Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2019, 10:45 AM   #1
Wadeo68

120 disconnected propane refrigerator won’t work

Interesting and confusing scenario. When I disconnect 120 power supply almost nothing works in 2014 Keystone Bullet. Battery is 100%. Propane fridge won’t stay on which is what’s odd. Also, when disconnected I turned the ceiling lights on the module the refrigerator turned on! Could it be a blown breaker? Faulty? All fuses and breaker appear to look fine. Thanks in advance in this mystery.
Wadeo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm guessing you have a Dometic RM2652 refrigerator? If so, what happens if you leave the trailer connected to shore power and press the eyebrow "GAS/ELEC" switch? Does the refrigerator switch to gas operation? If so, the only difference is that the 12VDC is being supplied by the converter while with the shore power disconnected, the 12VDC is being supplied by the battery.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
Wadeo68

I have an Atwood refrigerator. Gas and electric. We were hoping to go camping “ off” grid either the assistance of the battery but that may change. I’m wondering if there is a short somewhere which will be a needle in haystack.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

You need to do a little sleuthing. There are 2 different power systems in the RV, 3 if you count LP. You have 12vdc and 120vac - they power different things. What works, what doesn't? Microwave, AC, wall outlets - all AC, do they work? 120vac. Ceiling lights, water pump - do they work? 12vdc. Then you get into control modules, the converter etc. Determine exactly what works and doesn't a let us know. And, how do you know the battery is "100%"?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:19 AM   #5
Wadeo68

Battery meter said she was 100%. Just would like to figure out why when i disconnect 120 nothing works off battery.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeo68 View Post
Battery meter said she was 100%. Just would like to figure out why when i disconnect 120 nothing works off battery.
The "battery meter" will always read 100% if you're plugged into shore power and will only read 4/4, 3/4, 2/4 or 1/4 if unplugged. That is, at best, a guess on what the battery condition "might be". A battery at 13.4VDC may be good with no load and may go to 10 VDC with the application of a load, so pressing that button and seeing 4 LED's doesn't mean much.

That's why I asked if the refrigerator gas function operates when you press the gas button. If it does, it's getting the 12VDC from the converter. If you unplug the trailer from shore power, then the refrigerator is getting its 12VDC from the battery. If it doesn't work without shore power, the only thing that's changed is where the 12 volts is coming from (converter or battery)... That would, to me, indicate a battery issue not a refrigerator issue.

So, does it work on gas when you switch it to gas while connected to shore power? On your model, you'd press the MODE button until the GAS indicator is lit.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:03 PM   #7
travelin texans

My last couple RVs had 3 settings on the fridge, AC=120 volt, LP=propane, AU=automatically switched from gas to elec once plugged to shore power or vice versa.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:15 PM   #8
Roscommon48

wadeo....do you know what is 120 and 12volt? it is odd that when you turn something on the refrig goes on. Put the refrig on LP or AU and turn the lights off and see what happens.
good luck
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:36 PM   #9
Wadeo68

Battery propane fridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The "battery meter" will always read 100% if you're plugged into shore power and will only read 4/4, 3/4, 2/4 or 1/4 if unplugged. That is, at best, a guess on what the battery condition "might be". A battery at 13.4VDC may be good with no load and may go to 10 VDC with the application of a load, so pressing that button and seeing 4 LED's doesn't mean much.

That's why I asked if the refrigerator gas function operates when you press the gas button. If it does, it's getting the 12VDC from the converter. If you unplug the trailer from shore power, then the refrigerator is getting its 12VDC from the battery. If it doesn't work without shore power, the only thing that's changed is where the 12 volts is coming from (converter or battery)... That would, to me, indicate a battery issue not a refrigerator issue.

So, does it work on gas when you switch it to gas while connected to shore power? On your model, you'd press the MODE button until the GAS indicator is lit.

Unplugged camper from shore. Fridge works on gas.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
Wadeo68

Also , battery is at one red dot per module.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:27 PM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeo68 View Post
Also , battery is at one red dot per module.
Need to purchase or find someone with a volt meter, that one red dot really tells you nothing as far as battery voltage. But sounds like you need batteries.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:48 AM   #12
Stumpy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Need to purchase or find someone with a volt meter, that one red dot really tells you nothing as far as battery voltage. But sounds like you need batteries.
A digital volt/Ohm Meter (a VOM) at Home Depot is about $15. Cheaper other places. The OP needs to buy one and have it in the tool box.

As mentioned, a battery at rest may show ok, but at load, will be bad.

Showing only one light on the panel points to a battery problem, as those light are a basic measure of battery voltage. It's unknown what voltage each light corresponds to, but only one light means the battery probably has low voltage.

2014 Keystone Outback 210TRS
2020 F150, 3.5l, 4x4, 3.55:1, Supercrew
Stumpy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:45 AM   #13
foldbak

A must have. Start here!

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-am...ter-61747.html
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane