Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2022, 11:43 AM   #1
jkugler

Post TPMS and Backup Camera in one?

Howdy all!

I'm looking too add a backup camera (trailer pre-wired for Furion) and TPMS system before our long road trip this summer. Of course, I'd like to have as few displays cluttering my dash as possible.

Are there any 4+ tire TPMS systems out there whose displays would integrate with a Furion camera? That way, I'd have one display for two functions.

Another idea: I know some TPMS systems will do Apps (like https://store.lci1.com/tire-linc). Can you hook up your Furion backup camera to an Android phone or tablet? Then I could have TPMS, backup camera, and map system all in one device.

Thoughts or ideas?

Thanks!
jkugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:18 PM   #2
bobbecky

I don't have or use a camera, but the TPMS I use has an alarm, which if a tire drops pressure sets off an audible alarm, so that device would not really need to be in your sight area. Even your backup camera shouldn't be needed unless you are backing up, so that could be stowed until you need it. The only thing visible while traveling would be a GPS screen. Our truck does not have a display screen in the dash, and I find the few vehicles we have rented that have screens to be very distracting and I do my best to turn off those displays. Maybe you can minimize what devices you have mounted in your sight area to avoid unnecessary distractions.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:04 PM   #3
travelin texans

I mounted the TPMS monitor next to the driverside A pillar so it didn't block any site & easily seen for a quick glance. I wouldn't want one that you'd have open an app to check tire pressures/temps, if you wait for an alarm it's probably too late to pull over before it's completely flat.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 06:29 AM   #4
Camp CA

It would be nice to have camera and TPMS functions all displayed on one monitor but not sure that option exists. Instead I have a 7 inch Furion monitor mounted on the windshield displaying rear and side Furion camera views on my fifth wheel trailer and a separate TPMS monitor mounted on the windshield next to it.........works for me.
Old 12-09-2022, 09:41 AM   #5
dutchmensport

Are there any 4+ tire TPMS systems out there whose displays would integrate with a Furion camera?
Answer: None I know of.

That way, I'd have one display for two functions.
Comment: As much abuse as your camper will take hurling down the highways, bouncing and being tossed about like a sheet of paper in a hurricane, the more "gadgets" you have, the more likelihood, eventually, one of them is going to break for fail. If everything is integrated into one system and something goes wrong with the main display, you now have 2 systems that are unusable. (think about that)... you call though.

Can you hook up your Furion backup camera to an Android phone or tablet?
Answer: no. Unless Furrion has changed it's technology in the last few days, the Furrion back-up, or the Furrion observation cameras are not meant to integrate with your phone. Furrion has it designed so you have to purchase THEIR monitor. That's more money for them.

Then I could have TPMS, backup camera, and map system all in one device.
Comment: Not a good idea, for reason stated above.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:10 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

I know I'm old school but here's my thoughts. I despise "idiot lights" in vehicles. As my father thought me way back when that an idiot light tells you something happened and it's too late to prevent the failure. A gage MONITORS AND REPORTS what's going on in real time, allowing you to prevent failure.

Every vehicle that had idiot lights I installed gages to monitor the functions, i.e. oil pressure/temp, coolant Temps, volt meter, rpm, etc. Every boat I owned had a full compliment of gages. Every airplane I piloted had gages. Once you learn how to "scan" the gages your mind will know at a quick glance if it's in the correct range or if a change is occurring. Just my personal preferences.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 07:36 PM   #7
Kansas Gary

I use my back up camera more when i am driving then i ever use it just for backing up. I put the camera screen on my rear view mirror and use it just like my rear view mirror when the camper is not hitched up to my truck. Its out of the way and the rear view from the camera works just like your would think.
Kansas Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 09:23 AM   #8
DAMILLER_SR

I added both these items, for the TPMS I got the six Tire version so I could also monitor my spare tire on the trailer and the spare tire on the truck. It just didn't seem to cost that much more for a little bit of self assurance.
GUTA Solar Tire Pressure Monitoring System for RV - Tire Pressure Monitoring System with 6 External Sensor(0-188 PSI), RV TPMS, LCD Display, Sleep Mode, Real-time Monitor Pressure, Solar Power https://a.co/d/dZ0WzqL
This is not the furion brand, but it is what you are asking for.
Limited-time deal: RV Backup Camera Wireless HD 1080P with 7 Inch Touch Key DVR Monitor for RVs,Campers,Trailers,Trucks Adapter For Furrion-Pre-wired RVs High-Speed Rear View Observation IR Night Vision Yakry Y27 https://a.co/d/5Mbghmv
I'm not aware of anybody that combines these two systems together
DAMILLER_SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 03:21 PM   #9
Mr Mojo

Maybe I'm old school, but I would rather have my phone be just a phone. Not a monitor for anything else.
Old 12-22-2022, 05:20 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo View Post
Maybe I'm old school, but I would rather have my phone be just a phone. Not a monitor for anything else.
You'll really, REALLY appreciate that decision when you're trying to answer a phone call and get a TPMS "bing" or "bell ringing" at the same time, but aren't sure if it's an incoming text or the TPMS or ?????? and you spend the next 30 seconds or so, trying to "pull up the TPMS" to see if it's the tires or ?????

There's lots to be said about redundancy. With a Nav system, a TPMS and a phone, when the screen on one goes blank, you don't have to buy the other two at the next campground.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote