Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2023, 07:23 AM   #1
berta90

Missing Ground - Converter Chassis

Hi everyone, long-time lurker on the forum but this is my first post. I began having issues with my converter in my Cougar (2022 26RBSWE) a couple weeks ago. When I pulled out the power centre to get at the converter, I noticed there’s no chassis ground wire - looks like there was nothing installed from the factory. Of course I’m going to contact Keystone to ask about it, but is there something I’m missing here (I should definitely have a chassis ground for the converter, right)?
berta90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 08:28 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Are you asking about the CONVERTER or are you asking about the POWER CENTER ????

The CONVERTER "AC side" has three wires: hot/black, neutral/white and ground/green. The "DC side" only has two wires: negative/black and positive/red.

The POWER CENTER (30 amp) has three 10 gauge input wires (from the shore power cord), hot/black, neutral/white and ground/green. The black is connected to the circuit breaker buss bar, the white is connected to the neutral bar and the green is connected to the ground bar.

If you have a 50 amp POWER CENTER, then you'll have four 6 gauge wires from the shore power cord. line 1/black, line 2/red, neutral/white and ground/green. They are connected to the POWER CENTER similar to the 30 amp connections above, with the addition of the second load line (red) connected to the second circuit breaker buss bar.

On the 50 amp POWER CENTER, the same "three AC input wires" and the same "two DC output wires" are found on the CONVERTER. The CONVERTER is connected to the POWER CENTER the same way on the 50 amp and on the 30 amp system, with the exception that the CONVERTER leads "must be connected on the buss bar on which the CON circuit breaker is mounted.

The CONVERTER is then connected to the POWER CENTER as shown in this diagram:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WFCO WIRING DIAGRAM.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	43921  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 08:33 AM   #3
berta90

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! My apologies, I should have given more information to start. It’s a WFCO-9855 converter (so deck mount, standalone). I’m referring to the ground lug on the converter enclosure. The lug is just barely visible on the bottom corner of the converter closest to the camera in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8489.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	43922  
Old 05-17-2023, 09:08 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

FWIW I have almost always seen a ground from the case of the converter to the frame.

Did you buy new? If not previous owner may have changed the converter out and didn’t bother to connect it. It can be a PITA.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 10:24 AM   #5
LHaven

It's odd to see a 26RBSWE with a stand-alone converter instead of a WF-8955 with integrated converter.
Old 05-17-2023, 10:41 AM   #6
berta90

I actually ordered this thing new and got it last year, it’s my first TT. I will say when I pulled out the power centre to check the converter I was a bit surprised - sawdust everywhere along with a bit of styrofoam from fabrication. I was surprised the converter fan didn’t get choked off with all the debris in there (maybe it did, hence my converter issues). I’ve got a replacement 9855-AD I’m installing soon, but I’m holding off until i figure out whether I should run a new ground…don’t feel like having to get in behind that power centre twice With this being my first TT I’m a little intimidated just because it’s so hard to get at everything (ie, if I’ve got to run a new ground). Thanks a lot for your input on this guys, I really appreciate it! I’ll keep ya posted on what kind of response I get from Keystone.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:00 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Since ALL grounds are common and connected at the frame, you would probably be ok with a jumper to the ground bar.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:29 AM   #8
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by berta90 View Post
sawdust everywhere along with a bit of styrofoam from fabrication. I was surprised the converter fan didn’t get choked off with all the debris in there (maybe it did, hence my converter issues).
Yeah. You're also going to want to unscrew the grill under the fridge and vacuum out your furnace cubby as well, or you'll be looking at one or two sail-switch cleanings/replacements within warranty period. It was a year before I stopped finding sawdust sprinkled all over my pantry shelves. And here's [LINK] a photo I took a few weeks ago of the circuit board inside a sealed box inside my A/C cavity in the ceiling.

Keystone: we're a workshop, not a cleanroom!

Here's hoping you enjoy your 26RBSWE. DW and I sure do.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:31 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Yeah. You're also going to want to unscrew the grill under the fridge and vacuum out your furnace cubby as well, or you'll be looking at one or two sail-switch cleanings/replacements within warranty period. It was a year before I stopped finding sawdust sprinkled all over my pantry shelves. And here's [LINK] a photo I took a few weeks ago of the circuit board inside a sealed box inside my A/C cavity in the ceiling.

Keystone: we're a workshop, not a cleanroom!

Here's hoping you enjoy your 26RBSWE. DW and I sure do.
It isn’t just Keystone….

Old 05-17-2023, 11:42 AM   #10
berta90

Haha it’s funny you mention the furnace - that was the first issue! DW and I were camping (plugged in) and the furnace started kicking out. It would do some/all of the purge, then shut off before ignition. I automatically assumed sail switch and got in under the fridge to find out that the furnace is a real treat to access. The wires weren’t even long enough to pull out without cutting them! Of course we were out camping and I didn’t have wire to splice in. Ran to the store and came back a few hours later, all prepped with cutters and a couple spools of wire. Tried the furnace once more before yanking it and it worked! Cycled a few times and all good. Cautiously put the panel back, then we boondocked a few days later. I was glued to the power monitor as I always am when boondocking (relaxing, I know!) and noticed I wasn’t getting much back into the batteries with the generator. Lo and behold, I trended back and saw the batt volatage had been low, even the week before when we were plugged in. I think the bad converter let the furnace draw the batteries way down until it wouldn’t run anymore. Fingers crossed that the converter ends up being the culprit for the furnace issue! Lesson learned next time I have an issue with a 12V appliance, even when plugged in…
Old 05-17-2023, 11:50 AM   #11
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
It isn’t just Keystone….
Yup! But when you can't be with the one you love, you gotta love the one you're with!
Old 05-17-2023, 12:00 PM   #12
LHaven

Quote:
Haha it’s funny you mention the furnace
I'm sure I'll laugh about it someday... but I just this Monday finally got mine definitively repaired [LINK] after over a year of working intermittently. This one wasn't a manufacturing defect, but hidden rodent damage (though the same wire was also impaled on the sharp end of a screw at the factory). So my next basic recommendation is to scour your underbelly looking for unplugged access points, and to plug them up with copper wool and Tomcat Rodent Block foam. It can save you weeks of touchy repair jobs.
Old 05-17-2023, 12:13 PM   #13
berta90

Son of a gun! I just read that thread…what a pain! Thanks for the tip; I store my trailer out in a field so
I’m sure it’s an appealing home. Here’s the real question - did you get the mouse!? Lol
Old 05-17-2023, 01:30 PM   #14
LHaven

The first sign I had of the mouse was a front running light going out after I'd had the rig just about a year. Then one of the bedroom lights (right behind the same front cap). I rewired both of those, and left some poison bait inside the cap and above the ceiling. Meanwhile, we enjoyed two years of tiny beetles dropping onto the bed all night whenever we took it out to play (emerging from the palo verde beans the mouse had stored in the ceiling). We kept having beetles (therefore, mice) until I had the underside wooled and foamed, then one more season of beetles (they gestate for half a year), after which thankfully it stopped.
Old 05-18-2023, 04:43 AM   #15
berta90

Thought I’d give an update I received from Keystone this morning:

“Thank you for contacting Keystone RV. In regards to your email, there will only be a ground wire going from the distribution panel to the chassis. The converters only have charge wires hooked to them which is why you will not see the ground wire.”

Seems kind of odd to me, but at least it’s an answer.
Old 05-18-2023, 04:47 AM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Thought I’d give an update I received from Keystone this morning:

“Thank you for contacting Keystone RV. In regards to your email, there will only be a ground wire going from the distribution panel to the chassis. The converters only have charge wires hooked to them which is why you will not see the ground wire.”

Seems kind of odd to me, but at least it’s an answer.
More likely another cost cutting measure.

Old 05-18-2023, 04:51 AM   #17
berta90

Yeah no kidding eh? Seems like they’ll do a lot to save money - not that I’d blame them up to a point, but some of the shortcuts the manufacturers take seem crazy to me!
Old 05-18-2023, 06:25 AM   #18
NH_Bulldog

One thing I have seen a lot in my recent new camper search is the build quality and material differences between pre-Covid, during-Covid and post-Covid builds. I particularly noticed a LOT of issues in units built from late 2020 through early to mid 2022. Due to staffing issues, supply chain constraints and the "explosion" in demand, units built in that time frame seem to have a higher rate of issues than what we would normally expect.

Personally, I would feel better if the converter was grounded itself rather than relying on another system component to provide grounding.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 09:55 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Build quality, or at least the perception of build quality is down significantly in recent years... My Grandpa used to comment, "They just don't make anything as good as they used to"... But, when I was a kid, I don't remember ever going on a family vacation that we didn't spend at least a day, stuck somewhere to repair a water pump or a generator or a starter.... And, Dad used to complain that he NEVER got more than 12,000 miles out of a set of tires... They were bias ply, BTW...

Trailers are the same. Our Holiday Rambler never saw a service center for a warranty repair. It was a 1993 and our Airstream, after getting the rear bumper storage compartment fixed, never went back to a dealership.

These days, not so much, eh ????

Now as for the "outside grounding wire" on WFCO converters.... When you consider the fact that the green wire in the power cord is connected to the converter chassis (internally) and to the ground buss in the power center, which is connected to the trailer chassis ground, then an "extra bare wire ground from that lug to the chassis" is accomplishing the same thing "electrically" that is already being accomplished by the green wire and the buss bar....

To me, it's sort of like screwing an extra wire on a "double insulated power hand tool" to make it safer... Electrically, that task is being accomplished "in a different way" and the extra wire simply isn't needed, except to create an impression of "being safer"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 10:54 AM   #20
jasin1

Never realized that WFCO is short for World Friendship Company …kinda odd name for an electronics manufacturer …surprised they didn’t throw baby ducks or puppy’s in the title

Tags
converter