Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2023, 09:23 AM   #1
flyingjack

Hitch height

Happy New Year campers. 2022 HC 295RL; 34' long and am in the process of replacing stock 5th wheel hitch with a Reece Goosebox before our 4K mile tour of SE US. We have B&W flip over ball already in pickup. Installed Goosebox yesterday and distance between truck bed rail and bottom of HC nose is 5 1/2" and was 8" with 5th wheel. I did NOT measure stock hitch with a level when towing but with Goosebox and 5 1/2" clearance HC is slightly already nose high by about 2" measured at hitch- meaning if I drop nose of HC 2" HC will be level when towing. Directions say I need 7" clearance for Goosebox.

I'm assuming more is better in this case (especially gooseneck type) due to driving through drainage pans, road gutters etc when truck and trailer are on different planes.

Therefore; only fix I can see is adding 2" extended ball on B&W to get 7 1/2" bed rail clearance, PLUS somehow raising springs on HC.

I'm wondering if HC suspension will compensate for slight nose high attitude or will most of the weight be on trailing axle?

Any opinions/suggestions?
Thanks
Jack
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 11:54 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

We installed a lift kit on a GD Momentum last month for a customer who bought a 4X4 and put tall tires on it. It gave just about 2" lift at the axles, I am trying to remember what brand but IIRC the trailer had Lippert axles.

This is the one we used, I dont know what comes stock on a Montana so this will give you an idea.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...ol/RR23QX.html

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch