Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2023, 02:34 PM   #1
jxnbbl

AC install - interesting problem

Looking for input on options to fix this situation before I continue. I found a surprise while installing a 2nd AC today.

Attached are pictures. First I know some are going to do this...so some tips that worked great for me. I waited for a day which was tolerable, but warm removed the MaxAir cover on the vent and then removed the vent. I found that a paint mixing stick with the heat from the sun made a great tool to remove all the self leveling sealant as well at the gray tape.

Now the interesting surprise. This is all prewired so it should just be easily positioned into place. First the Air Distribution cover wasn't correct so I have to get a new one....so can finish the job next week. BUT.

After getting the unit on the roof and placing (not sliding) it into position it was snug against the plumbing vent. I went inside scratching my head I just realized that the plumbing vent is in an odd position (over a bunk bed)...maybe it had some elbows and, etc, etc.

What I found was it is just a "false" that is screwed into the roof. So the question, what would you do to remove the vent and fix the roof membrane.

The pictures show the AC positioning over the vent inside and out and then there is a picture that shows the inside of the roof with just the vent screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8354.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	44067   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8355.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	44068   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8358.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	44069   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8357.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	44070  
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 03:44 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I have ran into that a couple of times. Factory probably drilled a hole and then realized they goofed….easy fix, put a vent cap on it.

In this case I would just use some eternabond, seal the edges with lap sealant and carry on.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 05:44 AM   #3
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I have ran into that a couple of times. Factory probably drilled a hole and then realized they goofed….easy fix, put a vent cap on it.

In this case I would just use some eternabond, seal the edges with lap sealant and carry on.

Thanks will do! Just another surprise when dealing with modifications. The only reason I'm doing this is....the dealer could get to it by the end of august :-)
Old 05-31-2023, 06:20 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The dealer probably would have "ignored the vent cap" and you'd have never known why they put that piece of Eternabond tape there....

That said, are you sure it's a "sewer vent cap" or is it possibly a "attic vent cap" ??? On more and more trailers, Keystone is venting the attic space by putting two caps, one forward, one aft, that just "open the attic to allow humidity to escape when the outside humidity is lower than it is inside that space....

The attic vents are slightly larger, but easy to glance at them and think, "strange place for a sewer vent"....

Or, with the COVID supply chain issues, they may have run out of "attic vents" and substituted a "sewer vent not attached to anything under the roof" in its place, just to keep the line running....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ATTIC VENT CAP.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	44080  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:40 AM   #5
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The dealer probably would have "ignored the vent cap" and you'd have never known why they put that piece of Eternabond tape there....

That said, are you sure it's a "sewer vent cap" or is it possibly a "attic vent cap" ??? On more and more trailers, Keystone is venting the attic space by putting two caps, one forward, one aft, that just "open the attic to allow humidity to escape when the outside humidity is lower than it is inside that space....

The attic vents are slightly larger, but easy to glance at them and think, "strange place for a sewer vent"....

Or, with the COVID supply chain issues, they may have run out of "attic vents" and substituted a "sewer vent not attached to anything under the roof" in its place, just to keep the line running....

Nope...it is the same as the other plumbing vents (you can see it abutting the white AC....that is just sitting there and still has to move 3" towards the "passenger side"). The other think is there seems to me no vent hole in the plywood from the inside. We will find out this afternoon when I remove it from the roof.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:37 PM   #6
jxnbbl

Just removed the cap. Sure enough I have a perfect circle of screw holes in the TPO and not rip or defect covered or....??? So who knows why this was put on the roof in that position. I wouldn't have even thought to question it unless it wasn't for the placement inside the footprint of the "2nd AC location".
Old 05-31-2023, 03:55 PM   #7
LHaven

Factory covered a temporary interdimensional portal which has since evaporated.
Old 05-31-2023, 03:58 PM   #8
Ramtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Just removed the cap. Sure enough I have a perfect circle of screw holes in the TPO and not rip or defect covered or....??? So who knows why this was put on the roof in that position. I wouldn't have even thought to question it unless it wasn't for the placement inside the footprint of the "2nd AC location".
If all else fails, blame it on the aliens. They came down in their spaceship one night and stuck it on there.
Old 05-31-2023, 04:00 PM   #9
NH_Bulldog

I guess we add this one to the growing list of head-scratchers.

Hey Amos, you can leave for the day as soon as you install those attic vents. 30 seconds later; all done Samuel, see you Monday.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:06 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I think the above explanations are plausible. I'm leaning toward the portal so be careful not to stick your hand "down there". DW started watching the show called "Stranger Things"...maybe it's the entrance to the "upside down". Seal it up! (All said in jest).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 04:59 PM   #11
jxnbbl

Well to close this...I thought I'd post some pictures.

1. the vent cover actually labels is for plumbing as well as attic vent...never noticed before.

2. no defects/rips covered up/holes for a vent or otherwise.

3. now to seal up the screw holes and move on...

BTW, I send a note to Keystone their response..."Unfortunately, this is not a repair we would advise you to do. If the Dealership is not able to look at the trailer until August, I am always able to provide you other Keystone Dealerships in your area for assistance."

Shaking my head as this is "nothing" compared to the other things I've had to fix!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8364.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	44097   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8363.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	44098   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8369.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	44099  
Old 06-01-2023, 05:21 PM   #12
jasin1

Quote:
that vent location is probably for another model of trailer…they probably gave a new guy a job mounting the vents and he wrote down the measurements of the first trailer he was working on and just assumed all models would be the same…

got to be careful how you phrase your instructions to helpers…if you tell them to go to the truck to find a certain wrench …you also need to tell them to bring the wrench back to you….it’s like programming a computer or a robot to do a task..it only knows what you tell it
Old 06-01-2023, 10:38 PM   #13
LHaven

Mystery solved. It was your biological sample collection receptacle.
Old 06-02-2023, 05:12 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Rather than put a piece of EternaBond tape over that space, I think I'd be inclined to "forcefill" each of those holes with DICOR, put a screw into each hole, then cover the screw heads with DICOR. That would completely seal the holes in the wood decking and secure the TPO to the decking AND give you the opportunity to check "each hole" during your sealant checks of the roof membrane.

While a strip of EternaBond would cover the holes, it also will leave 6 places "under the tape and hidden from inspection"...

It's probably a "6 of one/half dozen of another" type of repair, but for me, I'd want the ability to inspect that part of the TPO regularly, not "hope the tape is working".... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 05:42 AM   #15
jxnbbl

Thanks I was thinking that, but when the AC is in place 1/2 that circle of holes will actually be under the AC! I just taped it and then put some sealer on every join. It should last (my) lifetime of the trailer.

Now I have to wait for a new distribution box, I received the wrong one...so covering up my 14x14 hole with a tarp and weighing it down with an AC.

Onto installing slide rollers....while I wait.
Old 06-02-2023, 06:23 AM   #16
dutchmensport

If the vent does nothing, then I'd remove it, put the screws back in the holes and then cover them with Dicor Lap Sealant and call it a day.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:02 AM   #17
CampNBrew2

So the vent cap was screwed to the roof but no hole to the attic was found underneath?

If that cap is also rated for attic venting, is there insect screening inside? I'd hate to have an attic full of wasps or other critters. Hopefully the flatter attic vent shown above has the same screening.
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:03 AM   #18
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNBrew2 View Post
So the vent cap was screwed to the roof but no hole to the attic was found underneath?

If that cap is also rated for attic venting, is there insect screening inside? I'd hate to have an attic full of wasps or other critters. Hopefully the flatter attic vent shown above has the same screening.

Correct no screening!
Old 06-12-2023, 07:56 AM   #19
RKDowner

Quote:
BTW, I send a note to Keystone their response..."Unfortunately, this is not a repair we would advise you to do. If the Dealership is not able to look at the trailer until August, I am always able to provide you other Keystone Dealerships in your area for assistance."

Shaking my head as this is "nothing" compared to the other things I've had to fix!
AFAICT Keystone's standard policy is that owners (and independent shops) are incapable of doing anything and all service or repairs must be done by a Keystone dealer. I would add that apparently Keystone themselves are incapable of doing anything as the dealer must repair the units before delivery.