Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2023, 02:37 PM   #1
Sbct172

2019 1800rb

New to travel trailers. Buying a 2019 1800RB. Manufacturer shows tongue weight being under the 500 that our Telluride needs to stay at. I can’t seem to find the answers for two things.

Is the tongue weight from the manufacturer listed, loaded or unloaded?

Also, should I just assume I will need to buy a weight distribution hitch or should we tow it first and go from there?

Few people said to tow it and see how if toes and feels first. I appreciate it!!!
Sbct172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:11 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. 1800rb doesn't tell members much. The particular product line is mandatory to figure out what you have. I am assuming it is a Bullet Crossfire?

If so the gvwr of that trailer is 4400lbs. Tongue weight at 13% (normal calculation, could be more) is 575lbs. which exceeds the hitch rating of the Telluride. Weight ratings, calculations, limits etc. when considering or towing an RV can be confusing. The "listed" tongue weight from any manufacturer is unloaded.

Realize that the Telluride (Kia) was never meant as a tow vehicle. Kia and Hyundai are trying to compete in the larger SUV markets via those vehicles (Telluride/Palisade). They have chosen supple (soft) suspensions, low power engines and amenities to please soccer moms. The very low hitch rating tells you that they intend the vehicle to tow nothing more than a utility trailer.

A weight distribution hitch with 4 point sway control would be mandatory if you don't want to destroy something....if you choose to buy the trailer. The suggestion to tow it first and "see how it goes and feels" is a terrible suggestion. How it tows and feels compared to what since you are new at this? The benchmark would be to see if it makes it roll....and it will. It may not be able to stop it, control it in any kind adverse condition...but it will make it roll.

Many, many people buy a vehicle for one purpose and then decide they want that vehicle to then become a "tow" vehicle. Unless you have a truck they were never meant for that - just look at that receiver. Many folks press on regardless because they "tried it out" and it "felt" OK...it made it roll. They have no concept of all the other things required to be able to make it roll safely. Not trying to rain on your parade but hopefully pointing out some things that will benefit you as you navigate this decision.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 04:15 PM   #3
Sbct172

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Welcome to the forum. 1800rb doesn't tell members much. The particular product line is mandatory to figure out what you have. I am assuming it is a Bullet Crossfire?

If so the gvwr of that trailer is 4400lbs. Tongue weight at 13% (normal calculation, could be more) is 575lbs. which exceeds the hitch rating of the Telluride. Weight ratings, calculations, limits etc. when considering or towing an RV can be confusing. The "listed" tongue weight from any manufacturer is unloaded.

Realize that the Telluride (Kia) was never meant as a tow vehicle. Kia and Hyundai are trying to compete in the larger SUV markets via those vehicles (Telluride/Palisade). They have chosen supple (soft) suspensions, low power engines and amenities to please soccer moms. The very low hitch rating tells you that they intend the vehicle to tow nothing more than a utility trailer.

A weight distribution hitch with 4 point sway control would be mandatory if you don't want to destroy something....if you choose to buy the trailer. The suggestion to tow it first and "see how it goes and feels" is a terrible suggestion. How it tows and feels compared to what since you are new at this? The benchmark would be to see if it makes it roll....and it will. It may not be able to stop it, control it in any kind adverse condition...but it will make it roll.

Many, many people buy a vehicle for one purpose and then decide they want that vehicle to then become a "tow" vehicle. Unless you have a truck they were never meant for that - just look at that receiver. Many folks press on regardless because they "tried it out" and it "felt" OK...it made it roll. They have no concept of all the other things required to be able to make it roll safely. Not trying to rain on your parade but hopefully pointing out some things that will benefit you as you navigate this decision.

New to a camper trailer, have towed 7x12 trailer of our own for years.

Yes, the crossfire will be coming with a distribution hitch with sway control. As we travel very light, I won’t be loading the trailer to the max weight. I will however need to add the weight of the fresh water tank and some small items we will keep so at the 13% I am going to run numbers regarding the tongue weight. I appreciate the thoughtful response!!!
Sbct172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 04:23 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Here is the "brochure specifications for the trailer in question. Now, what does that mean ?????

The brochure weight is as follows:

Empty weight of the standard build trailer with no optional equipment, no spare tire, no propane and no battery.

When the dealership gets the trailer, they "prep it for sale" which includes installing a battery and filling the propane tanks.

As noted in the clip below, the EMPTY tongue weight with no battery and no propane is 480 pounds. Add a single GP24 battery and fill the propane tanks and you'll be adding about 70 pounds to the tongue. That makes it roughly 550 pounds, and that's before you put anything in the trailer or add the weight of your chosen hitch (which is also a part of the "maximum hitch weight")...

Additionally, consider that KIA does not publish whether their "unitized body" is capable of supporting a weight distribution hitch, so that's something you'll need to confirm with your KIA dealership. If they say that the Telluride can be equipped with a WD hitch, I'd ask for that in writing. Kia also does not publish the "frontal area limitations" for any of their vehicles. The Bullet 1800 is 8' wide and 10' tall. The frontal square footage is a SIGNIFICANT factor when hitching any trailer to a small vehicle.

And then there's the fact that the Bullet 1800 is a single axle trailer. ALL single axle trailers are inherently more readily affected by sway than a tandem axle trailer. So, sway control is a "must have" addition to your hitch.

All told, with an estimated empty tongue weight over 500 pounds, the uncertainty of installing a WD hitch on your vehicle, the frontal area limitations and the single axle design all add up to a "minimally satisfactory towing experience ahead for you, even if you can somehow manage to get the tongue weight below the 500 pound limit... I'd suspect that equipped for camping with minimal personal belongings, you're going to see tongue weights very close to 600 to 700 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BULLET 1800 SPECS.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	43499  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 03:39 AM   #5
dutchmensport

I find it interesting that the manufacturer's web sites make their vehicles look so robust. Like this photo for the KIA web site:

https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/kia...00000715255737

But if you look at this photo and REALLY study it, the trailer is really no longer than the vehicle and just slightly higher. Horse trailers are generally much more narrow than a conventional 8 foot wide travel trailer, especially a single horse trailer like the one in this photo is.

Personally, I would never tow a travel trailer with this vehicle. It would probably be OK for a small horse trailer, like in the photo, or a small tear drop trailer, or a pop-up, or an A-frame pop-up. But not much more.

Bottom line.... if the trailer is bigger, longer, taller, or wider than the KIA itself, that KIA will have a horrible time towing it.

You will also need an electric brake controller. If the vehicle does not come with a standard integrated brake controller or a factory installed brake controller, then it's really not intended for towing anything over 3000 pounds.

Also, if you REALLY, REALLY look at that photo, that rig is not in motion, in spite of the special effects to make it look like there is dust coming out from under it. Look carefully.... there is no driver in the seat! It's a still photo. Very, very deceptive photo.
Old 04-12-2023, 08:19 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
I find it interesting that the manufacturer's web sites make their vehicles look so robust. Like this photo for the KIA web site:

https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/kia...00000715255737

But if you look at this photo and REALLY study it, the trailer is really no longer than the vehicle and just slightly higher. Horse trailers are generally much more narrow than a conventional 8 foot wide travel trailer, especially a single horse trailer like the one in this photo is.

Personally, I would never tow a travel trailer with this vehicle. It would probably be OK for a small horse trailer, like in the photo, or a small tear drop trailer, or a pop-up, or an A-frame pop-up. But not much more.

Bottom line.... if the trailer is bigger, longer, taller, or wider than the KIA itself, that KIA will have a horrible time towing it.

You will also need an electric brake controller. If the vehicle does not come with a standard integrated brake controller or a factory installed brake controller, then it's really not intended for towing anything over 3000 pounds.

Also, if you REALLY, REALLY look at that photo, that rig is not in motion, in spite of the special effects to make it look like there is dust coming out from under it. Look carefully.... there is no driver in the seat! It's a still photo. Very, very deceptive photo.

LOL! Yep, look at the wheels. They aren't blurred as they would be if rolling and you can see the distinct outlines of the rotors..... Oughta be a law...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 09:05 AM   #7
travelin texans

I have but 1 suggestion, DON'T!
I have a Kia Sorento & love it just as it was designed for, moving people & groceries comfortably & economically. It was NEVER intended to tow anything as mine didn't come with a hitch.
I would talk to the service manager, not a salesperson cause they'll tell you whatever you want to hear, about towing 4400lbs & what it'll do to the warranty or if its even allowed with the use of a WDH.
You also made the very same comment as all newbies about to buy something they aren't equipped to handle, "we will only travel light, only some water onboard!", WRONG. That size rv you'll have it loaded to the max in about 3 outings just like all the rest of us, the only person your fooling is you.
Check the yellow/white tag on the drivers door jamb stating "occupants and cargo must not exceed XXXXlbs", that's the payload, max about of weight allowed in/on THAT vehicle including all people, pets & their stuff + the rv tongue weight + 100lbs +/- for WDH + the change in the ashtray & drinks in the cup holders. I'm assuming wanting to use a SUV to tow with there's some one in the back seats which the weight of each & everyone of their weight is subtracted from the payload.
You've been given very good advice from several that have been rving for lots of years & definitely know what they're talking about. Not trying to be know it all, we've most all BTDT & trying to keep others from repeating those same mistakes.
I will repeat, DO NOT tow that rv with that vehicle!
But your $$, your family, your vehicle, your choice!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 11:52 AM   #8
Max23

Don't do it. Here is my story. I have a F150 truck. A new trailer with a 580lb hitch weight as the mfg states (which I might add is all added to the "cargo capacity" of the truck) Take 15% of everything added into the trailer for use. By the math, I have lots of extra weight capacities left. Hitch, cargo and axle weights. Should be a breeze. No problem. All math added up even with a full tank of fresh water (which I figured added up at a 20% ratio because the tank is towards the front of the TT) I should, by the math be just fine. So, the first time I had to fill the tank before we left home because where we were going had no water available, guess what, I pull up to the cat scale and am 60lbs over my rear axle weight capacity!!!!! Well, that supposed "light" easy 1/2 ton pullable trailer is not. Now until I find a 3/4 ton to pull it with, I can not start out with a full tank of water. Do not listen to the weight specs the mfg puts out and definitely do not go by just a simple add 13% to everything and thats the weight. It just doesn't work that way. That little suv will not have the axle weight capacity, the cargo capacity or anything else you need to safely pull the TT. Speaking from experience and I started out with a 1/2 ton high end towing truck. Sorry but, unsafe is unsafe.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote