Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2023, 03:55 AM   #1
Jswcamping

Heat in the 2nd bedroom and bath.

Hi everyone! So we just took out our 390 DS last night and the heater is working as we feel the air coming from the floor vent in the living room area and the stairs. We do not feel any heat coming up from the vent in the second bedroom or from the floor of the second bathroom, although there are four beds. Is there something we should be doing? We have a guest coming tomorrow and they’re going to freeze! Thanks for your advice.
Jswcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 04:00 AM   #2
Jswcamping

The water heater

We just brought our fifth wheel out last night. I had mentioned in another thread that we don’t have any heat coming through the second bedroom floors but I have another situation. I came out yesterday before my husband to set some things up and I guess I’m confused about, how to know if we have an electric or gas water heater. Do we have both? I think I might have done some damage accidentally by flipping the switch for electric when I first came in because I thought it was for the actual overall electric power, and not the water heater. I’m kind of freaking out. It was winterize so there was antifreeze in it. So when my husband got here, he had turned it off and ran to Menards and did some stuff thinking that the seal was loose or really he’s not even sure. The water works and then when he use the gas switch, we ended up with hot water. But do we have both? And if so, I wonder why the electric didn’t heat it up? Thanks for your help. We are definitely newbies on this model, but we love it!
Old 04-07-2023, 06:32 AM   #3
notanlines

JSW, heat-wise, remember you have programmable dual-zone temperature control. Set bedroom number 2 , or zone 2, to a higher temperature and see what you get. And buy a good space heater…..today. ��
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 07:41 AM   #4
Jswcamping

We do? I don’t see an option to do anything on the thermostat besides heat/cool/fan. The second ac thermostat only shows ac options. Thanks for your help. 😇😇😇
Old 04-07-2023, 07:58 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

The heater runs on propane. I think there is 12V there to ignite but do you have propane in the RV (can the stove light)? I guess it will because you have heat in one area but not the other. The ducting is likely the culprit for lack of heat in the 2nd area. Not sure about the zone control for heat so can't help there.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 09:46 AM   #6
notanlines

Quoted from Keystone Mfg, product website:
“ Fully programmable dual zone temperature control”
Listed as standard on the 390DS Avalanche.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 01:03 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

What year is your trailer? You probably burned up the heating element on the water heater when you turned it on with no water in it. It would still operate on gas but the element would need to be replaced for the electric side to work and going forward....never turn on the electric to the water heater unless there is water in it.

If you have an older trailer you may not have the dual zone thermostat but we don't know anything about the trailer or anything else. If you would go to the upper left tab under User CP and fill in your signature (edit signature) with year, make and model of RV and tow vehicle it is much easier to answer questions accurately. Be sure and save changes.

The heating problems could be collapsed ducts, disconnected ducts or ? Let us know about the trailer so we can do a little better research.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 03:40 PM   #8
Ramtop

The switch for the electric heating element on the hot water heater itself maybe turned off if yours has one.
Old 04-10-2023, 03:20 AM   #9
jxnbbl

The Bullet 330BHS has the furnace in the rear then 3 floor vents - the back bedroom, the living area, the font bedroom.

I bought a vent that "closes" for the closest bedroom to the furnace (the back) to force more air to the other vents. Then I found that the "heated underbelly" (translated - extra flexible ducting to allow heat to radiate below) had been twisted.

I took out the other vents and reached around and just arranged it differently in the underbelly...put the vents back and it worked a lot better.

If I didn't do this the thermostat (at the front of the living space) would not get warm so the back bedroom basically hot and the front bedroom cold.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 04:44 AM   #10
Jswcamping

It’s a 2023 390ds. We just bought it. The hot water heater ended up working when he used the propane (vs electric). We could not get the heat to work for the second bedroom/bathroom. We never found any controls that said dual zone unfortunately.

We are making a list to run it back into the dealership.
Old 05-19-2023, 06:38 AM   #11
gsdog1

I have just purchased a 2023 DS and I have dual controls for air conditioning (main cabin and master bedroom) and only one for heat in the main cabin
gsdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 06:49 AM   #12
gsdog1

On the heat in the 390DS I had read about kinking in the lines going to rear bedroom, this was the case when I had the dealer check it out before taking delivery. And there was a line that was not correct. They did fix that line , but due to the design there is still very little heat going to rear bedroom. they showed the heat going to the rear bedroom by covering the vents in the main cabin and I could feel the heat in the back but after uncovering the vents there is still very little heat in the back.
Old 05-19-2023, 08:13 AM   #13
Jswcamping

Yes! We took it to the dealership and it is poor design that is causing it and right now Keystone switched our vents to vents that have the option to close. It’s a design flaw.
Old 05-19-2023, 05:48 PM   #14
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswcamping View Post
Yes! We took it to the dealership and it is poor design that is causing it and right now Keystone switched our vents to vents that have the option to close. It’s a design flaw.
Keep in mind you wouldn’t want to shut off too many vents at one time or you will cause the furnace to run too hot and will kick out on high limit. You can damper them down but do not close completely off unless you want other issues
Old 05-20-2023, 08:56 AM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdog1 View Post
I have just purchased a 2023 DS and I have dual controls for air conditioning (main cabin and master bedroom) and only one for heat in the main cabin
Sounds totally normal. You have 2 A/Cs on the roof & only 1 furnace underneath, 3 completely seperate units, no need for a heat setting on the 2nd set of controls that only powers that 1 A/C unit.
Cooling only comes out the ceiling vents, heat from only the floor vents.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom, heat