Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
gwatts

276RLS Cougar Water Tank Fill Valve

I have a 2 year old 276RLS. I had it winterized the last two years by a local RV repair. I have the city water hooked up an it keeps filling my water tank. It never did this before.
I called the dealer today before they closed and the switch valve is not located near where the hose hooks up. I have looked thru the book and all thru the trailer, in all the compartments.
Anyone have any ideas where the heck this valve is located?

Garry
gwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

There is no valve that you can move .... it is a check valve (one way) mounted on (or in) your water pump that is either stuck or has something lodged in it.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
gwatts

Ok, that explains it.. Where can I find the water pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
There is no valve that you can move .... it is a check valve (one way) mounted on (or in) your water pump that is either stuck or has something lodged in it.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwatts View Post
Ok, that explains it.. Where can I find the water pump
It is in different locations in all models. The easiest way to find it is to turn on the pump and listen to where it is ..... it will be fairly loud. If you run water it will stay on until you can find the pump. Just running water through the pump may clear the check valve.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
gwatts

Awesome, thanks so much for the help. I pray that it is not under the trailer in the insulated part :-) Tomorrow project after some golf.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Rest easy - your water pump will not be under your TT. It will most likely be mounted on the floor near your sink or your FW tank. You might have to remove a panel or drawer to get access to it. Follow Hank's advice and use your ears to locate it.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
gwatts

I can hear it under the sink area. Will look an listen more tomorrow when I am fresh with energy.
Found this site tonight on a search. Thanks for the fast replies.

The dealer told me there was a valve to pull near the water hook up. Nice dealer, but like the 3rd time they have given me wrong information about the product they sold :-) Its probably common in this business.

Thanks again.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwatts View Post
Awesome, thanks so much for the help. I pray that it is not under the trailer in the insulated part :-) Tomorrow project after some golf.
That's what I like to see. Priorities! "Maybe Mañana" after golf.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
billstuart

The dealer may be right. My owner's manual says there is a valve you can throw to cause the tank to fill when hooked to city water - time was when virtually all RV's were plumbed that way. Of course, since the manual is a generic POS and not specific to the trailer, it doesn't tell me where the valve is, so I'm not much help in that regard. If there is one, the dealer [I]should[I] be able to tell where it is, I would hope.
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection

Previous RV's:
1992 Prowler 35' Bunkhouse
1986 Fireball 30'
1978 Nomad 24'
1963 Kenskill 19.5'
1972 Dyna Cruiser Camper on '72 F-250
A Tent
billstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:18 AM   #10
gwatts

Ok, I found the pump.. Have my one sheet that tells me about it. Where is this valve that my be stuck? I have a flojet triplex diaphragm 3426/3526/3626 series. I have ran the thing on the pump and city water. It still fills the tank...thnks for any more help you can send in my direction..

Garry
Old 06-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #11
jsmith948

It would seem to me that, if your RV has a manual valve that allows you to fill the FW tank while connected to city water, the valve would be easily accessed as opposed to behind a panel somewhere. If you can't see or locate a manual valve, then you must be experiencing a problem with the check valve. As stated by other members in earlier posts, the check valve is either in the pump or downstream from the pump. Does your pump build up pressure and then shut off and if so does it then hold pressure? IMO that would seem to rule out a problem with the check valve as I believe the check valve that allows pressure to be maintained in the lines is the same valve that prevents backflow into FW tank. Don't know if this helps - just sort of thinking out loud

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #12
gwatts

Searched high an low for another manual valve. Reading the manual on the trailer (not worth the paper it's printed on) an the one sheet from flojet it appears the pumper has a check valve. I've cycled the pump an city water cycles no changed. Flushing tank now an leaving for campground will see what happens when I get there. The pump continues to cycle, so that again tells me something is open.

I am now assuming the easy thing is to replace the pump if it doesn't shake loose driving an refilling... ?
Old 06-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #13
jsmith948

If the pump "continues to cycle" the check valve is not working. If you hook up to city water it will keep filling your FW tank until it overflows. I guess you could fill your tank and then run your pump manually when you use water - good luck with it

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #14
gwatts

Well it has unstuck by its self. Thanks for the education. Glad to have found this forum....