Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2023, 04:54 PM   #1
CedarCreekWoody

Good Sam RV insurance

I'm looking for comments on Good Sam RV insurance. It is time to renew my insurance and I'm considering a change.
My quote on my annual Progressive renewal is $1,060 and Good Sam is almost half that. I have had a car, a truck and two boats with Progressive for several years. I expected multi-policy discount and good treatment but have been disappointed.
Any thoughts to share, good or bad?
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 05:04 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I'm looking for comments on Good Sam RV insurance. It is time to renew my insurance and I'm considering a change.
My quote on my annual Progressive renewal is $1,060 and Good Sam is almost half that. I have had a car, a truck and two boats with Progressive for several years. I expected multi-policy discount and good treatment but have been disappointed.
Any thoughts to share, good or bad?
stupid question but are the two policy’s the exact same coverage,deductibles and perks ?
Old 03-12-2023, 05:23 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I had Progressive for several years, prices got too high and switched to State Farm. I kept Progressive for my boats but the first time I filed a claim the adjustor denied the most expensive parts of the engine repairs until I and the service manager intervened - I dropped them. I use them now for my home insurance since their rates are cheaper - but rising. Their underwriter has done a good job. I would not use them for car or RV insurance.

I use Geico for my RV along with my vehicles. The RV insurance is basically a rider with as good or better coverages than standalone policies. I've had one claim with them for the RV and they were fantastic.

I don't know about Good Sam RV insurance since their pricing could not compare with Geico (I checked). However, if the pricing is right, I wouldn't hesitate to use them. I have virtually everything they offer other than RV/car insurance and they have been top notch for me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 05:47 PM   #4
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
stupid question but are the two policy’s the exact same coverage,deductibles and perks ?
Yes, pretty much the same.
I have heard Good Sam has very good service since they are an RV oriented company where others are not. Not sure if there is any validity in this.
Andersen hitch
Old 03-12-2023, 08:10 PM   #5
fjr vfr

My experience is they're all the same, and what I mean is hit or miss as far as which one seems to work for you. Everyone seems to have different luck from the same companies.
I had Geigo for one year after we moved and they absolutly soaked me to the bone. They would need to be the last insurance on earth for me to use them! Also had a problem with State Farm getting them to pay after one of their customers rear ended my wife. They were 100% at fault. They would not come look at our car and made us go to them on their schedule. They then low balled us and wouldn't pay for all the damage. Very bad experience with them.
I've had two claims with Progressive, one for a leaking roof on our house and another a fender bender...my fault. Both times they addressed the claims very fast and haven't raised my rates.
With that said, refer back to the beginning of my post. Your results and experience may vary.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 08:27 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

I had Progressive up until a few years ago. They bought me a new lifetime roof when mine was torn without any hassle and didn't raise my rates. During the pandemic they didn't lower rates like some other companies did because folks just couldn't get out as much and I got mad and added my camper to my Hartford auto policy (truck and missus car) and it cost next to nothing. Problem was it was only liability and even though I have a pretty old and low value trailer I got nervous about the lack of coverage and bought roadside assistance from Camping World. Used that once and they were pretty good but went back to Progressive which has roadside assistance and the difference between Hartford w/Good Sam backup and Progressive wasn't that much. I have my trike insured with Progressive and a number of years ago was smacked by a car (his fault) and could get the LEOs in Victoria to respond since no one was injured so Progressive picked up the bill minus my deducible and were very very fair settling and did so quickly and without any hassles. Best rate is great until you need them to pay or provide customer service after an accident and then the low ball insurance might not seem like a great idea.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:05 AM   #7
notanlines

" one of their customers rear ended my wife. They were 100% at fault. They would not come look at our car and made us go to them on their schedule. They then low balled us and wouldn't pay for all the damage. Very bad experience with them."
I would simply have called Geico and they would have handled it all. 50 year customer and they have always been fair, and timely.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:15 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Give Progressive a call and ask why YOUR rates increased so much.....

We have Progressive on the trailer, not on anything else, because their rates are so much lower than other companies. Last year, our rates almost tripled. When DW called to clarify, Progressive "discovered their error" and our rates went back to the original pricing.

While this is NO EXCUSE for their error, apparently Progressive had some sort of "computer changeover" (or some crap) and some/many/most (who knows) of their RV policies were placed in the wrong pricing category. With us, a quick call to Progressive and it was all fixed....

Your issue may be different, or it may be the same.... If you're happy with past service, I'd give them a call and see if your rates were in the same group as ours and it's not a rate increase, but a computer glitch.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:32 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Insurance is governed by each state so someone's great experience in their state may not translate to how the results may be in your state. If you deal with an agent locally then that can make a huge difference as well. We have State Farm for over 20 yrs now and have been extremely satisfied as our agent has always been there for us and treats us very well. Over the years we've come to good friends with his family as a result. As always, YMMV..
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:42 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Insurance is governed by each state so someone's great experience in their state may not translate to how the results may be in your state. If you deal with an agent locally then that can make a huge difference as well. We have State Farm for over 20 yrs now and have been extremely satisfied as our agent has always been there for us and treats us very well. Over the years we've come to good friends with his family as a result. As always, YMMV..
We proved the point that insurance costs vary widely by state. When we lived in the Peoples Republic of MD, we had State Farm insurance but when we moved to Texas (about 30 years ago now), State Farm was much more expensive down here. Not sure why. Can't recall who we changed to but we did change. And as I said, customer service and prompt and equitable handling of claims becomes far more important than just the lowest price.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:44 AM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
" one of their customers rear ended my wife. They were 100% at fault. They would not come look at our car and made us go to them on their schedule. They then low balled us and wouldn't pay for all the damage. Very bad experience with them."
I would simply have called Geico and they would have handled it all. 50 year customer and they have always been fair, and timely.
Had the same issue with the other driver having Allstate, they wouldn't even try to be fair dealing with me. Called my State Farm agent, his 1st question was how much I wanted for the totaled car, he said he'd handle it, in about a week I had a check in hand for that amount. My agent said never deal with another myself, "that's why you pay me!".
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:59 AM   #12
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
would you be opposed to me name dropping?……. Hello Geico?…its Brian …i’m Friends with Jim ….yup..uh huh..from Memphis
Old 03-13-2023, 10:48 AM   #13
cougar23

When we bought our new 5th wheel we were offered Good Sam insurance. The rate seamed high and when I asked what Insurance company Good Sam used was told Progressive. Since my autos are insured with Progressive I called my agent and her price was slightly lower than Good Sam. My home insurance is with State Farm so called them and was given a much lower rate.
cougar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 10:50 AM   #14
bobbecky

Good Sam is not an insurance company. They are an insurance agency and use several insurance companies to write policies, some of them are Progressive, National Interstate, Foremost and Safeco.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 12:21 PM   #15
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Good Sam is not an insurance company. They are an insurance agency and use several insurance companies to write policies, some of them are Progressive, National Interstate, Foremost and Safeco.
Yes, very true. Their agent just called and said "we work with lots of companies and can find one for you, etc etc." Once I realized they are only a broker I eliminated them from consideration.
Much truth above about rates varying state to state and service depending very much on your agent.
Andersen hitch