Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
BradleyScheirer

Power inverter fuse

On my 2008 3712 raptor, I tried to hook up the electric to a 30amp home circuit and I saw the fuse box smoking. Now when the generator is running the inverter fuse keeps tripping, also the battery keeps going dead, Any ideas ? Before I spend the money and replace the inverter HELP Please
BradleyScheirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Johnnyfry

Inverter

Whoa here,

I believe that you need to check the inverter wiring here. Do you have the inverter wired onto the AC buss directly? If that is the case you may have smoked the inverter. You cannot back feed the inverter from the AC shore power. Likewise you cannot back feed your generator without bad things happening.

Carefully check your wiring.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Is this the first time you connected to this outlet???? Sounds to me like the hot and neutral on your home circuit may be reversed. Are you having trouble with an inverter or the factory converter. The converter may have been damaged while connected to the bad circuit. Now a silly question. Are you sure the home circuit is 110v and not 220v???? That would definitely make it smoke. Good luck troubleshooting the problem, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:21 AM   #4
BradleyScheirer

The inverter is hooked up as it came from the factory, I did try to hook up the shore power using 220 v 30 amp, Do you think its the inverter or the gen? Gen starts and runs
Thanks
Brad
Old 06-16-2011, 04:38 AM   #5
Johnnyfry

Inverter

My error, I was speaking of an inverter, which converts battery voltage into 120V AC, you meant converter, which runs the DC appliances and charges the trailer battery.

From your description, you may have fed 240 V AC into your system by plugging an outlet not properly wired for R/V use. If this is indeed the case, you may have fried your converter. It is unlikely that the generator is affected unless it is improperly wired.

You need to have the converter checked as well as the outlet. Properly wired 30 amp outlets do not have 240V.

John
Old 06-16-2011, 04:38 AM   #6
BradleyScheirer

Its the factory converter
Old 06-16-2011, 04:41 AM   #7
BradleyScheirer

I was thinking I fried the factory converter, Any way to take it out and test it ? Costly mistake. Just want to be sure before I buy a new one
Old 06-16-2011, 04:47 AM   #8
Johnnyfry

Inverter

I hit send too quickly. The last sentence should have read " Properly wired 30 amp R/V outlets do not have 240 Volts on them"

I don't have the NEMA spec number handy, but it should have 3 prongs, not 4, with 120v hot to pin 1, neutral to pin 2 and ground to pin 3 (the ood pin). Outlets intended for clothes dryers typically have 240v and should not be used to plug in an R/V.

John
Old 06-16-2011, 04:56 AM   #9
Johnnyfry

Converter

Brad, probably the easiest test is to pull the panel with the converter out and check for fuses. Try replacing them ( after you ascertain that you are plugged into a proper 120v outlet) and see if they immediately blow. If they do, you need to take the converter out to be serviced.

An R/V tech should be able to tell you if it can be serviced or if it beyond economical repair.

Improperly wired outlets are not that uncommon. You should invest in a simple outlet wiring tester and a voltmeter.

John