Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2023, 03:21 PM   #21
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I wonder if I can get a, "magnetorheological dampers an optional extra" for my clunker. Sounds really cool. To all you guys who have owned Vettes... bwhahahaha That blue thing looks a lot like an Equinox. Nothing like a zillion horsepower grocery getter with car seats in the back (starting at $60K).
Yeah that blue thing will never be in my garage.
If I have to I’ll have a ‘32 roadster built.
My 2008 Corvette actually was a great dependable car. Had 1 recall on a headlight switch. Cruise control set at 65 on level road it would get decent mileage, maybe 24mpg if I recall correctly. I very much regret selling it. But it got to where I didn’t want to drive it through some neighborhoods, I was always concerned about being car jacked even with Sam Colt riding with me. Frequently wondered if someone would bust a stop sign and tear it up. Wouldn’t even drive it near the lake because of the bugs. Too much to worry over.
Driving a dirty Corvette is almost sacrilegious.
I’m spending a good amount of time thinking about “where do I go from here”, regarding the RV’s. Sell the bay boat, sell the 5th, sell the Bigfoot cabover, sell the Ram. Buy??
Corvette? Mustang? Miata?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 03:41 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Yeah that blue thing will never be in my garage.
If I have to I’ll have a ‘32 roadster built.
My 2008 Corvette actually was a great dependable car. Had 1 recall on a headlight switch. Cruise control set at 65 on level road it would get decent mileage, maybe 24mpg if I recall correctly. I very much regret selling it. But it got to where I didn’t want to drive it through some neighborhoods, I was always concerned about being car jacked even with Sam Colt riding with me. Frequently wondered if someone would bust a stop sign and tear it up. Wouldn’t even drive it near the lake because of the bugs. Too much to worry over.
Driving a dirty Corvette is almost sacrilegious.
I’m spending a good amount of time thinking about “where do I go from here”, regarding the RV’s. Sell the bay boat, sell the 5th, sell the Bigfoot cabover, sell the Ram. Buy??
Corvette? Mustang? Miata?

Think long and hard about it. I have seriously considered a C8 Z06. Every time I really get to talking to myself in earnest about it, it's the kid in me talking. Heck, I could barely get out of my company car and the kid's Vette? One hand on the pavement as I crawled out (legs/back just don't bend and operate much anymore). He drove a Ferrari to me and that was a hoot but it would be the same thing as the C8...can't get out. But the sound of that flat plane V8 in the Vette sounds SO good....then reality. If I bought something other than a truck or SUV it would be along the lines of a Mercedes S550 or something like that...but I like SUVs and trucks.

Where do we go from here I think is a question we all come to as we get a bit older. We had several houses thinking that was the answer - it's not. Getting back to using an RV more has been more fun. The boats I got tired of. We have wonderful fishing where I am....I can find a pond within 5 hours or so in any direction but that got to be no fun - and expensive so gave them both away. Used to think I would migrate to staying (renting) in a motel from time to time or a condo but I've gotten to where the only person I like to be around 24/7 other than DW is me. Stayed in a hotel for 3 days a few days ago and was reminded exactly how much I don't like it....but they had good cookies!!

For us I'm thinking 7-8 years and I'll consider cutting back or stopping. We still like the new places, foods we haven't eaten, recipes we come across, people we meet...and being in our own place without someone slamming a door next to you every 15 minutes. All of us have different circumstances but in my case I dislike the town I live in greatly simply due to it's non stop wind and sand along with no trees or water. DW is not going to move so I try to stay gone. You have family all around and we don't so that has a big bearing on your situation as well. Ponder well and good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 04:10 PM   #23
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Think long and hard about it. I have seriously considered a C8 Z06. Every time I really get to talking to myself in earnest about it, it's the kid in me talking. Heck, I could barely get out of my company car and the kid's Vette? One hand on the pavement as I crawled out (legs/back just don't bend and operate much anymore). He drove a Ferrari to me and that was a hoot but it would be the same thing as the C8...can't get out. But the sound of that flat plane V8 in the Vette sounds SO good....then reality. If I bought something other than a truck or SUV it would be along the lines of a Mercedes S550 or something like that...but I like SUVs and trucks.

Where do we go from here I think is a question we all come to as we get a bit older. We had several houses thinking that was the answer - it's not. Getting back to using an RV more has been more fun. The boats I got tired of. We have wonderful fishing where I am....I can find a pond within 5 hours or so in any direction but that got to be no fun - and expensive so gave them both away. Used to think I would migrate to staying (renting) in a motel from time to time or a condo but I've gotten to where the only person I like to be around 24/7 other than DW is me. Stayed in a hotel for 3 days a few days ago and was reminded exactly how much I don't like it....but they had good cookies!!

For us I'm thinking 7-8 years and I'll consider cutting back or stopping. We still like the new places, foods we haven't eaten, recipes we come across, people we meet...and being in our own place without someone slamming a door next to you every 15 minutes. All of us have different circumstances but in my case I dislike the town I live in greatly simply due to it's non stop wind and sand along with no trees or water. DW is not going to move so I try to stay gone. You have family all around and we don't so that has a big bearing on your situation as well. Ponder well and good luck.
Thanks Danny. We are about on the same program.
We moved to this town from Houston in 1993. Daughter was in first grade, son in pre K. It’s a good place to raise kids. A wide spectrum of socio economic folks. The occasional street wino to the bank CEO, kids get to see it all. If it was just me and Betty I would consider somewhere else. Maybe a small college town somewhere in east Texas. But I’m not leaving my kids and grand kids.
I’m giving the RV’s maybe 4-5 years.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 04:59 PM   #24
jasin1

i deleted and will sit this one out because it just sounded like it was all about me when i re read my post..i’m thankful for my life and family

edit: the jist of my post was that we had some fast cars and sold the last one and got my wife a little hardtop convertible infinity some years ago..i had a escalade that just sat in my garage and sold it to get my son a boat for a charter business after he got his 100 ton captains license at an early age (almost traded it for a 2013 or 14 vette grand sport) …But i always felt like a fast sports car would eventually kill me

I’ve always told my kids money won’t bring you happiness you need to find something that make you happy and do what you need to do financially to make it happen.
Both kids have great jobs and i tried to instill a sense of wonder and adventure in them and they both live their life that way..they have been all over the country and world for work and vacations

..speaking on younger generations…….Very proud that both of my kids grew up respecting older generations and my son when he was a small boy could have conversations with ww2 vets and understand what they were saying about the battles and planes etc…my daughter works for a boating magazine and interviews and meets many veterans of the boating and fishing industry and they have a wonderful rapport and they treat her like a friend even though she is much younger.

as i said it’s been my greatest pleasure watching my kids grow up and enjoy life!
Old 04-18-2023, 06:13 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Eventually we will get rid of some of our toys and maybe even move somewhere else …like to get some land somewhere in the mountains also been thinking a lot about Florida but just don’t know…seems like everyone is moving there

As you age I would think twice about "mountains". Depending, mountains can be the rolling hills (IMO) of NC, MO etc. or "mountains" as in Rockies and a home at 8-10kft. Former is OK, latter is not so much as you age - btdt, so be careful of what you choose. Extreme temps in winter (-15 or so), large amounts of snowfall per year (15' possibly) and the accompanying mtce. issues those bring are zero fun when you get older. Snow looks fun, and was when we were younger...not any longer.

Brent posted about considerations as life progressed. I think we all do and your post didn't seem to me like it was all about you. It is hard for one to contemplate things with possible profound effects on their life in a vacuum. Input from others that face the same situations helps. Life experiences may or may not be the same but sharing, IMO, helps those contemplating some kind of move put things in perspective. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 06:49 PM   #26
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As you age I would think twice about "mountains". Depending, mountains can be the rolling hills (IMO) of NC, MO etc. or "mountains" as in Rockies and a home at 8-10kft. Former is OK, latter is not so much as you age - btdt, so be careful of what you choose. Extreme temps in winter (-15 or so), large amounts of snowfall per year (15' possibly) and the accompanying mtce. issues those bring are zero fun when you get older. Snow looks fun, and was when we were younger...not any longer.

Brent posted about considerations as life progressed. I think we all do and your post didn't seem to me like it was all about you. It is hard for one to contemplate things with possible profound effects on their life in a vacuum. Input from others that face the same situations helps. Life experiences may or may not be the same but sharing, IMO, helps those contemplating some kind of move put things in perspective. JMO
Good point about the mountains …my daughter and her husband would like a place in idaho or utah. and my son prefers the water in Florida…i’ve always been on the water and don’t know if i could live away from it…but we are a close family and will figure out a compromise whether it’s a vacation property or find houses close to one another…if we do vacation property we would probably? get rid of the rv but i change my mind almost daily at this point
Old 04-19-2023, 10:12 AM   #27
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I&C is Instrument and Control….the computers that control the processes of making products in a chemical plant. Pretty much the top of the food chain of hourly types.
BB is my wife, grandma.
And BB is very aware of unruly kids in the classroom. She was the advanced math teacher in high school. She had a student body block her back onto her desk. Filed assault charges on her. Weirdly the kid was daughter of a co-worker. She was expelled from school.
PE is Professional Engineer. Most states have exams for college grads to take to be a licensed state engineer. Most employers value that license.
What did I miss?
to elaborate, a college grad in accredited engineering curriculum takes an 8-hour test called the FE, fundamentals of engineering. If pass, requires four years' of relevant experience which you document in what is called an amplified record of engineering experience, then you need 5 references from registered professional engineers. If the review board accepts your amplified record and references, you can sit for another 8-hour exam called the PE exam to become a registered professional engineer. It is an outstanding accomplishment!
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote