Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2023, 08:43 AM   #1
marinemama

Unhappy Theft prevention

We had a Springdale TT stolen from a secured storage lot.

When we replace it and want to store it what options do we have to secure it so it can't be moved?

Does anyone have thoughts on suing the owners of the lot?
marinemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 09:18 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The FIRST thing I'd do is find a different storage lot !!!!!

As for "suing them", legal advice is significantly different from state to state, so I'd start with your insurance agent and ask those questions... You'll get much better advice from your agent than from someone 8 or 10 states away who is not familiar with the laws of your state....

As for how to protect it against "next time".....

A heavy chain and HD lock through the spokes of the wheels ???

A coupler lock on the tongue of the trailer, or if it's a fifth wheel, a pin collar lock ???

Depending on the storage lot, put the stabilizers or the leveling system jacks down, to make it more difficult to tow it away.

All of those "might slow down a determined thief" but they won't make any rig "completely theft proof"..... Even an "armed guard" could fall asleep and miss the thief's activity, so.......

IMHO, "good insurance and a personal relationship with your insurance agent" is the best assurance against today's emboldened criminals......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 09:23 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Was your TT locked to the ground? hitch lock? wheel locks?

If not I doubt you would have a case. Does the storage facility have any type of camera or "sign in/out" system? If not it could have been anybody that had a key to the gate. Even if the owners issued the keys and had them stamped "do not duplicate" that doesnt stop some people.

There are different theft DETERRENT systems, but in the end IF they WANT it they WILL TAKE IT.

Years ago before I bought my house and kept my previous trailer in the back yard, We had to store it at the local RV dealership. Found out employees were stealing property and even the entire RV on the weekends and taking them to Arizona to be parted out. Ours had the propane tanks, regulator and all my hoses taken. They tried to pry the door open but I always deadlock it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:14 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Buy a 2002 Cougar and no one will want it.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:26 AM   #5
notanlines

If you had no insurance in most lots in Tennessee you would not be allowed on the major storage slips. Why would you give any thoughts to suing the lot? If you had no insurance or insufficient insurance then that’s on you.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:31 AM   #6
Alpine Custom Upgrade

Theft

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinemama View Post

When we replace it and want to store it what options do we have to secure it so it can't be moved?

I would suspect that the storage lot has wording and signage that says the lot is NOT responsible for theft or damage. Might check that out first.
2012 Freightliner M2 112 2L Conversions
450HP Detroit DD13 1,650 torque,
Allison 4000 automatic, 4.30 gear
Alpine Custom Upgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:52 AM   #7
jasin1

everyone should hide an apple airtag or tile tracker in anything they are worried about being stolen…not foolproof but only helps..many youtube videos of people tracking down their stuff..and you can look right on your phone anytime from mostly anywhere to check if it’s moved
Old 03-12-2023, 11:31 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
everyone should hide an apple airtag or tile tracker in anything they are worried about being stolen…not foolproof but only helps..many youtube videos of people tracking down their stuff..and you can look right on your phone anytime from mostly anywhere to check if it’s moved
Or install "that new fandangled contraption" that Ford is talking about putting in their new trucks... You know, the "automatic repossession system" so that when you miss a payment, the truck drives itself back to the dealership...

Put one of those in a trailer and it'll disconnect itself next time the thief tows it past a police station.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 02:13 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Like was mentioned, a different storage facility.

What security measures did the storage facility have and what did you have on the trailer? Thieves generally go for easy so maybe something appealed to them.

Sue the facility? I'm not sure why anyone would do that. Did they promise in writing that they guaranteed your trailer would not be stolen? No matter where one puts the trailer I would think it would be on them to make sure it was hard to get. I keep mine in a steel enclosed barn with automatic doors, cameras, bright lighting, automated gates and an 8' steel fence. Inside I keep locks on the trailer pin/tongue. If someone takes that away my first thought is calling the insurance company.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 02:35 PM   #10
Dacheedah

The problem by apple airtags is that about 1/3 of cell users would immediately know they are being tracked and if they knew, often times cause major damage to the trailer. There are trackers that will wake up and report movement. The back walls are often hung walls so they can be slipped into the back wall or even camera area. You pay, some insurances offer discounts, but its better to recover an in tact unit or even track to where it was moved to. Our stolen auto unit had a trailer stolen and it was recovered in a secured storage lot in St Louis. When they checked lpr's the truck pulling it had plates from a totaled truck pulling it. The truck was likely stolen also.

Army, 7th ID 7th MP Co
Retired LEO
9-1-1 Director
Dacheedah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 04:01 AM   #11
linux3

If you are thinking of a coupler lock the youtube channel lockpickinglawyer tests many.

2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 07:53 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
If you are thinking of a coupler lock the youtube channel lockpickinglawyer tests many.

The person who made the video said the cast body could be melted with a propane torch... kind of doubt that but a MAPP torch would burn right through that cast body easily. I work with cast pot metal carburetor bodies and know full well what a MAPP or propane torch can do.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 08:38 AM   #13
Camping family

Sorry to say but you can’t stop a thief! If they want it they will get it. After 35 years in law enforcement I seen a lot. What I have learned personally is you can only deter a thief. The harder you make it for them to steal the more likely they will move onto someone or something that is easier. Basically they are lazy and don’t want to work hard to steal something of yours.
Lock it up, chain it up, block it in. Make it as hard as you can and they will move on to somewhere easier. Light it up, put cameras out when you can they will move on. But if they really want it they will figure a way out to get it.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 08:57 AM   #14
jasin1

i agree with the advice on multiple lines of defense but the air tag or tile will let you monitor your trailer from a remote location also ..easily see if it’s still where you left it.
it’s not foolproof but helps…there are youtube videos that describe how to remove the tiny speaker in it to make it even more stealthy..just find a good hiding spot
Old 03-13-2023, 09:24 AM   #15
travelin texans

I absolutely agree if a theif wants it they'll get it!
Our church had an enclosed trailer we stored a big zero turn mower with the other lawn equipment. The tongue on the trailer was bent making very difficult to hitch up, had a lock on the coupler, it was up on blocks with both tires flat & had an extension ladder chained through the spokes on the wheel, it was basically a storage shed on the back of the lot. One Sunday morning it was gone! We picked up the ladder at the end of the driveway & followed the gouges in the pavement from the flat tires for a few blocks till they stopped, apparently it was loaded onto another trailer. It was never found!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:42 AM   #16
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I absolutely agree if a theif wants it they'll get it!
Our church had an enclosed trailer we stored a big zero turn mower with the other lawn equipment. The tongue on the trailer was bent making very difficult to hitch up, had a lock on the coupler, it was up on blocks with both tires flat & had an extension ladder chained through the spokes on the wheel, it was basically a storage shed on the back of the lot. One Sunday morning it was gone! We picked up the ladder at the end of the driveway & followed the gouges in the pavement from the flat tires for a few blocks till they stopped, apparently it was loaded onto another trailer. It was never found!
Now that's what I call determination.
Looks like some low life thief is gonna start their own lawn service and try to make an honest living. Probably Not...
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 10:20 AM   #17
gearhead

I vote for lowering the jacks/leveling system and pulling the ground off your battery. They will be there for weeks trying to figure that one out.
Unless of course they are RV Techs.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 11:44 AM   #18
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinemama View Post

Sorry for your loss, hope you had good insurance.
Just how secure was the lot? Before we full timed the lot we kept our 5th wheel at
had pin pad entrance and exit, with full video monitors on the lot. The lot also had an on site watch person.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 05:34 PM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Sorry for your loss, hope you had good insurance.
Just how secure was the lot? Before we full timed the lot we kept our 5th wheel at
had pin pad entrance and exit, with full video monitors on the lot. The lot also had an on site watch person.
Speaking from personal experience all of that is meaningless. About 7 yrs ago we had our camper in a gated storage lot where the manager lived above the office. They had a well illuminated lot with 51, yes 51 video cameras. One day in early March a guy broke into the lot an ransacked, damaged, and stole from 19 trailers. Over 4K in damages/losses to our unit. The police put trail cams in the surrounding woods and he returned days later and broke into other units.

They caught the guy because he left a glove and a needle behind with DNA on it. He had broken into 2 RV dealers and 4 or 5 storage lots. He was obviously a drug addict and ended up with a 15 yr sentence. "Fences make good neighbors" and " locks keep honest people honest" are true addages.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 05:43 AM   #20
dutchmensport

I think about the only way to keep theft from happening is to remove all 4 wheels and let it sit on blocks. Even then, it could still be slid on a flat loader and taken away!

Leaving all your jacks down (if they are electric and the button controls are behind a locked door) is a good deterrent also.

Tags
vent