Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2023, 10:54 PM   #1
rhagfo

When impatience hurts!

It appears that this Class C driver paid a big price for their impatience!
Seems all five people in the Class C were taken to the hospital. If you watch closely you will see what appears to be a lady crawl out of the wreckage and start looking for others.

https://www.kptv.com/2023/05/13/caug...ear-hermiston/
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 04:51 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
It appears that this Class C driver paid a big price for their impatience!
Seems all five people in the Class C were taken to the hospital. If you watch closely you will see what appears to be a lady crawl out of the wreckage and start looking for others.

https://www.kptv.com/2023/05/13/caug...ear-hermiston/
Yes it wasn’t worth wrecking the rv to get to the campground a few minutes earlier..be interesting to see the trucks speedometer while this was all going on..wonder if he was speeding up to keep them from passing..guess the rv driver got frustrated because the right lane is a line of trucks going 55 mph and then this truck in the left going between 54 and 56 mph..seems like the truck could have just let off the accelerator a moment and the whole thing would have been avoided But no one wanted to give an inch

People should allow more time for travel…the rv driver was from Virginia and probably was rushing to squeeze everything into a west coast trip with not enough time to enjoy it.
I listen to podcasts when i’m traveling for work and try not to worry about traffic..on trips we keep our driving around 5 hours max so we aren’t rushing everywhere
Old 05-14-2023, 06:07 AM   #3
Max23

Had a very similar thing happen to me. Only I was the camper involved. I was in right lane going 65, got passed on the left (appropriately) by a guy in a ryder rental pulling a car, dude never even got the ryder passed me let alone the towed car and started back into my lane, luckily I saw him coming over, hit the brakes and went to the shoulder of the road cuz he wasn't waiting to come into my lane. Don't see the semi trucks fault here, the guy in the RV just flat came over to soon.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 06:54 AM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post
Had a very similar thing happen to me. Only I was the camper involved. I was in right lane going 65, got passed on the left (appropriately) by a guy in a ryder rental pulling a car, dude never even got the ryder passed me let alone the towed car and started back into my lane, luckily I saw him coming over, hit the brakes and went to the shoulder of the road cuz he wasn't waiting to come into my lane. Don't see the semi trucks fault here, the guy in the RV just flat came over to soon.
yeah i never said it was the truck drivers fault…my point was nowadays it seems like people aren’t as courteous as they were even just a few years ago.
Some drivers would rather watch a family in a car drive over a cliff instead of letting them merge into traffic..Again i feel like even though the truck was in the right they could have let pride go by the wayside and let the fool cut in as anyone watching could see that was the rvs intent.The world is full of stupid people and the driver of the rv was one of them that day…

who knows maybe the truck just cut off the rv five minutes prior and road rage got the best of him.

I try and anticipate what other drivers are doing around me..if i see a truck in the right lane getting jammed up behind a slower moving truck on a grade ahead of me i back off and flash my lights and let them in whenever it’s not dangerous to the cars behind me.

Most truck drivers are good drivers but not all…i was cut off twice on the way to Florida by truckers and had to hit the breaks hard to avoid an accident…a Truck in the right lane in VA looked me dead in the eye in his mirror and just came over to to the left lane and almost took out the front of my truck..no warning just figured he was bigger then me…amazed no one rear ended me …second one on the way back and a truck coming from a left merge came over two lanes and almost took me out…he may not have seen me in his mirrors.

I’ve read about the trucking company’s hiring inexperienced drivers and seen some crazy youtube videos of rogue drivers..but by far they aren’t the worst offenders
Old 05-14-2023, 08:31 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

This is just my take on this video. Far too many people are in vehicles they have no idea how to operate. Yesterday and next week they'll be driving their Prius but today they're on vacation in a 30' Class C driving it like they would their Prius never thinking about how much bigger, longer and unwieldy they are...then something like this. The guy in the RV should have slowed down, he was closing too slowly to ever hit that gap...but he didn't and tried to cut in. The truck driver, if paying attention, should have slowed down once he saw the RV driver's intent...but he didn't. IMO neither was driving defensively nor paying attention.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 12:45 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

When I was young my father used to tell me that driving was knowing at what rate speed and distance you and everything around were traveling. Today it seems to me like very few folks have that awareness.

I get amazed at how some folks drive when there's a "Jersey Wall" along the shoulder of the road. The lane is the same width but they'll imideatly hug or intrude into the left lane creating a 4' gap between the car and the barrier. They have no clue how far away they are even though they drive a compact car. I see similar drivers in the parking lots constantly. You know the ones, they pull halfway into a spot, back up, pull up, then rinse and repeat.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 01:41 PM   #7
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
When I was young my father used to tell me that driving was knowing at what rate speed and distance you and everything around were traveling. Today it seems to me like very few folks have that awareness.

I get amazed at how some folks drive when there's a "Jersey Wall" along the shoulder of the road. The lane is the same width but they'll imideatly hug or intrude into the left lane creating a 4' gap between the car and the barrier. They have no clue how far away they are even though they drive a compact car. I see similar drivers in the parking lots constantly. You know the ones, they pull halfway into a spot, back up, pull up, then rinse and repeat.
LOL! Know exactly what you’re talking about! Those that are familiar with Hwy 99W here in Oregon just as entering McMinnville on southbound 99W the bridge rail is like 2” from the edge of the lane. Have seen many compacts with a tire on the center line on that bridge.
I think I had a car salesman that had to change his shorts after we went across that bridge in a 2012 Ram DRW. Went right down the center of the lane, he was looking out the passenger side window, had about a good foot and a half to the rail.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote