Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
dat

Electrical problem

I have no 12v power in my trailer, the battery is ok, the 120v works fine just no 12v power.
dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
chuck&gail

So you have no inside lights, right? They run off 12 VDC.

12 volt power comes from two seperate places. If connected to shore power, it comes from the converter (which usually has a circuit breaker on input).

With no shore power it comes from battery. Usually there is a circuit breaker on the frame near the battery. There are often fuses in the electrical panel (where circuit breakers and fuses are).

Pick one, and troubleshhot. IMHO the battery only supply is the easiest to check with your voltmeter (shore power disconnected).
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
alaskalife

The most common problem seems to be the self-resetting breakers somewhere around the battery. Disconnect 120 and battery then re-apply power.

If still no go, check battery disconnect switch. Mine recently went bad and I was confused to what could be left...I had forgot I had this switch, mine isn't near the battery. So, I pulled it out and bypassed it by puuting both wires on one terminal.

Never use the switch, so bypassing not an issue for me.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
Bruzer 71

So this would mean the self resetting beaker is defective if no power getting to the trailer. There is no way to manually reset it correct ?
Bruzer 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat View Post
I have no 12v power in my trailer, the battery is ok, the 120v works fine just no 12v power.
If you have no 12v when even connected to shore power there is a bigger problem then just a self resetting breaker because these breakers are only used for the battery and wouldn't affect 12v power while connected to shore power. I would start by looking to make sure you are getting 12v power to the power center. If there is power then I would check all the fuses to make sure there isn't a bad fuse. If all fuses are good then I would start looking at possibly a bad fuse board or possibly a bad connection in either the power or ground wire for the power center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruzer 71 View Post
So this would mean the self resetting beaker is defective if no power getting to the trailer. There is no way to manually reset it correct ?
The self resetting breaker is just that, so no there is no manual rest to it. When power is removed from the breaker or the reason for the breaker to trip is remedied it will reset. If you have no 12v on just battery power then it could be one of those breakers, a bad ground, bad battery, loose connection, etc..

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Bob Landry

The original post would indicate that he is plugged into shore power since he states he has 120VAC. That being the case, all of the 12VDC power will come from the converter. Nothing happens with the battery when on shore power other than being charged by the converter. If he has no 12V onSP, then either the breaker feeding the converter needs to be reset or he has a defective converter.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
The original post would indicate that he is plugged into shore power since he states he has 120VAC. That being the case, all of the 12VDC power will come from the converter. Nothing happens with the battery when on shore power other than being charged by the converter. If he has no 12V onSP, then either the breaker feeding the converter needs to be reset or he has a defective converter.
If the converter breaker was off or the convert was bad then 12v power would come from the battery still giving them 12v power. The breaker for the converter will stop the converter from putting out a 12v charge but wont stop the 12v from coming into the power center from the battery. If they have no 12v period then there is a more serious electrical issue then just a breaker or a bad converter. Now if the convert was bad and there wasn't 12v coming from the battery for some reason then of course there wouldn't be any 12v.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingcpl View Post
If the converter breaker was off or the convert was bad then 12v power would come from the battery still giving them 12v power. The breaker for the converter will stop the converter from putting out a 12v charge but wont stop the 12v from coming into the power center from the battery. If they have no 12v period then there is a more serious electrical issue then just a breaker or a bad converter. Now if the convert was bad and there wasn't 12v coming from the battery for some reason then of course there wouldn't be any 12v.
He does not need the battery connected when on shore power. He can disconnect the battery and if there is no 12V in the trailer, then he's back to the possibilities I listed.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
f6bits

It’s been ten days and the original poster hasn’t been back. I’d say we’re dead in the water unless they can provide more information.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote