Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
THedges

Bent axles on a Springdale

Has anyone else had axle problems on a Springdale? I had 2 bent axles. When I had my trailer tech look at it he said my axles were barely adequate for this trailer and severely inadequate for how I use it (a lot of off road use). I had two 3500 lb axles and my TT GVW is 7780 lbs. This seems like they are cutting it close.

Long story short I ended up replacing everything from the frame down, 2 -5400 lb axles, new brakes, new leaf springs, new 6 lug wheels.

I am very pleased with everything now and I have been very pleased with the rest of the TT. If Keystone would start adding the bigger axles at the factory they would have one heck of a product.
THedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:55 AM   #2
deadeye

Had the same problems on mine on our 245RL with the same axles. Had a local shop repair them and put heavier springs. If they bend again I will be doing the same as you.
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
linebiker

Springdale is not only Keystone product with those kind of problems. I took note of some uneven tire wear when we returned from our last trip. Took it to a reputable truck and trailer shop nearby that will do rv trailer alignments and found out my right rear wheel was a full ¼ inch out on toe in. I expected something like that but I did not expect him to find trailer was running two inches toward ditch (kinda sideways down road).

Pretty easy to deduct the axles were not mounted correctly from factory, can’t be for sure on tow out part….some event or as built? Would have thought if I hit a bump hard enough to knock it out, the front axle would have got damage also. Should this happen again will have to look at possibility of installing heaver axles. The rating on mine should be good for trailer and load unless stated rate is a bit inflated.

Anyway $250 later, spring shackles drilled and spring bolts relocated on one side, and rear axle bent back to specs, I should be good to go.

08 Raptor 299
06 Dodge 3500 Cummins Lone Star
B&W Companion 5th
linebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
THedges

I hope that gets it solved for you.

It's pretty frustrating since these are things that are pretty hard to detect when you are buying the trailer.
THedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
rrturbo

Question Springs out of line

In dealing with your axel problems, did you happen to notice if the axel springs were aligned. I was replacing actuator under my 3004rl Montana and noticed the springs on the front axel were not lined up. The keeper on one came undone. I"ve pulled big trailers all my life, 57 yrs, and never had a spring get out of line like this. Any thoughts.
rrturbo,thanks
rrturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
CarKath

Important to note the axles are not made by Keystone. And they are designed for regular highway useage. If and person chooses to overload or over work, you do at your own peril.

Dexter supplies most axles to most of the rv's out there, so it is not a brand issue.
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
jje1960

Tire wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by linebiker View Post
Springdale is not only Keystone product with those kind of problems. I took note of some uneven tire wear when we returned from our last trip. Took it to a reputable truck and trailer shop nearby that will do rv trailer alignments and found out my right rear wheel was a full ¼ inch out on toe in. I expected something like that but I did not expect him to find trailer was running two inches toward ditch (kinda sideways down road).

Pretty easy to deduct the axles were not mounted correctly from factory, can’t be for sure on tow out part….some event or as built? Would have thought if I hit a bump hard enough to knock it out, the front axle would have got damage also. Should this happen again will have to look at possibility of installing heaver axles. The rating on mine should be good for trailer and load unless stated rate is a bit inflated.

Anyway $250 later, spring shackles drilled and spring bolts relocated on one side, and rear axle bent back to specs, I should be good to go.
I took note of some uneven tire wear when we returned from our last trip. Took it to a reputable truck and trailer shop nearby that will do rv trailer alignments and found out my right rear wheel was a full ¼ inch out on toe in.

While not a Keystone, our last TT had an un-even tire wear.... We completely wore out a set of tires on our 27QBSS in the first summer... They changed the axles and fixed the problem.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote