Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2023, 01:34 PM   #1
LuckyDog22

Ice and water

We’ve lived with a portable ice maker and ice cube trays for most of our married (35 yrs) life. Our home did not come with a water / ice connector and with the fridge being on an interior wall with no easy access to water on a slab foundation I’ve learned to make ice and fill yetis. So it was no big deal to get a 12 v fridge and carry on. We’ve done it at home for years and in our Winnebago coach for 20. Yep it’s a 2003. No ice maker. However it does have one thing we find indispensable - a filtered drinking water (charcoal) under the sink with a little faucet.
The coach water is tolerable for cooking and coffee but still tastes awful in most campgrounds. So, now you know how picky I am LOL when it comes to water and I’m not inclined to buy jugs of Arrowhead or Crystal Geyser if I can get a taste and odor filter. Is it possible to have one installed by special order when placing the order for our Keystone fifth wheel? We have quartzite countertops at home and our fabricator can come by and make a hole — or we could make a hole in the counter ourselves, assuming it’s some sort of laminate or quartz type. Surely I’m not the only one who wants a steady supply of water at my sink that’s filtered.
LuckyDog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 01:56 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDog22 View Post
We’ve lived with a portable ice maker and ice cube trays for most of our married (35 yrs) life. Our home did not come with a water / ice connector and with the fridge being on an interior wall with no easy access to water on a slab foundation I’ve learned to make ice and full yetis. So it was no big deal to get a 12 v fridge and carry on. We’ve done it at home for years and in our Winnebago coach for 20. Yep it’s a 2003. No ice maker. However it does have one thing we find indispensable - a filtered drinking water (charcoal) under the sink with a little faucet. We have a RO system at home with a little spigot. The coach water is tolerable for cooking and coffee but still tastes awful in most campgrounds. So, now you know how picky I am LOL when it comes to water and I’m not inclined to buy jugs of Arrowhead or Crystal Geyser if I can get a taste and odor filter. Is it possible to have one installed by special order when placing the order for our Keystone fifth wheel? We have quartzite countertops at home and our fabricator can come by and make a hole — or we could make a hole in the counter ourselves, assuming it’s some sort of laminate or quartz type. Surely I’m not the only one who wants a steady supply of water at my sink that’s filtered.
Why not an RO under your kitchen sink? Wouldn't be much for a plumber to install I think. We have one in our home. When traveling, we use a cannister sediment filter and use a ZERO WATER pitcher for coffee and such. No tastes or odors. We do have lots of room for an RO under our camper's sink but never really got the urge to plumb one in. As far as ice, an ice cube tray meets our needs at home and in the camper. We have a line to the house refrigerator from the RO but I keep it turned off.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 06:02 PM   #3
LuckyDog22

We have RO at home but it’s in a cabinet just outside the kitchen window. We put it there after an expensive remodel due in part to leakage it destroyed the sink base and the underlayment and the wall. The one we have has three screw on canisters with the membrane across the top and a plastic tank. It also has a brine waste line. How would that work in an RV? I never considered that as an option.
Old 05-13-2023, 07:21 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

You can go to the Keystone website and select your specific floorplan, then click on the "BUILD" tab (blue tab next to the floorplan diagram) and view every standard item (click on the questionmark to open the details) and view every optional item (with the cost). If there is no "water filter option" then you can not special order it from the manufacturer. But, don't worry, when you discuss the details of your order at your dealership, be sure to inform them that you want a water filter of your specifications installed BEFORE PICKUP and AS A PART OF THE PURCHASE PRICE... Most dealerships regularly install aftermarket items in trailers for their customers as a part of the sales agreement.

You should encounter no problems requesting the dealership install your water filter in the trailer. Be sure to discuss with them what brand/model you want and where you want it installed so there are no surprises.....

Just saying I want a water filter please, will likely get you a $9.95 CAMCO blue filter to attach to your hose, so be sure to specify what you want so there is no "miscommunication"...

Here's the link to the Keystone website for Cougar fifth wheel floorplans. You can click on the "blue build tab" to see all the standard and optional features: https://www.keystonerv.com/product/c...els/floorplans

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 07:21 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDog22 View Post
We have RO at home but it’s in a cabinet just outside the kitchen window. We put it there after an expensive remodel due in part to leakage it destroyed the sink base and the underlayment and the wall. The one we have has three screw on canisters with the membrane across the top and a plastic tank. It also has a brine waste line. How would that work in an RV? I never considered that as an option.
You described the system that is in our home. Suggest in an RV you may have the room. Put an overflow pan under and a drain out the bottom of your RV if that concerns you. It would be easier than setting a drain pan in your home where there isn't really a great way to route a hose outside.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 07:25 AM   #6
LuckyDog22

Should mention that the RO in the base cabinet precludes putting the kitchen waste container under there due to garbage disposal, dual sinks and dual drains, so I needed to put the waste basket at the end of the counter (U-shaped kitchen with peninsula) which happened to be the first thing a person sees entering kitchen. Yuck. And in our current RV due to the way Winnebago designed the cabinet which sits diagonally the trash can had to be very small, also a pain in the rear. So these are two situations I wish to avoid again.

Incidentally after spending a huge amount on new custom cabinet,. (necessitated by layout of kitchen and suboptimal ceiling soffit height of under 7’) I bought an under sink mat on eBay that purports to hold a massive amount of water. And I also bought two water sensors - one to put behind the stuff in the cabinet and a second for under the dishwasher which also sprung a leak.

If the new fiver sink base is the same size I will get another of those mats. There are also no-drain hose countertop RO units that appear to be the size of a large coffee maker ( like a Cuisinart K Cup) which are comparable in price to an under sink model, don’t weigh a lot when empty. That’s a consideration as well. Can try at home and return if not happy. Most Amazon reviews were pretty favorable. There’s only two of use so huge volumes of water are not an issue. My main concern is filtering out fluoride and chlorine.

Here’s a link to the under sink mats.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/33292272412...mis&media=COPY

Tags
water