stubborn spot needed an extra spray. Instructions should be followed very carefully....hold spray 12-14 inches from table and just a very light spray. Afterwards when the spray had dried I applied a good polish. The table looks better than new. It's good to know that the iron and white cloth works as well. I was actually more hesitant about applying the iron technique because it seemed to apply moist heat would make it worse than applying a chemical....because that's what caused the problem in the first place. Now that I know the Mohawk stuff works I'm ready to try it on some of my cherry tables at home.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
KyCamper

And another thing....to be extra careful with the table I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a roll of cork for about $15 and cut to size rectangles to put underneath my placemats for more protection.