Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2023, 09:41 PM   #1
NewbietoRV

Flummoxed newbie - stove won't light

So, I bought a 2017 26' Hideout travel trailer. Unit had been purchased, towed home and never really lived in. It's like brand new.
Had both propane tanks topped off.
I have it setup at a RV park as a full time, and got everything hooked up.
Turned on the propane tanks, which are both connected to a T-regulator valve.
My problem is, I can't get the stove or oven to light. I turn on the stove knobs to light and put a match or lighter on the burner, but nothing happens. Can't even smell or hear gas coming out.
The hot water heater will light off fine (when the switch on the panel is set to 'gas on'), so I know that there is gas in the line.
I tried lighting the oven pilot, thinking that had to be lit for the stove to work, but no joy there either.
Nothing in the manuals that came with it shed any light on the issue.
I've searched high and low for some kind of shutoff valve for the stove, but there doesn't seem to be one.
I've disconnected both propane tanks and reconnected. Turned the valves back on, one at a time and both together. No joy.
I know it's got to be something really simple that I'm missing, but I'm at the end of the rope.
Hoping someone with more knowledge will know the answer.
Thanks for any help.
NewbietoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 10:29 PM   #2
locomech

If it's not air trapped in the gas line then I would check the burner jets for spider web blockage.

"Don't worry bout the mule... Just load the wagon"
locomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:01 AM   #3
drrelli

My stove is a Furrion. I have to turn on and then press in and hold the burner knob that I am trying to light, and for the oven, hold it in 10-15 seconds after the pilot light lights.

Also, try shutting off the propane T and re-opening it slowly in case the leak detector activated when initially filling the system.
Old 05-20-2023, 07:20 AM   #4
jsb5717

Welcome aboard!

When you turn on a stove top burner you should be able to hear the "hiss" of propane before it's lit. If you can hear it then it should eventually light if there is trapped air. If you can't hear the propane moving then something isn't properly connected or open. Also, make sure when you open your propane tanks that you do it slowly otherwise flow can be inhibited at the tank.

You might have to do a deeper dive in troubleshooting. You might need to pull the stove out enough to access the propane line (fairly easy to do. Usually only 4-6 screws). Then, with the propane tanks turned off, you can disconnect the propane line from the stove. Then have someone slowly open a tank and see if you get propane at the stove supply (no flames or sparks please). You should be able to smell it quickly then turn off the propane tank...don't just let it run. That's a quick test to make sure you've got propane supply to the stove. If you do then you know that the issue is isolated to the stove itself. If you don't then start working backward from there.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 11:35 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Welcome aboard!

When you turn on a stove top burner you should be able to hear the "hiss" of propane before it's lit. If you can hear it then it should eventually light if there is trapped air. If you can't hear the propane moving then something isn't properly connected or open. Also, make sure when you open your propane tanks that you do it slowly otherwise flow can be inhibited at the tank.

You might have to do a deeper dive in troubleshooting. You might need to pull the stove out enough to access the propane line (fairly easy to do. Usually only 4-6 screws). Then, with the propane tanks turned off, you can disconnect the propane line from the stove. Then have someone slowly open a tank and see if you get propane at the stove supply (no flames or sparks please). You should be able to smell it quickly then turn off the propane tank...don't just let it run. That's a quick test to make sure you've got propane supply to the stove. If you do then you know that the issue is isolated to the stove itself. If you don't then start working backward from there.
If you choose to test for propane this way use 2 wrenches at the fitting, one on each side.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 11:40 AM   #6
NewbietoRV

Update

Just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions. Turns out it was the second stage gas regulator under the cooktop cover. No one local had them in stock so I have ordered one from ETrailer.com, who seemed to be the only place that had them in stock. I should get here in about a week and we're hoping the replacement will fix the issue. Again, thanks to everyone. Great community of highly helpful folks.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:20 PM   #7
NewbietoRV

No Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbietoRV View Post
Just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions. Turns out it was the second stage gas regulator under the cooktop cover. No one local had them in stock so I have ordered one from ETrailer.com, who seemed to be the only place that had them in stock. I should get here in about a week and we're hoping the replacement will fix the issue. Again, thanks to everyone. Great community of highly helpful folks.
Well, that didn't work.
Bought the stove mounted regulator from ETrailer.com. Exact replacement.
Turned everything off, disconnected the gas lines at the tanks, replaced the regulator, turned the gas back on (slowly). SAME PROBLEM! Swapped the regulator out for the original. SAME PROBLEM.
There is gas at the inlet of the regulator. The stove will light for about 10 seconds and then go out. Meanwhile, the water heater is running just fine on gas, even though it's behind the T for the stove.
It's got to be something so simple that I'm missing it......... or the whole stove is bad, even though it's never been cooked on/in.
And yes, I reset the Propane sniffer, just in case it had a shutoff (which it doesn't).
My only option at this point is to haul the trailer 55 miles to Las Vegas to an RV dealer, but hate the idea of it.
It's driving me slowly insane.

Tags
light, newbie