Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2020, 07:49 PM   #1
B3Dcampers

Avalanche 313RS

We just purchased a new Avalanche and when disconnecting the water hose from the camper I noticed something that looked like a potential for a future problem.

Where the water hose passes through the bottom of the rv there is a plastic screw cap that screws in from the bottom side and another one that screws in from the top side. With the two plastic caps removed you can see what looks like plywood around the perimeter of the hole where the water hose and tv cable would pass through. It appears to be bare plywood and I wondering with this potentially being a wet area is there a issue with the plywood deteriorating in the future?

Has anyone encountered this and if so given any thought to a way of protecting the plywood?
2022 F-350, 4x4 dually
Jacksonville, TX
B3Dcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:19 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I looked at ours when I first got it and I believe it had a metal lining. It's not here right now to check but bare wood, caps or not, isn't a good thing IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:59 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The front bulkhead under the front storage space on my fifth wheel is an extension of the front wall in the bedroom above it. That means the actual wall on the front lower section of my trailer is 1/8" luan wallboard (just like the rest of the interior trailer walls)....

I was concerned with this "vulnerability" when we bought the trailer, so I sprayed that area with a can of "vehicle undercoat spray". That was 7 years ago and all is well. There is another owner of a similar Cougar that lives near me. He "over-reacted" and built an aluminum cover to install in that area on his trailer. His front panel has "rotted out from moisture"... I'd suspect that what happened is his "more rigid and protective solution" actually created a "bucket to trap the water/condensation" during towing and camping. He's had to rebuild his front end while mine is still "like new"...

I'm not bragging about my luck, but rather making a suggestion that you can "overprotect that area" and do more harm than good..... You might want to consider "waterproofing that bare OSB with a quality spray undercoating or waterproofing product" rather than covering the area, possibly trapping water in the area if it happens to get into that space.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:44 AM   #4
Roscommon48

it should be a metal wrap around the two caps????? interesting, maybe it is a new way for them to save money.
you'll have to check out another new rv to see what they have now.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #5
Javi

Okay... I looked at mine last night as I packed for this weekend..

The raw plywood you see is the floor of the basement it is not even the floor of the trailer.. (think 10" drop) And mine looks like it has been semi-sealed with a clear coat of something..

If it bothers you it would pretty simply to paint it with some of that spray rubber as seen on TV..

This will show the difference in the actual floor of the trailer and the floor of the basement..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Surge Guard Fubar.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	30105  
Old 10-02-2020, 09:13 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I'll be headed to the dealership today for my weekly "sit down" with them to get an update on the progress of my repairs. I'll try to get to it to see how bad my memory is and if mine is just plain wood or not. I've not got to be in/look at it enough since I bought it to actually be sure.
Old 10-02-2020, 04:53 PM   #7
B3Dcampers

Well, thank you all for your responses. I completed a little more research and it appears that keystone using a plywood with a resin in this area. I went to a nearby dealer and took a look
At a couple of Alpines and Avalanches just to verify. I was told to not put any coating on it as it might trap moisture.
2022 F-350, 4x4 dually
Jacksonville, TX
B3Dcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:17 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I returned a while ago from the dealership where my trailer is at the moment and I checked this. As I remembered (how is that?) there is an aluminum preformed, sealed collar under each of the plastic rings for the screw in caps. Moisture will not be getting in there.