Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2023, 10:16 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Yep, what he^^^^said. Maybe gravy, but NOT ketchup! Also, I would recommend a few hours out on Mackinac Island with a tour of the Grand Hotel. There was a time I would have recommended the lunch buffet, but the price has spiraled up to $65.00 or so over the years. But the island is worth one trip in your life.
We didn't go to the Island last year (other pressing commitments) but the year before, you couldn't participate in the lunch buffet without a coat and tie. Yep, at $65 each (plus tax and gratuity) I'm not paying $175+ for the privilege of having to buy an overpriced tie in the Grand Hotel gift shop.... LOL

But it was "a nice to do ONE TIME event"....

As a note, the "inside single rooms with shared bath and no view" are currently going for $1175 (on the bed and breakfast plan) for our anniversary on June 14.... A partial lake view room is $1225. But, as a perk, you get a free round of Croquet on the front lawn, long pants required and no jeans allowed..... And, unless you have a coat and tie, you'll be walking down to Main Street to get something to eat....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 10:17 AM   #22
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Yea .... boy, those were the days! The Jack Rabbit and the Minute Man .... yep .... takes much longer now! (you all know what I'm talking about!) I know, they make little blue pills for that too!
And then there’s Robin Williams and his quip from Grandma’s point of view on the little blue pill... “Get me a tetanus shot, if you gonna stick me with that rusty thing!” Sorry, I just couldn't help it!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 11:06 AM   #23
Rdynbama

Thanks for the Warning JRTJH , I’m not looking forward to the Mighty Mac on a motorcycle but we have to cross it to ride the UP.!

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 12:00 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdynbama View Post
Thanks for the Warning JRTJH , I’m not looking forward to the Mighty Mac on a motorcycle but we have to cross it to ride the UP.!
It's a "thrilling ride" to say the least... Near the top, there's about 2 miles where the the north and south inside lane is "steel grid". On a cycle, you can look down and see the water below (as well as feel the squirmy tires reacting to the grid)... On that part, even in the Slingshot, I prefer to stay in the outside lane, which is asphalt/concrete that you can't see through and that doesn't squirm as you try to steer in a straight line.....

You'll enjoy the trip over the bridge and as a "consolation", the only other way to get back to Ludington, is down the west shore of Lake Michigan, through Chicago and then back up to Ludington... So, it's either "cross the Mighty Mac" or "take a 500 mile detour" ..... LOL

Honestly, we love riding across the bridge as long as it's not raining....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-30-2023, 12:46 PM   #25
wiredgeorge

I rode the Bay Bridge in MD a few years back with the missus and that is one of those steel grates and the whole bridge sways. It induces fear and panic in the novice. Took me awhile to get over that bit of fun. Awhile back I was getting a recall service done at the local Honda dealer on my Goldwing trike. Had something to do with the brakes (can't recall specifically) but I had a couple hours to kill so I waddled around the sales floor and they had a Slingshot. As a trike guy I was curious so I kind of plunked down in the seat. Decided it wasn't appropriate for my physical attributes and when trying to get out, found out there was no place to brace your lets to push out. A big fella walked by and asked if I needed a hand and given my ego, I said heck no, I got this.... waited till he was out of sight and wiggled out somehow. Geesh, limitations with age can come with increasing girth as well.

I have kept my business going because I need a reason to get up and do something productive every day. Not a fan of house fixing chores so my business allows me to hire some things out that I would be stuck with. Keeps me out of my wife's hair during the day and that helps keeps things smooth on the home front.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 01:08 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

As the conversation meanders and talking bikes and bridges;

I was on the Royal Gorge bridge many years ago (probably 50 or so) and it was a windy day. Don't know what it's like now (been a while) but it's "way" up there (955' over the river) and back then really liked to sway in the wind. We were walking across it, people (insane people) jumping off the edge on bungee cords and I see this couple on a beautiful BMW bike (travelers). It looked pretty funny; they both had their feet down, she couldn't reach the ground but his little tippy toes were just shuffling along trying to balance/walk that bike across.

I have always like BMW bikes (really did back then) so walked over to admire. They stopped looking really relieved and we visited about the bike for a bit and got ready to depart. They were getting situated to start the "tippy toe dance" with the bike and I told him he should just drive it across, not many people, beautiful day....he looked at me like I was a Martian; "can you feel this bridge swinging and wiggling? I'm not about to try to drive over it" - and off they went tippy toeing along. He did however start driving it quite a ways before he got off the edge of the bridge. Maybe looking down at that pencil line of a river had him in an uproar. I think about that from time to time and always smile....the bridge WAS moving quite a bit.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 05:20 PM   #27
Rdynbama

My Navy buddies that live up there ,one lives near Gaylord and the other lives near Ippsy ? Hope I spelled that right told about the grate lanes to let air flow through so the bridge doesn’t sway as much with the wind. Looking forward to the “Thrill “
Gonna do it twice!! Gotta get in the UP then get back! !

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Old 04-30-2023, 05:41 PM   #28
aehjr

I'm 68 and my wife and I use our toy hauler to haul two KTM adventure bikes (1290 Super Adventure R and a 790 Adventure) and our mountain bikes. We ride off road every chance we get. I also still ride a dirt bike in the harder stuff (KTM 500 EXC). I bought my first dirt bike with my first social security check; if I can start late and enjoy it, anybody else should be able to barring significant health issues.

My vote is go for it if you really want to.
2019 KTM Super Adventure R
aehjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 06:12 PM   #29
Zixxer2Go

Still Benching... 😎

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryflew View Post
I used to be able to bench press 180, now I can't get up from the bench ;-)
66 yo at the moment, and just hit a 2x100lb dumbbell press PR. Here's a pic at 2x90lb, my brother had to spot me on the 95's & 100's 😁💪

You can do more at any age I'm told... so far that's been true for my wife and I!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VideoCapture_20230430-210910.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	43695   Click image for larger version

Name:	VideoCapture_20230430-210906.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	43696   Click image for larger version

Name:	VideoCapture_20230430-210949.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	43697   Click image for larger version

Name:	VideoCapture_20230430-210947.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	43698  
Zixxer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 07:51 PM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zixxer2Go View Post
66 yo at the moment, and just hit a 2x100lb dumbbell press PR. Here's a pic at 2x90lb, my brother had to spot me on the 95's & 100's 😁💪

You can do more at any age I'm told... so far that's been true for my wife and I!

Until.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 09:41 PM   #31
ozark traveler

If you arn't wild about the Big Mac, go around to Wisc (Door Peninsula) to Manitowoc and take the Ludington-Manitowoc ferry across Lake Mich. IF you have the time I would suggest trying to go to Copper Harbor Mich (that may be a different trip). There is an old fort there (Fort Wilkins S. P.) that has been very well restored. You will see that you are at the end of US 41...yes the US 41 that starts in Miami. You might want to try to stay at Keweenaw mtn Lodge and cabins, but check reservations. The Keweenaw peninsula is one of our all time favorite places to visit. (My wife and I have been camping in one form or another for 50+ years). And yes they sell pasties in Copper Harbor
Old 05-01-2023, 02:59 AM   #32
Rdynbama

The route has already been planned and reservations made for five nights in the UP and Copper Harbor is on our list

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Old 05-01-2023, 04:47 AM   #33
notanlines

Bama, we wouldn’t want you to get hungry on your trip:
https://www.visitkeweenaw.com/things...t=qualityScore
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 03:59 AM   #34
Rdynbama

Well we have a overnight stay planned in Houghton so I’ll definitely give em a try
“Ride to Eat Eat to Ride “

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Old 05-02-2023, 04:31 AM   #35
notanlines

Bama, I don’t want you to get thirsty along the way either. Houghton is home to Michigan Technological University, and one of their sports on campus is a renown rowing team.
Right downtown happens to be the Keweenaw Brewing Company. It has been there almost 20 years and offers not only about 10 of their beers on draft, but also mounted in the ceiling is a 60’ rowing boat, 8 man, that is so long they had to cut it in half to get it in the door.
Houghton is a fine place to visit. After beer thirty we recommend the pizza st the the Ambassador Restaurant just a block away. Good Lasagna also.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 05:16 AM   #36
Rdynbama

Thanks for the info, We are looking forward to this trip and sampling as much of the local food and brews as we can, I’m taking notes!

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Old 06-29-2023, 09:57 AM   #37
anchorsaweigh

At 20 wanted to live a little longer stopped riding, skip 40+ yrs & got a Spyder RT (finger/thumb shift - no clutch) 8k miles since 2018 and I will be 70 this Sept. Easy in and out of the Raptor garage. A close friend was warned by many to stop riding he would die, says they're all dead now from watching TV. All in our riding group are 65+ and several 80+. My close friend is 83 on a Gold Wing.
anchorsaweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 12:59 PM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

A neighbor of mine is pushing 70. I'm 75 and they tell me I have to add another year in August (I'll try to ignore that again, so who knows). Anyway, he's 5'6" (sort of short) and a couple years ago he bought a new Gold Wing with all the fancy fiberglass on it. His feet "hardly touched the ground, and in some places, they wouldn't touch unless he leaned the bike a "tad bit too far"... He lost his balance and toppled the bike 2 or 3 times before his DW put her foot down (not to stop the bike, but to fix the problem) and instructed him to either sell it or move to the spare bedroom....

He bought a CanAm Spyder and they've been "happy ever since". We ride with them and a few other couples through most of northern Michigan and over the bridge to have pasties for lunch. We've done a couple of "Friday fish fries" in St Ignace, but my DW insists that if we do that, we stay the night in St Ignace. She claims it's just too damn cold at night to cross the bridge, even in July... I won't argue with her.....

My hope is to keep riding, at least until I'm 80+ (or until they pull my driver's license) which ever comes last .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-29-2023, 01:21 PM   #39
wiredgeorge

I don't think my wife would ever tell me to quit riding. I had a bike and rode when I was 17 and am still riding, north of 70. Today I do ride a trike as I sold my last 2 wheeler (1980 GS1000G) just a couple years ago as I do have some vertigo. I bought a 2010 Spyder touring model a few years back. Both the wife and I were not amused by the very poor handling. I added aftermarket shock springs and a much thicker sway bar but the Spyder never felt 100 percent confidence inspiring. It also had the buzzy little 900cc twin motor. Went back to Goldwing trikes (I have owned quite a few). Would like to try a new Spyder at some point as I think they have made vast improvements. The one thing about the Spyder I did like was that you could put it in reverse and back out of a parking spot without a sense of fear. The Goldwing has a reverse tied to the starter motor and is stately going backwards and some folks who are impatient get irritated when I back out.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 07:24 PM   #40
Rdynbama

Just to update everyone , we rode from Marquette to Houghton in pouring rain yesterday, My favorite from Keeweenaw Brewing is Pick Axe ate some whitefish at Joeys, and rode to Copper Harbor this morning and then down to Escanaba where we just had a couple of Yoopers from Upper Hand Brewing (I think) very good!
Unfortunately tomorrow is the last day of this motorcycle trip which started 5 days ago , we have been to Whitefish Point and visited Tahquamenon Falls and plan to visit Palms Book State Park and Castle Rock tomorrow . I guess Pasty’s are not in season so we’ll have to check those out later.

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch