Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2023, 11:26 AM   #1
ChiefDaveD

Inverter Install Attempt

I am attempting to install an Inverter in my Priemer 30RI. I have all the needed components and know how to wire it up. My issue is how to get the battery cables from the pass-through compartment to the battery. I attempted to take out the front false wall but learned I have to remove the pass-through compartment door to be able to so do. I looked up underneath the front of the rig and see where the wire bundle from the connection box passes through the under covering. Can anyone recommend a way to get the battery cables for the inverter down to the battery? Am I right in removing the front false wall? Will that allow me to drill downward to create a hole to pass the battery cables through? Any feedback is welcomed. Thank you!
ChiefDaveD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 09:50 AM   #2
Stangfire

Interested as well. I'll be doing the same thing shortly.
Stangfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 02:38 AM   #3
KnS2023

Did you end up figuring this out? I'll be doing this really soon.
KnS2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 03:50 AM   #4
Stangfire

I did this in my 2013 Hideout. I measured and looked carefully many times and drilled a vertical hole from the pass through compartment straight down and through the underbelly. I think I drilled from the bottom up. It worked out perfectly. The hole is in the floor of the compartment right against the front wall.

I sealed the hole in the compartment floor and the underbelly material.

The Inverter battery cables were nice and close to the battery. I screwed the inverter to the front vertical wall of the compartment. It's about 24" in from the outside edge. So I can easily reach it to turn it on and plug something in.

As well I ran a permanent 14/2 wire and the remote wire along the underbelly and then up through the floor into the entertainment unit. I installed a dedicated plug receptacle that is 120v inverter power only. I can then plug my tv and dvd player into it. I also installed the wired remote switch for the inverter in the entertainment center. I can monitor the voltage and turn on/off from bed, lol.

It all worked out really well and I have been using it all summer. I am setup off grid at a permanent camp. I have (2)100w solar panels and (2)6V golf cart batteries. I have never ran out of power. The longest I have been there at a time is 4 days. However each day the panels top the batteries up full.
Stangfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 05:00 AM   #5
HeadHam

Inverter Installation

Not sure what you're working with, but here is the one I just installed in my 5th wheel Cougar.

There were two plywood sheets, one that the inverter is mounted to just covers wires behind it. The second was the barrier between the storage compartment and the front storage where the batteries are located. By removing all the mounting screws from the interior sheet, I was able to slide it away from the storage door and get behind it. Being careful to not cut into any wires, I used a hole saw to drill through both walls and feed the 12 Volt supply wires through to the battery compartment. Since the 2000 Watt inverter can draw up to 200 Amps, I went straight to the battery terminals.

Hope this helps give you some ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inverter.jpg (278.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Inverter 2.jpg (174.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Inverter 3.jpg (435.9 KB, 54 views)

Rich & Marilyn
2018 Ram 2500 with 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2023 Keystone Cougar 29RLI 5th wheel
Curt 16E hitch
HeadHam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter