Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2023, 05:03 PM   #1
zsulli

Toilet leak

We just took our camper out for the first time this season and discovered a fun new leak coming from the back of the toilet! I’m posting a picture with a red arrow pointing to where the leak seems to be coming from and the model of the toilet. Any advice appreciated! For now we just have the water to the camper shut off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1271.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	44026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1272.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	44027  
zsulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 05:54 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Did you winterize your trailer this winter, and more specifically, the toilet? That arrow is pointing to the water valve at the back of the toilet. It sounds like it froze and split somewhere. Not hard to replace you just have to have one...I carry a spare in my box. Here's a little vid I just pulled up (the first one so no comments) so hopefully it helps. If not post back;

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 05:10 AM   #3
zsulli

That looks like what I need! I don’t have the issue with water running inside the toilet bowl nonstop, but that’s got to be the point of failure where water is squirting out from the back of the toilet. I did winterize, but maybe that piece is just worn out. Thanks a ton!
Old 05-26-2023, 06:24 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsulli View Post
That looks like what I need! I don’t have the issue with water running inside the toilet bowl nonstop, but that’s got to be the point of failure where water is squirting out from the back of the toilet. I did winterize, but maybe that piece is just worn out. Thanks a ton!
It's easy to determine if it was a "part failure" or a "winterizing failure"...

Just look at the "freeze damage indicator" (bulge on the side of the valve) or the "pushed out rear disc" as evidence of ice inside the valve. If those two parts of the valve are undamaged, then it's a worn out valve. But, if either is present, blame the winterizing process....

Why bother ???? Next year, when winterizing, the knowledge of what happened will help protect the toilet a bit better "for future winter conditions"...

Here's what to look for:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WATER VALVE DOMETIC FREEZE DAMAGE.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	44034  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 06:30 AM   #5
zsulli

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It's easy to determine if it was a "part failure" or a "winterizing failure"...

Just look at the "freeze damage indicator" (bulge on the side of the valve) or the "pushed out rear disc" as evidence of ice inside the valve. If those two parts of the valve are undamaged, then it's a worn out valve. But, if either is present, blame the winterizing process....

Why bother ???? Next year, when winterizing, the knowledge of what happened will help protect the toilet a bit better "for future winter conditions"...

Here's what to look for:
Thanks John!
Old 05-26-2023, 12:32 PM   #6
LHaven

I'm going to assume you tried tightening the white collar that's around the black feed hose. That's where mine leaked out of the factory, it just needed a good tweak by hand.
Old 05-26-2023, 12:43 PM   #7
zsulli

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I'm going to assume you tried tightening the white collar that's around the black feed hose. That's where mine leaked out of the factory, it just needed a good tweak by hand.
I did. Took that hose off first thing, checked the rubber o-ring and re-tightened. All good there. I was able to procure a new valve today and will be installing this evening! *fingers crossed
Old 05-26-2023, 05:58 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsulli View Post
I did. Took that hose off first thing, checked the rubber o-ring and re-tightened. All good there. I was able to procure a new valve today and will be installing this evening! *fingers crossed
You may already be installing or finished with the installation, so this may be "too late info", but the new valve comes with two screws. USE BOTH, but don't overtighten them. The "snap clips" don't do a good job of holding the valve in the foot pedal body, and even if it works without screws, the "security of knowing it won't loosen during travel" makes the screws a no brainer.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, toilet