Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > Forum Admin, News & Member Account Info
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2023, 08:02 PM   #1
flugelboneman

Search window will not allow entries

Cannot enter anything in search slot
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 09:18 PM   #2
LHaven

Maybe you need to supply more details. I had no problem.
Or are you talking about the "advanced search" slot? That one works for me, too.
I did notice that if the dancing advertisement switched out for a new one, the popup disappeared, but just clicking Search again restored it, complete with contents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 10.15.49 PM.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	43949  
Old 05-21-2023, 10:52 AM   #3
LHaven

OP responded to me that the ordinary search popup will not stay up for him to type a question.

As I mentioned, something in the "dancing ads" javascript is knocking down this popup whenever an ad changes to another ad. Maybe that's something that needs to be looked at.

I suspect that the ad software was "upgraded" recently because of another new "feature" I discovered this week -- the "upload a photo" popup window now comes complete with its own tiny movie ad in the bottom corner! I got a rude shock when strange music started blasting my earphones (despite my browser being set NOT to autoplay) and for the life of me I couldn't find the offending tab to shut it off. Eventually, I encountered a leftover "manage attachments" popup and noticed the ad there!

In fact, just spitballing, I'm wondering if the "improved" ad software is knocking down the search box as a side effect of failing to fit a movie ad inside it as well, because it is just too small. Admins?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 11.47.17 AM.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	43960  
Old 05-21-2023, 10:58 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I have zero issues...Windows 11 home, MS edge.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 12:38 PM   #5
RollaMo

Zero issues here also.
Mac OS 13.3, running Firefox 113.0.1

I also have ad blocking software installed for Firefox, so next to zero ads ever show up.
Old 05-21-2023, 04:27 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

There should be no "pop-up windows to open" when using the basic or advanced search feature. Simply click on the search tab in the black bar and it will open with a drop down tab. Simply type the "search subject" or a few key words in the box and it will go to a new window (no pop-up window) with the results.

Or, click on that same search tab, then select "ADVANCED SEARCH" as the option, it will open a new window (not a pop-up window) where there are options to choose which limit the search to specific parameters chosen by the person doing the search.

I can't recall ever having a "pop-up window" as a part of the search.

I am using MS EDGE. The forum reacts the same when using FOXFIRE.

If there is a problem with pop-up windows opening and then disappearing, I'd look at the browser settings on that specific computer. It would seem to me there's a "pop-up blocker" or a "anti-malware program" that's causing the issue. It's not the forum software since it's working for everyone else who is using the same search feature.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KEYSTONE SEARCH.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	43964   Click image for larger version

Name:	KEYSTONE SEARCH ADVANCED.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	43965  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 05:26 PM   #7
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There should be no "pop-up windows to open" when using the basic or advanced search feature. Simply click on the search tab in the black bar and it will open with a drop down tab.
The thing you are calling a drop down tab I called a pop-up window. So that's the item.

I have a couple videos of it happening. It doesn't always happen when the ad underneath it changes to a new one. But when it does happen, it always happens exactly on an ad change.

I run Safari on macOS 12.6.6 with no ad blockers, though my network as a whole blocks out a collection of ad sites. However, I doubt ad blocking has any part in this as I can clearly see the ads playing and changing as the tab disappears.

Did you confirm getting a tiny ad movie in the attachment management window these days?
Old 05-22-2023, 04:17 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
The thing you are calling a drop down tab I called a pop-up window. So that's the item.

I have a couple videos of it happening. It doesn't always happen when the ad underneath it changes to a new one. But when it does happen, it always happens exactly on an ad change.

I run Safari on macOS 12.6.6 with no ad blockers, though my network as a whole blocks out a collection of ad sites. However, I doubt ad blocking has any part in this as I can clearly see the ads playing and changing as the tab disappears.

Did you confirm getting a tiny ad movie in the attachment management window these days?
Looking at your screen shot in post #3, There is an ad in the "pop-up window" used as a part of the "add attachment option" in all replies, accessed by clicking on the "paperclip icon". That is only accessible when in the "reply window" and only shows when replying to a thread, not as a part of the search feature. I've seen that ad (for me I have to scroll to the bottom of the "add attachment" pop-up to bring it into view) and it's been there for several months, maybe longer. I haven't seen any change in the search feature drop down menu and there's no connection that I'm aware of between the two functions. Today I watched 6 or 7 ads in that "add attachment pop-up window" and the window never changed, never closed on me and never stopped showing ads until I clicked on the "close X" in the upper right corner of the actual ad window inside the add attachment pop-up.

I don't see how a "reply function/add attachment pop-up window" would have any affect on the search drop down, as it should not even be on the screen and should not be active during any "search" a member should be performing.

I'd still suspect that the "odd behavior" is from a program setting on the affected computer as nobody else has reported problems with the search feature.

I will upchannel the issue for Tech Support to review, but suspect they will not find anything out of the ordinary. I'll report back once they respond to the report.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-22-2023, 05:41 AM   #9
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I don't see how a "reply function/add attachment pop-up window" would have any affect on the search drop down, as it should not even be on the screen and should not be active during any "search" a member should be performing.
Not directly, other than the approximate time both items began to manifest themselves. My suspicion was that a new, more aggressive advertising algorithm was now seeking out additional windows to inhabit, leading to both the appearance of an ad in the attachment window, and the collapse of the search tab when asked to accommodate the smallest possible ad, which is still too big for the tab. It's merely a professional intuition.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 05:58 AM   #10
firestation12

My dog ate my homework
While the TOP moderators are commenting on this thread, may I mention another item that seems to bite me? Whenever I take too long to compose a comment before posting it, I’m kicked off and asked to log-in again. After logging in, then I get a blank screen and all my work is lost. A few times I’ve forgotten to save my comments (control C) before hitting the “death button” (post reply), resulting in the agonizing result of blank screen and lost work. The second item that occurs is if I create paragraphs by spacing the first word, upon posting, the site removes the spacing and puts the comments into a single block. What is MY problem??
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 06:53 AM   #11
LHaven

I've found the login cookie lifetime here to be highly variable. One thing that seems to help is remembering to check the "remember me" box while logging in, that seem to moderate the mood swings.

As far as your losing your text, instead of accepting the clean screen and starting over, just return back several screens to where you were entering your text (backarrow icon or whatever your browser offers) and chances are it will still be there. Copy it out, then refresh the page to make it aware of your new login cookie, then paste and submit.

I don't know what's happening with your paragraphs. I've variously used blank lines like this, or just a carriage return to indicate paragraphs, and never had them recombined. I don't understand how a carriage return with an added space would be recombined if just a carriage return isn't. Hm, let me try it here and see what happens.
Here's a paragraph with no blank line, just a blank space.
From the preview, it seems to strip the leading space, but doesn't actually combine the text with the previous paragraph (i.e., dump the newline).
Old 05-22-2023, 07:38 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
My dog ate my homework
While the TOP moderators are commenting on this thread, may I mention another item that seems to bite me? Whenever I take too long to compose a comment before posting it, I’m kicked off and asked to log-in again. After logging in, then I get a blank screen and all my work is lost. A few times I’ve forgotten to save my comments (control C) before hitting the “death button” (post reply), resulting in the agonizing result of blank screen and lost work. The second item that occurs is if I create paragraphs by spacing the first word, upon posting, the site removes the spacing and puts the comments into a single block. What is MY problem??
When logging in, do you check the "remember me" box?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:29 AM   #13
firestation12

Touching the remember me square doesn’t do anything, plus the screen cycles rapidly to begin texting. Once the login request is fulfilled and the blank screen appears, I’m unable to do anything including go back several screens. I think a might try logging in on a different device. Thx guys
Old 05-22-2023, 06:29 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
Touching the remember me square doesn’t do anything, plus the screen cycles rapidly to begin texting. Once the login request is fulfilled and the blank screen appears, I’m unable to do anything including go back several screens. I think a might try logging in on a different device. Thx guys
I'm not sure, based on the procedure you describe, the sequence you're using to log into the forum. Anyway, when the sign in box first appears, before you do anything else, click the "remember me" tag, then log in and it should remedy your "inadvertent log out problems"...

Some versions of software used to access the forum won't save the previous window screen and only goes back to the "blank page with nothing you did visible on the screen"... Other versions of software, such as MS Edge, Version 113.0.1774.50, which is what I'm using right now, will "back step to the previous page" and will display everything you typed in the reply window... Some do, some don't. That's why I use this version rather than FoxFire. I hate losing a response, especially as "long winded as my responses tend to be" ....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-22-2023, 07:47 PM   #15
firestation12

Thanks guys! Hopefully you’ve saved me from myself.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical