Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2019, 07:49 AM   #1
BauerAP

Adding light switch?

So for some reason our 2019 Sprinter 32FWBHS does not have a wall switch for the lights in the bunkhouse. The two ceiling lights are controlled only by the switch on them. Why a room that would obviously be for kids have the lights controlled on an 8’ ceiling is beyond me. That’s beside the point and when it was all lit up during pdi it was not though about.

I figure it’s a couple hours worth of work but it’s not really worth $400-500 that I would probably have to pay a dealer to add. If it wasn’t brand new I would have probably already done it. Will me adding a switch void any warranty and does anyone have any hints and tips to go about it.

If I do take on the project I will probably add a double switch in the bathroom as the fan isn’t reachable either.
BauerAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #2
rjniles

Fishing wires into the walls and ceiling of a RV can be difficult to impossible without cutting holes or removing wall paneling. I would run some surface mounted plastic conduit.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

As stated above, running wires in an RV can be daunting. I can’t speak to the warranty implications, but I can give you some insight to RV wiring.

Since there isn’t a wall switch, odds are the wiring for the lights runs along above the ceiling to a point that it is joined to another circuit that is connected to the fuse panel.

You may be able to take the lights off and check if the wires are the same color, meaning one switch is all you’ll need. Then you have to determine where the wires are “run” and where you want the switch. Then you have to open the wall and hope you can see the wires.

At this point you can see it’s going to be a major undertaking. I would really think about it before I started a project of this size.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
BauerAP

There is a switch on the back side of the wall for the bathroom light. I was prepared to take the wall panel off but hope to leave the ceiling alone and fish tape the wire from the fixture. I don’t understand why but some models of the exact same camper have the switch.

I was hoping to get some insight on if removing the panel was really worth it. We have a temporary fix right now but was looking for a long term solution. I wouldn’t take on this project until after the summer anyways.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:24 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Another option would be to install a pull chain switch like on a ceiling fan. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:34 PM   #6
GeekSquadOfUn

Another option worth considering. Go wireless.

I'm doing that for the bathroom fan (replaced with a Vortex II by the way), as my wife is 5ft on a good day and can't reach it..
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:28 AM   #7
srvnt

For about 12 bucks I stuffed a 12 volt remote switch in the ceiling for the light over the master bed. It came with 2 remotes so one went on the wall and the other under the headboard overhead compartment. No more jumping outta bed.

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #8
BauerAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvnt View Post
For about 12 bucks I stuffed a 12 volt remote switch in the ceiling for the light over the master bed. It came with 2 remotes so one went on the wall and the other under the headboard overhead compartment. No more jumping outta bed.
I started looking into that. You have a link or picture?
Old 06-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #9
srvnt

Something like this

https://www.ebay.com/i/182401351988?...iABEgIfI_D_BwE

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light