Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2023, 02:20 PM   #1
Hawkeye1

HELP. 5th wheel hitch choices.

I have a F250 super duty short bed with high bed rails (22") and pull a cougar with the road armor pin box. I get very close to the back of the cab when manouvering but my biggest issue is the bed rail clearance.
My current Reese Elite hitch at the highest setting and pin box at the lowest only gives me around 4 1/2" clearance.
We have been on a seasonal site for 3 years but want to travel more this year.
Open to looking at sliders, goosebox, goose neck or fixed hitches. I have the factory oem puck system fitted in the truck.
What would your recommendations be for a hitch giving more clearance on both the bed rails and the cab?
Hawkeye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:50 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye1 View Post
I have a F250 super duty short bed with high bed rails (22") and pull a cougar with the road armor pin box. I get very close to the back of the cab when manouvering but my biggest issue is the bed rail clearance.
My current Reese Elite hitch at the highest setting and pin box at the lowest only gives me around 4 1/2" clearance.
We have been on a seasonal site for 3 years but want to travel more this year.
Open to looking at sliders, goosebox, goose neck or fixed hitches. I have the factory oem puck system fitted in the truck.
What would your recommendations be for a hitch giving more clearance on both the bed rails and the cab?
Hawkeye1, Suggest you consider that your camper has a gross weight of a shade under 14K lbs. The normal estimated pin weight is 23 percent of the gross. 3215 lbs pin weight. Add the weight of your prospective hitch and passengers and stuff in your truck and you are easily north of 4000 lbs payload. Now look at the yellow/white sticker in your driver door frame. It tells you your payload and don't be surprised if you are over loading your 3/4 ton. Happens.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 04:09 PM   #3
Hawkeye1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Hawkeye1, Suggest you consider that your camper has a gross weight of a shade under 14K lbs. The normal estimated pin weight is 23 percent of the gross. 3215 lbs pin weight. Add the weight of your prospective hitch and passengers and stuff in your truck and you are easily north of 4000 lbs payload. Now look at the yellow/white sticker in your driver door frame. It tells you your payload and don't be surprised if you are over loading your 3/4 ton. Happens.
Thanks, I am over on pin weight but I'm comfortable with that decision since I am under the allowable tow weight and the axle weights.
Do you have any recommendations for a hitch?
Old 04-11-2023, 04:26 PM   #4
RollaMo

Quote:
Thanks, I am over on pin weight but I'm comfortable with that decision since I am under the allowable tow weight and the axle weights.

And we're off.......
Old 04-11-2023, 07:34 PM   #5
rhagfo

Quote:
Do you have any recommendations for a hitch?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
And we're off.......
Been there done that, got the T shirt!
Then I wised up, way too many hungry lawyers out there!
OP states he knows his weights, but what I find interesting is that with our 2,800# pin and DW, myself and what I carry in the in bed tool box, I would have even within about 100# of being overweight with a 3500 SRW Ram with a 4,200# payload.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 07:39 PM   #6
rhagfo

As to the hitch most likely need a auto slider, just more weight. I don’t think a Anderson Ultimate would give you the necessary height.
Old 04-11-2023, 09:35 PM   #7
Matty Rich

Andersen makes a hitch specifically for higher bed rails.
Check their website and look for the specs on the “Raised Gooseneck Mount”. Says bed rail height of 21.5”.

I love my Andersen and have recommended it to many people.

Instead of harping on what someones yellow sticker should say, I wish people would stop with the weight policing and try to help answer the OP’s question.
Old 04-11-2023, 09:46 PM   #8
Matty Rich

Quote:
Pretty sure his question was hitch related, not weight related.
Old 04-12-2023, 03:30 AM   #9
notanlines

Matty, I’m afraid you’re in for a harsh ride here. There are many unknowing members, Hawkeye for instance, who simply aren’t aware of the intricacies involved in towing safely. Many here make it a point to direct them in the proper direction. Its all part of the ride.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 03:31 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Rich View Post
Pretty sure his question was hitch related, not weight related.
I am pretty sure he is dangerously overloaded and which hitch isn't as important as pointing out the overload situation. Some folks on this site care about the safety of the other members.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 03:57 AM   #11
dutchmensport

If the hitch height is raised, will the trailer still ride level?

No help on a slider. They are all heavy, heavy, heavy.

But if you are looking for a simple, adjustable height hitch that is durable, strong, and not horribly expensive, comes apart in 3 sections for easy removal, and all together weighs less than 100 pounds, look into the Demco Recon.

Demco does make a slider and the non slider. I have the non-slider, love it! Very easy to use, very easy to remove, and very easy to handle alone when it comes apart in the 3 parts.

https://www.demco-products.com/rv-to...-wheel-hitches
Old 04-12-2023, 03:58 AM   #12
Hawkeye1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Matty, I’m afraid you’re in for a harsh ride here. There are many unknowing members, Hawkeye for instance, who simply aren’t aware of the intricacies involved in towing safely. Many here make it a point to direct them in the proper direction. Its all part of the ride.
I've only been driving semi trucks fir 40 years so looking forward to you teaching me the intricacies of towing safely.
Learning every day.
Old 04-12-2023, 04:04 AM   #13
dutchmensport

Hey everyone... don't you know you don't mess with a man's truck and his brain at the same time. Just recommend the hitch he's looking for. He'll figure it out what you are all talking about eventually.
Old 04-12-2023, 04:04 AM   #14
Matty Rich

Quote:
I am pretty sure he is dangerously overloaded and which hitch isn't as important as pointing out the overload situation. Some folks on this site care about the safety of the other members.
Just asking. What’s considered “dangerously overloaded”?
Take “the sticker” out of the equation. We all know 3/4 tons are capped at 10k for regulation purposes, not vehicle limits. So what’s the limit?
Old 04-12-2023, 04:07 AM   #15
Hawkeye1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Rich View Post
Just asking. What’s considered “dangerously overloaded”?
Take “the sticker” out of the equation. We all know 3/4 tons are capped at 10k for regulation purposes, not vehicle limits. So what’s the limit?
100%. We all know the stickers on 3/4 tons are skewed to keep them under the commercial vehicle regulations.
Old 04-12-2023, 04:08 AM   #16
Matty Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Hey everyone... don't you know you don't mess with a man's truck and his brain at the same time. Just recommend the hitch he's looking for. He'll figure it out what you are all talking about eventually.
Thank you. That was my point. If you’re not gonna answer the question, then keep scrolling.
Stop trolling. Not everyone needs a lecture about payload capacity or door jam stickers.
Old 04-12-2023, 04:56 AM   #17
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
If the hitch height is raised, will the trailer still ride level?

No help on a slider. They are all heavy, heavy, heavy.

But if you are looking for a simple, adjustable height hitch that is durable, strong, and not horribly expensive, comes apart in 3 sections for easy removal, and all together weighs less than 100 pounds, look into the Demco Recon.

Demco does make a slider and the non slider. I have the non-slider, love it! Very easy to use, very easy to remove, and very easy to handle alone when it comes apart in the 3 parts.

https://www.demco-products.com/rv-to...-wheel-hitches

Quote:
Dutchmensport has a good recommendation, seems like a good fit, they have both a slider and non slider. It looks like the slider requires a rail mount. This can be achieved by using a picture frame adapter for the puck mounting system.

WiredGeorge gets a bit dramatic, yes the OP is over payload, and this forum will encourage those over payload to get a TV with a larger payload. He is not towing his 5th wheel with a F150, he does have a HD F250 and is within Axle and tire ratings.
I did just fine with my old 2001 Ram 2500 towing close to 13K. Yep, over GVWR, over Max tow rating (added HP & Torque with small chip), UNDER Axle ratings and UNDER tire ratings. Managed that being 1,700# over the GVWR.
Towed fine, braked fine, handled fine. Towed that way for about seven years.

Yes, would catch the wrath of members for being overloaded, just ignored them as truck didn't need any suspension help to carry the load, the only change was new shocks (Bilsteins) at 255K miles.

When I was ready to get a new truck, I stepped up to a Ram 3500 DRW. My only concern was if I was in a crash with the 2001 Ram some ambulance chasing lawyer would go after us for being so far over GVWR.
Old 04-12-2023, 06:16 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

The debate of NOT informing an unknown newbie (or some "seasond" ) folks is never going away. I look at it like someone looking down the barrel of a loaded 1911 45 pistol with hammer pulled back asking " how do you take the safety off this thing?". Do you simply answer the question? Personally I think it's prudent to point out the danger first and then explain how it works.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 06:42 AM   #19
tallen

Hawkeye1, I have a 2005 F250 6L Powerstroke, and I went with the Anderson Hitch. I love it, it allow me the clearance with my high bed rail sides. Just my 2 cents.
2005 F250 6.0L 4x4 Diesel SRW

tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 06:55 AM   #20
Hawkeye1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallen View Post
Hawkeye1, I have a 2005 F250 6L Powerstroke, and I went with the Anderson Hitch. I love it, it allow me the clearance with my high bed rail sides. Just my 2 cents.
Was that with the 6 3/4 bed? Were you able to use the hitch with the ball receiver forward of the pinbox to give extra cab clearance?

Tags
5th wheel, hitch