Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2023, 09:47 AM   #1
jerseyphil

2023 Cougar Sport 2100RK

I see Keystone now has a Cougar Sport 2100RK.
This is a short (26 ft 3 in) Fifth Wheel, with 1 slide.

I love lots of thing about this rig, Tankless water heater, light weight, easy towing for my F350.

However, if they made it just a little longer, maybe 27 ft 3 in, they could have made it so you could get to the bathroom with the slide in. And put a full queen bed.

For me, that would have made it PERFECT.

Are you listening KEYSTONE?
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 10:28 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I looked at the Cougar Sport line and came away with a different impression. The "build" seemed to be, IMO, missing some things that ought to be included.

Again, IMO, the cost of the Sport 2100RK at $44,985 (26'3") compared to the Cougar Half Ton 23MLS at $60,540 (26'9") has to bear on both equipment included and build quality. There's got to be "more to the Half Ton than just $15K for 6 inches of length....

Keystone has a way of eliminating a line from one brand and changing the colors and name and introducing that same trailer in another line. They do that to enhance sales or to change a floorplan from a brand with low sales to a brand with a better reputation, hoping to increase "consumer impression" of the same floorplan/same trailer that wasn't viewed well by the public with a different decal on the nose.....

I got the "first glance impression" that the Sport line was the same trailer as the "now discontinued Springdale line" but with aluminum floor joists rather than wood floor joists... Last year, Keystone quietly discontinued the Springdale fifth wheels and the Hideout fifth wheels from those brands.

I'm wondering if they didn't just "reintroduce them as a "upgraded trailer in the Cougar line" attempting to create an appeal for a different "consumer group or a different consumer economic profile" ???

As for the bathroom being blocked with the slide in. Maybe that's one reason Keystone discontinued the 23MLS and introduced the 23MLE ??? It's essentially the same trailer with the front aisle on the curb side rather than on the road side. That allows for easy access with the slide in.... Oh, and the cost only went up $5K for that change... Otherwise, it's essentially the same trailer as the 23MLS.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 12:23 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

For us, it isn't important to get to the commode with the slide in. We can do it with our current Cougar but have never stopped to try. I like the floorplan and the only thing I would be concerned with is the television position. I like a shelf for adding stuff but that isn't a major issue. It also appears that the height of the bedroom is higher than our 5th wheel which would also be a benefit but it is hard to tell from pictures. We put a full queen mattress on the platform which was designed for a trailer queen and that makes it harder to get around the bed. Not sure how a trailer queen would work for us.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 04:44 PM   #4
Parkaholic

Full timing in 2100rk, much to love about this rig, plenty of room, easy to tow even with half ton Chevy, summer in Florida with single a/c has not been a problem.
What I would change? Radio and TV are not integrated, cabinets in rear kitchen should have latches. I had to move the supports for transitioning the table to a bed, likely just a sloppy build thing. The jackknife couch fell apart the very first time someone used it, (my daughter who is about 120 lbs) it turns out it is constructed using fiberglas strapping 1/4 inch wide to support the cushions. I contacted keystone, who said take it to a dealership for warranty. Dealership agreed to do it under warranty as long as I understood that the repair would be to put in new fiberglass straps, or have the couch replaced with an identical one. Why would I want to have the same thing? Other than that I'm a "Happy Camper"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20624.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	44835  
Parkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 07:43 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkaholic View Post
Full timing in 2100rk, much to love about this rig, plenty of room, easy to tow even with half ton Chevy, summer in Florida with single a/c has not been a problem.
What I would change? Radio and TV are not integrated, cabinets in rear kitchen should have latches. I had to move the supports for transitioning the table to a bed, likely just a sloppy build thing. The jackknife couch fell apart the very first time someone used it, (my daughter who is about 120 lbs) it turns out it is constructed using fiberglas strapping 1/4 inch wide to support the cushions. I contacted keystone, who said take it to a dealership for warranty. Dealership agreed to do it under warranty as long as I understood that the repair would be to put in new fiberglass straps, or have the couch replaced with an identical one. Why would I want to have the same thing? Other than that I'm a "Happy Camper"
Looks like a darn lawn chair more than support for a mattress. I would be tempted to buy a bunch of cheap tie down straps and weave them into a support; those things look useless.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:41 AM   #6
Alpine

I see this thread is approximately 6 months old... however we looked at a new 2100rk in Portland, Oregon the day after Christmas. The fit and finish was a nightmare to say the least. All the press-wood inset trim around each slide-out was completely warped out with about a 3in bow. It was kinda fun pushing it in and out while the salesman stood there totally embarressed. The stairs were screwed in from the top with all the screws showing and the holes were totally chattered out way to large for the screws, and sawdust still there as they were press-wood as well. The vinyl flooring used on the slide out was buckled to the point, I'm sure would not ever lay flat... being a trip hazard.

The salesman told us that Keystone sends them out this way and it is the responsibility of the dealers to bring them up to snuf!

Aside from that is was pretty darn cute... for the untrained eye!!!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 09:08 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
I see this thread is approximately 6 months old... however we looked at a new 2100rk in Portland, Oregon the day after Christmas. The fit and finish was a nightmare to say the least. All the press-wood inset trim around each slide-out was completely warped out with about a 3in bow. It was kinda fun pushing it in and out while the salesman stood there totally embarressed. The stairs were screwed in from the top with all the screws showing and the holes were totally chattered out way to large for the screws, and sawdust still there as they were press-wood as well. The vinyl flooring used on the slide out was buckled to the point, I'm sure would not ever lay flat... being a trip hazard.

The salesman told us that Keystone sends them out this way and it is the responsibility of the dealers to bring them up to snuf!

Aside from that is was pretty darn cute... for the untrained eye!!!
Can't recall which year the Dodge Demon 340 came out but I took a test drive. The salesman was in the car. The glove box door fell off, the headliner came down about 4 inches, the carpet had a 6" bulge and the slap shifter fell off. It was in that purple color so popular in the late 60s or early 70s. In 72 I did by a 340 Demon but it had none of those issues except it had a white interior and we were having a kid so I traded it in on a Vega wagon. I will never forget the expression on the salesman's face while his Dodge fell apart on the test drive and his comment was, all this would be taken care of..... right.

Tags
cougar