Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2023, 03:04 PM   #1
AlonDesigns

No smoking!

The person who owned my camper before me was a very heavy smoker. My ceilings are a horrible dingy color and I'm not sure if that's has anything to do with why the shower and tub are discolored but that's where my question lies. I managed to figure out something for the ceiling...you can see where I stopped. Are you preparing myself to prime and paint everything,but I'm not so sure about painting a shower lol! I tried my same mixture I used on the ceiling, but the yellow didn't budge in the shower... Is there anything that I can do to it short of replacing it? I haven't decided what color theme I'm going with in here but dingy yellow is definitely not on the list of possibilities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230520_180211.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	43935   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230520_180139.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	43936  
Old 05-20-2023, 03:38 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

The color of the shower enclosure/tub looks like nicotine stain. Mine WAS that color and that is the color from the factory. Must have been a popular choice back in the day. In any case, my shower/tub surround was cracked because the original install used push pins that were too tight and spider web cracks resulted. I removed it and installed a white surround. Looks much better than the dingy yellowish tone. I should have done the tub part at the same time but didn't want the hassle and the tub is not nearly as noticeable. The surround I bought was about 4" shorter than the original and I used self stick tiles around the upper edge to hide the area that was no longer covered.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 12:19 PM   #3
Dacheedah

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonDesigns View Post
The person who owned my camper before me was a very heavy smoker. My ceilings are a horrible dingy color and I'm not sure if that's has anything to do with why the shower and tub are discolored but that's where my question lies. I managed to figure out something for the ceiling...you can see where I stopped. Are you preparing myself to prime and paint everything,but I'm not so sure about painting a shower lol! I tried my same mixture I used on the ceiling, but the yellow didn't budge in the shower... Is there anything that I can do to it short of replacing it? I haven't decided what color theme I'm going with in here but dingy yellow is definitely not on the list of possibilities.

Try cleaning the ceilings with tsp, once everything is washed run the fans and use an ozone generator.

Army, 7th ID 7th MP Co
Retired LEO
9-1-1 Director
Dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 01:28 PM   #4
LHaven

Tobacco and curry are the hardest residues to remove.
In a rental home, we tried ozonators but it wasn't enough. We ended up re-priming everything with a shellac to seal in the volatiles (Zinsser BIN, I believe) then re-painting. Also had to replace the carpet.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:45 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

I used to own a fire & water restoration company. Nicotine is not just a stain, it chemically alters the plastic making it impossible to “clean”. On porcelain it etches the glaze. Either way, your options are replace it or live with it. Paintable surfaces can be sealed (use an oil-based shellac or it will bleed through after a fairly short period of time).
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 01:47 PM   #6
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Tobacco and curry are the hardest residues to remove.
In a rental home, we tried ozonators but it wasn't enough. We ended up re-priming everything with a shellac to seal in the volatiles (Zinsser BIN, I believe) then re-painting. Also had to replace the carpet.
Soot from burning pasta is another one, and the odor of it is a gift that keeps on giving….
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote