Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2023, 03:47 PM   #1
TinaMBee1

mattress

Hi! looking to upgrade the mattress in my camper. Reading on various web sites - some say you can use a 'regular' mattress like in your home. Other sites say those mattresses don't stand up to the hot/cold that can occur in campers. I'm sure I'm not the only person that wants to do this or has done it. I figure I'd need a mattress that doesn't require a box spring. Not sure about a foam mattress. My partner is on the heavy side and I'm afraid it would break down quickly. Suggestions please!

TinaMBee1
2014 Keystone Passport
2016 Toyota Sequoia
TinaMBee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 03:58 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I think most everyone that spends much time in their RV upgrades their mattress. Some use toppers but that just never worked for us. We use a residential mattress (about 15" thick IIRC) and it works super. Hot cold etc. doesn't affect it. If you let condensation build up in the trailer it could run down the walls and get it wet but that would happen to any mattress.

Measure what you have. They make several sizes of RV mattresses, some sizes are special RV sizes and others mirror a residential size. You can buy upgraded mattresses from many different suppliers. You don't need a box spring..just the mattress. I don't do foam mattresses but others like them. I would note that without using the box spring and putting the mattress directly on the plywood base a mattress can feel different than it does in the store because it will be on a box spring which gives a bit due to the weight. When I tested then bought the one for this trailer I had to return it and get one one level softer. Makes a WORLD of difference in the quality of sleep IMO.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 04:08 PM   #3
notanlines

“What Danny said.^^^^.”
Don’t shop for an RV mattress, just a mattress. Good quality, we avoid the foam and the like.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:48 PM   #4
debnana

Hello. We bought a 10" memory foam from Amazon 4 years ago. Very comfy and no break down . Husband big guy too and we camp a lot. Still loving it. It was around $225, of course they're higher now, but well worth it. Tried toppers, didn't help a bad mattress...lol.
debnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:49 PM   #5
debnana

Oh yea, regular size queen too.
debnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 03:17 AM   #6
TinaMBee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by debnana View Post
Hello. We bought a 10" memory foam from Amazon 4 years ago. Very comfy and no break down . Husband big guy too and we camp a lot. Still loving it. It was around $225, of course they're higher now, but well worth it. Tried toppers, didn't help a bad mattress...lol.
thank you! what was the brand you bought?

TinaMBee1
2014 Keystone Passport
2016 Toyota Sequoia
TinaMBee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 03:26 AM   #7
spicercars

Memory foam mattress all the way. Not an RV mattress. The first thing we do in a new rv.
Old 05-31-2023, 04:36 AM   #8
rhagfo

What do you have on your bed at home?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 05:43 AM   #9
jxnbbl

On our second trailer, the mattress looked like the first same make/size/material...but it sure as heck was terrible. We sold it after the first trip on Craigslist and bought a bear mattress brand on sale. Never got to use it but this spring just returned from a long trip. It was worth every penny as it was better than those on our own bed at home. This happened to be an RV mattress but it really is great.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 07:16 AM   #10
GlasNav

Went thru the topper routine and it didn't help. Ended up selecting the Brooklyn Bedding solution which allows you to customize the mattress to your needs. We choose one of the hybrid configurations, have used it for a year and truthfully it is as good if not better than what we have at home!
They custom manufacture your selection and ship it vacuumed down in a thick plastic wrap.

www.brooklynbedding.com

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:09 AM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMBee1 View Post
Hi! looking to upgrade the mattress in my camper. Reading on various web sites - some say you can use a 'regular' mattress like in your home. Other sites say those mattresses don't stand up to the hot/cold that can occur in campers. I'm sure I'm not the only person that wants to do this or has done it. I figure I'd need a mattress that doesn't require a box spring. Not sure about a foam mattress. My partner is on the heavy side and I'm afraid it would break down quickly. Suggestions please!

TinaMBee1
2014 Keystone Passport
2016 Toyota Sequoia
Believe me, if there was a mattress that could not stand up to the temperature differences in a rv it would those crappy things rv manufacturers supply they call a mattress.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:29 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

. Using a topper or replacing the mattress is a personal choice. For us we have back injuries and a good, quality mattress is a must. In my experience, placing a topper on a junk mattress is like replacing your tires when the shocks are worn out and expecting a big improvement in the ride.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 11:18 AM   #13
wiredgeorge

We bought our camper used and had the PO throw out the trailer queen sized original almost 20 year old mattress or they used it for a dog bed. I replaced it with a full queen the same as our home full king mattress. 14" inner spring with pillow top. It has held up nicely in cold and hot and can't imagine anyone saying that a camper mattress is some special type that is temp resistant. That is what we call HOOEEEEE in Texas.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 01:53 PM   #14
notanlines

“ That is what we call HOOEEEEE in Texas.”
And similar slang in other states!
Old 06-04-2023, 01:24 AM   #15
Weldon

We purchased a hybrid queen from Amazon in 2020. We love it, but it's not light.

Zinus 8 Inch Hybrid Green Tea... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WVNBMD2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:07 AM   #16
toolittletime

I have bought 3 from this company over the past 5 years. 2 for rv's and one for our apartment.

https://www.foambymail.com/product/4...-mattress.html
They also can do custom sizes......just check the website. Reasonably priced and fast shipping.
No affiliation......just a good product.
Tim
toolittletime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 08:33 AM   #17
Farside

Original mattress wearing out and the plywood platform is causing aches and pains. Put a 2" foam topper on it and I felt like the topper was trying grab me and suck me down into a hole. Currently using the topper under the original RV mattress, it helps a little, but its time to get rid of this combination totally.
Farside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 08:52 AM   #18
Jwaldrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMBee1 View Post

TinaMBee1
2014 Keystone Passport
2016 Toyota Sequoia
We went to the Brooklyn website and purchased a queen mattress for our 5th wheel and are very happy with it. A little spendy but well worth it.
Jwaldrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 09:17 AM   #19
truenorth

Check out Costco. They have RV mattresses.
truenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 02:18 PM   #20
notanlines

Keep in mind that memory foam will simply remind you of how wet your sleep has ….. ah, never mind. Live and learn.

Tags
mattress