Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2023, 02:31 PM   #1
LHaven

Bumper liner

So I was thinking about how most people store their dumper hose in their bumper, but it's a bad idea because it makes rust inside that then scratches holes in the hose.

It seems like such an obvious idea for someone to make a really thin rigid plastic liner that would fit inside the bumper -- stuff would still get wet, and maybe the bumper would still rust inside, but the liner would keep the hose separated from the rust. So I did a web search for such a product and came up empty. Since I'm not egotistical enough to think I'm the first person who ever came up with this idea, there must be a reason. Someone must have tried this and it failed. Does anyone have historical lore on such products, or maybe know of a current product that just isn't showing up in my searches?

I remember on my first rig, instead of a slunky, we bought a telescoping blue tube that the hose fit inside. It was pretty thick plastic, but still fit inside the bumper. We threw it away because any dirt or sand it picked up caused it to lock up so tight we couldn't extend or collapse it anymore. I'm thinking if that thick thing fit inside the bumper with the hose in it, then a much thinner rigid plastic liner should also have room to fit the hose inside.
Old 02-19-2023, 02:35 PM   #2
Max23

I know on mine there is barely enough room to get the hose in. Very tight. No way to slide it in a liner. Now, if you came up with a thin liner that opened the long way, stick the hose in, closeit and slide that in, I'd buy that. Get busy! Lol.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 08:24 PM   #3
rhagfo

Better yet, 5" vinyl fence post with caps!
We store 2 10' hose lengths, a 45 degree clear elbow, a 90 degree clear (Rhino) elbow, and another 90 degree elbow that is a bit taller, works where Rhino doesn't.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:41 PM   #4
LHaven

Yes, I've seen those fencepost builds and have been quite enamored of them. While assembling the carrier itself would be an enjoyable project, the work involved in mounting them under the frame seems too daunting for me. Not only do I not look forward to removing coroplast panels simply to determine where it is safe to drill holes behind them, I seem to have developed an actual positional vertigo that is triggered by assuming the creeper position.

My current non-trivial project is to raise my dinette seatbacks 1.5" to accommodate the improved, thicker seatcushions I purchased without realizing these consequences. Indoors, woodwork, and well above ground level makes this an ideal challenge for me.

Undercarriage on my back? Not my forte anymore.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:32 AM   #5
mjeronimo

Plastic sheats

Barely over 1/8 inch thick sold at Lowes-cut outside face folds nice and square used on bumper of my old trailer ( I kept my flag pole in there). I don’t like to drill hoes in my frames so I use I-beam clamps has a hole for 3/8 all thread strong enough to hold my double hose post’s ( cheap I ordered on Amazon 10 for 30 bucks (get malleable iron with hole for allthread going with the clamp bolt)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	747F526C-2E65-4CE7-A50D-8A18AB8EB7C0.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	43001   Click image for larger version

Name:	6A11A4D4-9387-4F43-A750-99ECDFBC5F77.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	43002   Click image for larger version

Name:	44BDA046-352F-4CA5-94C6-02604E92EF23.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	43003   Click image for larger version

Name:	301FDE61-43C9-4A7A-B71B-7EBB62FE5225.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	43004  
mjeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 08:59 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Yes, I've seen those fencepost builds and have been quite enamored of them. While assembling the carrier itself would be an enjoyable project, the work involved in mounting them under the frame seems too daunting for me. Not only do I not look forward to removing coroplast panels simply to determine where it is safe to drill holes behind them, I seem to have developed an actual positional vertigo that is triggered by assuming the creeper position.

My current non-trivial project is to raise my dinette seatbacks 1.5" to accommodate the improved, thicker seatcushions I purchased without realizing these consequences. Indoors, woodwork, and well above ground level makes this an ideal challenge for me.

No need to be afraid of mounting a "fence post hose holder" under your trailer. No need to remove anything, drill any holes in the frame, weld or cuss or fidget at all....

Just get some appropriate length 1/4" bolts (I used 6" bolts) and 4 of these handy clamps. Thread the bolts into the bottom hole, slip the clamp over the I-beam lip and tighten the upper bolt. One on each side of the fence post and then do the other end the same way. Just use a piece of perforated metal bar under the fence post mod to support the assembly and keep the two 1/4" bolts aligned properly.

My "fence post mod" has been in place for almost 10 years, towed well over 40K miles and never loosened the first clamp....

Here's the clamps: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Adamax/5002818473
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	I BEAM CLAMP.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	43014   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0631.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	43015  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 09:06 AM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post

You could easily mount that fence post design to the top of the existing bumper with a couple of long band clamps rather than underneath. I can't lay underneath & look up anymore either. Easier to mount & easier to use, then use the original bumper for the flagpole, fishing rods or other long items.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 11:54 AM   #8
dutchmensport

Two campers ago this is how I did it.

I used zip ties to hold it on:

The "tray" that the hose rested on was a thinner PVC pipe I split in half. This worked very will because I could use the split pipe to rest the sewer hose on, on the ground and that kept it from getting pin-holes from rocks and such:

On my pop-up camper, I used a larger "tube" from Lowe's Home Improvement, but it to length and used it to store all my tent poles, fire pokers and hot dog sticks (anything metal, pointed, and long that I didn't want it to punch holes anywhere). This worked great. I used it on all 4 of my campers at one time or another. I still have it, tucked away in my shed. I have a smaller version on my fifth wheel now. You can do the same thing by attaching to your existing bumper (as suggested above). You can use bungie cords to hold it on. That's what I did:

Now, I just carry my sewer hoses this way in the back of the pick-up truck. It's much easier this way...

Because sometimes you just never know when you need to use it all:

Old 02-21-2023, 10:57 AM   #9
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post

Now, I just carry my sewer hoses this way in the back of the pick-up truck. It's much easier this way...

Because sometimes you just never know when you need to use it all:

I have a similar tote for my sewer stuff. I dislike the "Y" connector because there is no way to seperate the two sides. So when your letting one tank out, is partly going down to the sewer, but if the water is coming out too fast, sometime it can go back up the other side. So I got rid of my "y" and just swap back and forth when necessary.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:01 AM   #10
jvbutter01

5" PVC fence posts, best system right there.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:58 AM   #11
travelin texans

Great ideas for hose storage!
Although I'm a bit concerned that you're possibly towing something/anything with that hitch mounted to that flimsy bumper. That's not a good idea!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 09:32 AM   #12
rlh1957

The plastic fence post idea works attached under the highest point of frame underneath to avoid dragging.
I’ve seen one the attached between square bumper and back of rv.
5" vinyl fence post with caps as noted can store not only hoses, but connectors, elbows so they stay together snd not stored separately.

I have the telescoping tubes under mine that are nice for the hose storage, but connectors, elbows, etc. must be stored separate. I wish I’d know about the fence post idea before.

Hollow, thin bumpers can barely get a hose in and the hose ends are difficult to get in on some brands.
I’d store some other long item in the bumper.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel Super Duty
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 600AH BattleBorn Lithium Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus Inverter
SoftStartRV on both AC’s - Predator 3500 generator
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote