Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2023, 01:14 AM   #1
Beernutzbob

"You have a flat!" warning

Twice now, once back in November and again yesterday, while driving on a divided highway a person has passed me, waved to get my attention and said "You've got a flat!"

Both times I pulled over and checked all 4 tires and there was nothing wrong. The second time yesterday was dangerous as the interstate was very busy and it probably took 10 minutes to get an opening to get back on it.

I am curious if this has happened to anyone else?
Beernutzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 03:45 AM   #2
dutchmensport

No, but that's weird behavior coming from other drivers. For it to happen to you twice is strange, especially if you saw nothing was wrong. Did you actually check your tire pressure or just do a visual look? Check your tire pressure, make sure the tires are inflated to the max psi.
Old 04-20-2023, 03:54 AM   #3
Pull Toy

Check under your camper to see if anything might be loose or flapping that might look like a problem to a following motorist.

Good luck,
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 03:57 AM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernutzbob View Post
Twice now, once back in November and again yesterday, while driving on a divided highway a person has passed me, waved to get my attention and said "You've got a flat!"

Both times I pulled over and checked all 4 tires and there was nothing wrong. The second time yesterday was dangerous as the interstate was very busy and it probably took 10 minutes to get an opening to get back on it.

I am curious if this has happened to anyone else?
Seems like since it happened twice that something is going on with the tires. Are they talking about your TV or Trailer…I would post year make and model of both…

Could be wrong tire load range, uneven cargo, bad tire or bad suspension part…maybe have someone follow you and video your rig while your driving down the road….both coming at you and following behind…might want to hit a cat scale also
Old 04-20-2023, 04:43 AM   #5
Beernutzbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
No, but that's weird behavior coming from other drivers. For it to happen to you twice is strange, especially if you saw nothing was wrong. Did you actually check your tire pressure or just do a visual look? Check your tire pressure, make sure the tires are inflated to the max psi.
The first time it happened I checked all 4 tires with a gauge and they were all at max pressure where I'd set them when we departed.

The second time I visually inspected them on the side of the interstate but didn't check them until the next exit at a gas station and they were all to spec then too.

It is definitely odd. We're camping with friends and will be driving back to our home base together so I'm going to see if they can inspect our tires at highway speed on the way home.
Beernutzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 04:49 AM   #6
Beernutzbob

TV is a 2015 F150 3.5L ecoboost with max tow package and we pull a 2019 Outback Ultra-Lite 240URS with an Equal-i-zer e2. The trailer's dry weight is just over 5,000 lbs and I doubt we've got over 1,000 lbs of gear and water in it.

The first time we were driving about 60 on a 55 mph highway and the guy definitely yelled you have a flat. That highway was not very busy and I was able to pull off into a turn lane and check all the tires with a gauge. Later at a large gas station I took our magnetically attached rear view camera and stuck it on the camper's bumper and we drove around the lot but couldn't see any problem.

The second time we were doing 70 on a 70 mph interstate and a couple of guys passed us and waved and yelled something about our tire. The road noise hampered communication but I thought he said flat. They kept passing us and I pulled onto the shoulder and did an inspection.
Old 04-20-2023, 06:40 AM   #7
dutchmensport

I just re-read your post and had a chill go up my spine!

Is it possible those people flagging you down were actually of the "criminal element?" You know, flag you down, you stop, and then they rob you?

Perhaps you kept driving until you could reach a safe place to pull over and do the tire inspection, and where you stopped was not the right "spot" for "them" to do the "criminal activity?"

It's just a thought that sent a chill to me. Be careful out there. That is why we "carry."
Old 04-20-2023, 06:48 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

You may have a problem with loose coroplast or Darco liner that "looks OK when sitting still" but when driving, the air turbulence around the tires causes it to flap around the tires, making it look like a tire is coming apart ?????

It may even be the coroplast belly liner that's between the tires that is folding over and laying against the inside of a tire, making it look like the tread is separating ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 07:39 AM   #9
Ron

All good ideas above and let me add another one, possible suspension sag causing a tire to rub on the frame causing smoke when hitting a bump in the road having some folks thinking you have a low or flat tire getting hot, just my 2 cents worth...
01 F350 7.3 PSD Crew Cab DRW 4X4 6 Speed/Chipped

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 07:56 AM   #10
travelin texans

I had that happen once! We were climbing a very long grade towing the 5er, going slow in the climbing lane when a load of guys came by waving & pointing up. My 1st thought was the antenna was up. Finally got to the top of the grade, pulled over, climbed up the ladder & all was good. Walked all around & nothing. I think they just thought it was funny, it was NOT!
On the possible "criminal element"! We had friends in their motorhome that stopped at a rest area for lunch, a fellow not on their door saying thay had a problem at the back. Once they got to the back he took the guys Rolex, all his jewelry then walked him around to go inside to take all the wife's jewelry & all their cash.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 09:01 AM   #11
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I had that happen once! We were climbing a very long grade towing the 5er, going slow in the climbing lane when a load of guys came by waving & pointing up. My 1st thought was the antenna was up. Finally got to the top of the grade, pulled over, climbed up the ladder & all was good. Walked all around & nothing. I think they just thought it was funny, it was NOT!
On the possible "criminal element"! We had friends in their motorhome that stopped at a rest area for lunch, a fellow not on their door saying thay had a problem at the back. Once they got to the back he took the guys Rolex, all his jewelry then walked him around to go inside to take all the wife's jewelry & all their cash.
Your story brought this video to mind that I watch about a year ago, in regards to staking out and thieving.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 09:13 AM   #12
peanut

This probably does not pertain for this case but . . . . . .

recently in the Portland area there have been several incidences reported on the news where a car pulls next to a driver and yells that there is a problem with their car - - flat tire, wobbling tire, smoke coming from somewhere, something that makes you stop - - and then when you pull over they hijack your car. Be careful and try not to pull over in an isolated spot.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 01:45 PM   #13
Keystoned

TPMS on both vehicles would give you the truth of the matter...
Old 04-20-2023, 05:57 PM   #14
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
Yes - exactly!

(howdy Keystoned! ABQ is home for me - miss it)
Old 04-21-2023, 08:29 AM   #15
DonP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
I agree also, 100%. A TPMS for me is a necessity.
Old 04-21-2023, 09:44 AM   #16
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
This probably does not pertain for this case but . . . . . .

recently in the Portland area there have been several incidences reported on the news where a car pulls next to a driver and yells that there is a problem with their car - - flat tire, wobbling tire, smoke coming from somewhere, something that makes you stop - - and then when you pull over they hijack your car. Be careful and try not to pull over in an isolated spot.
As an addendum...

https://www.wtae.com/article/western...om%20Tennessee.

Beware, there is much evil out there.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 05:28 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
I agree also, 100%. A TPMS for me is a necessity.
I agree, a TPMS is a great addition to any towing rig...

That said, even with a TPMS sitting on the dash, if someone (in this situation, two different people) came up beside you saying "something is wrong with your tires", do you discount their warning because the TPMS isn't showing a problem??? Or do you "err on the side of caution" and inspect your tires/trailer because someone is pointing out a potential problem ?????

I'm not suggesting a TPMS is bad, but they have been known to "show green happiness" even in the face of "deadly gloom and doom".....

To me, it's sort of like waking up at 8AM look at the alarm clock (showing 8AM) and rolling back over to sleep a while longer because the alarm (set for 6) hasn't gone off yet, so the clock must be wrong..... TPMS, to me, is like the clock..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 06:11 PM   #18
bobbecky

Getting warnings from other drivers isn't always a bad thing. In 2015, heading south through Laredo, TX, a couple of fellows pulled up along side of us waving. Rolled the window down and they said our brakes smelled bad. We pulled off at the next side street and after stopping, discovered we had lost the outer bearing on the right rear wheel, but fortunately the tire was captured by the plastic fender. They saved us a small disaster.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 07:04 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

I'm usually open to someone warning me as I'm driving. I've done the same thing for numerous folks and appreciate it when they do for me...but I'm wary. But I'll tell on myself;

Last May coming from FL back to TX we were passing through the DFW metroplex on I20. A vehicle passed us and seemed to motion we had a problem with a tire. I checked the TPMS FOR THE RV and all was OK. Another 10-15 miles across that place and another fellow pulled up beside me and made a more intense motion that there was something wrong and we deciphered a tire problem and assumed the RV...all numbers on the TPMS looked good. In the middle of DFW there are no places to pull over so continued on until we were outside Weatherford TX. Pulled over and even then the vehicles flew by you at 80mph 2-3' from you. Managed to get out of the truck and my TRUCK tire was very low (23psi driver side)! I never have vehicle tire problems because I change them out at about 40k or so. In this case the tire had picked up a screw and slowly lost air as we passed through the DFW metroplex. All those folks were just very good samaritans trying to help two old people out IMO. Lesson learned? I have TPMS in the truck but I always fixated on watching the mileage indicator go up...down...avg. mileage...real time mileage....DID NOT pay attention to the TPMS. And the kicker? I don't really care about the mileage other than to know when to refill!! My truck stays on TPMS now....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 07:11 AM   #20
mudrockatc

Yea, get a tpms, I have the TST 507, always checking on my trailer tires, TV also has built in TPMS!!!!
mudrockatc is offline   Reply With Quote