Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
heavyj

2012 395LEV - exterior speakers not working

I took delivery of my shiny new 2012 395LEV yesterday. With my vast experience in campers (that's a joke - we've only been doing this for 3 years) I insisted on an abbreviated walk through from my dealer. I have had extensive experience with these guys and they will always do the right thing - but - in my haste we didn't test the exterior speakers (shame on me) and now I'm 30 miles away with a brand new trailer that's fantastic in every way...except...those pesky exterior speakers don't seem to work.

I can for sure take it back and they will fix it - but its not convenient. I was wanting to take a crack at tracing this down myself...

It has that fancy Sony touch screen sound system and there is a physical switch on that control panel for the external speakers.

I'm popped open the access panel which reveals the glowing sony amplifier
heavyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
heavyj

Xav622

The radio is an sony XAV622. I'm pretty sure I've traced the speaker wires from the outside into the wiring behind the switch panel. I've verified that the switch is functional. Wire lead into a heat shrinked module that i think it s "brains" behind the distribution of the audio based on the switch settings. I've traced the wires to the back of the radio and everything "looks" fine.

I guess I'm gonna drag my trailer back to the dealer for them to tinker with it.

I should probably check out everything else and finish my delivery inspection huh?
Old 03-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
geshields

This may sound simple but did you make sure the balance and fade adjustments were centered on the head unit?
geshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
heavyj

yeah so that was kinda the bummer part of this experience actually. Here we have a fancy Sony XAV-622 head unit capable of 4.1 surround sound but the interior 4 speakers were paired up left and right - no front to back. No surround sound. This head unit is not HD capable either so it's just a RCA video out to the fancy Sony HD TV. Not that any high def movie watching happens in the camper. Because it doesn't. But for list price 75k it seems like for plus $100 in gear they could have delivered HDMI to the TV and wired the interior speakers 4.1.

I pulled the head unit out and found the wiring diagram and verified that the curb side speakers are on the right front channel and the street side speakers are on the left front channel. The wires for the rear speakers are unused on the head unit.

I also can see that the brown exterior speaker wires are wired into this as well. All the speaker wires seem to meet at a mysterious 1in by 2in black heat shrunk board where the switches go - i suspect that's my problem something in there is broke....

Everything *looks* right. I checked the switch out. The amp *looks* right (Sony XM-4S).

So i'm stumped... I'll be tugging my camper back... Minus 2 points on me. But minus 1 point on keystone because now that I've dug into this fancy looking audio system - its just that. Fancy looking.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
heavyj

Turned out that the "mysterious 1in by 2in black heat shrunk board" was the culprit. Everything works now!
Old 04-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
bartletts

My DVD (Jensen) didn't actually connect to the TV when I got mine. It turns out it was connected to the input side of the DVD player instead of the output. 4 screws later and it was fixed. Always carry a #2 square drive!
bartletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
Donegal Bill

Took delivery of my 2012 395LEV last week too

I purchased and on a Wed. put my fifth wheel hitch in my 2010 ford Thursday and left for Spring break trip (2500 miles) without a flaw..Stereo didn't work during Pre delivery inspection..Turned out the fuse in the back of the stereo (actually in the stereo back, near the plugs) was the problem. But all speakers worked great. Rear (garage) stereo is a bit weak..but thats fine, kids room anyway...I'm on your side with the "high tech LOOKING stereo" not really the top of the line.. We have a sony store "outlet" here (chicago area).. with a great blue ray disc player..$69.00 and is a short chassis and fits in the cabinet perfect...perfect picture too...
The dirt devil worked great during pre delivery.. but wouldn't suck during camping...Well, turns out the hose vibrated out of the motor housing...easy DIY repair, behind the wood grate on the upper step...(just an FYI if that happens to you)
Donegal Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
395lev, exterior speakers, sony, speakers