Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2019, 04:01 PM   #1
German Shepherd Guy

Broken cable slide on new 26RBPR

Those of you who know me know I am fairly excited about our first trip in the new TT this Thursday. Today I went out to stow some gear and as I was putting out the kitchen slide (one of two) the cables came loose and the motor popped out of it's mooring. That was this AM. Thank goodness I was not on the road as I had all my tools available. The motor is held fast by a bracket that is attached to the TT by 5 1/4 inch screws 1 inch long. Two of them had stripped loose causing the motor to tilt at a peculiar angle thus causing the lower left cable adjuster to come undone and let loose of the lower cable! I haven't even gone camping yet! I have only towed it 65 miles! It took me all day to fix this as Keystone does not make the fascia easy to remove and thus impossible to put back the way they did. (My way is better and will allow me access again with only modest inconvenience if I need to). Truly unbelievable. I know, I know, it would have been covered under warranty, BUT warranty service is 65 miles away and they would keep it for months. You know it is nice there is a warranty however I would much rather have them build it right from the first try rather than go back in to fix what was an obvious fault the first time. I am so disappointed.
Doesn't anybody take pride in their work anymore?
Thanks to my DW who helped me today. Not much she could do but hand me the tools as I needed them and hold things in place while I fastened them but without her I would still be out there working.
I inspected the motor mount on the other slide and it appears to be OK.. but time will tell.
Gosh, the pride of a new TT ownership........It's hard to BEAT OR COMPARE TO ANYTHING ELSE.

If anyone else is having problems with their slide I am competent now in Keystone cable slides, repair and adjustment.

Thanks for letting me vent guys & gals.
Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:33 PM   #2
MarkEHansen

Truly sorry to hear about this, but better to find it now than while on the trip!

By fascia board, do you mean that real heavy decorative piece which runs along the top of the inside of the slide? Can you share your better way?

In mine, this piece is held on with real long, real skinny screws and I'm worried that taking them out and back in, I'm going to break them.

Good job getting your issue fixed. I'm worried about what will happen if I have problems with mine and I hope I can do as good a job as you did
Old 04-07-2019, 04:44 PM   #3
Frank G

I feel your pain, the sun will rise tomorrow and all will be better. By fixing it yourself you know it is done right and now you know how it works. When we got our latest RV home form the dealer we went to put out the slides and the bedroom slide came loose form its moorings and almost fell to the ground. Yep we fixed it our self and never looked back. Now, 2 years later and this has been an amazing unit, not perfect, but close. Enjoy
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #4
German Shepherd Guy

Frank: Thank you for sharing that, gives me hope all will be well yet.

Mark, My fascia was held on by long STAPLES. Not even screwed in. Once off it was never going back on that way. I drilled holes and countersunk for decorative screws. Coarse thread so they will back out quickly. Spaced them evenly so as to look good and not like some fly-by-night fix.
So, if the slide or motor mount require further attention in the future, I back out 14 screws and all the fascia is off. Then 6 more screws and the backing is off and full access to the motor and cable adjusters. The screws looks good and are not so torqued down as to cause them to break when removed.
Thursday is are first outing!
Supposed to be snowing in the passes but d*** the torpedoes we are going!

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Oak I'm sorry for the problems. Seems like with RVs sometimes everything (maybe) is perfect and no problems and other times you have to work thru stuff. At least you weren't traveling.

With this trailer our first "break in" trip, 10 miles from the dealer revealed a black tank flush that didn't work (backflow preventer - didn't check on PDI). We subsequently lost the control board on the furnace, all under warranty. Our first long trip, on the return, in a driving rain, stopped for gas and found the entire front of the coroplast was drooped pouring a waterfall out from under the trailer...under warranty. The list goes on and on....for the first 1 1/2 years or so. It was a pain but we had (and have had) SO much fun in it. I don't even think about it anymore. Rvs are what they are....money pits.

Like Frank, I have to really dig hard to think about negative things about our trailer simply because it gives us so much. I hope you have this issue resolved and you no other ones in your future. Sometimes it's hard to see, or understand, but, they really do "give back".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, slide