Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2022, 10:30 AM   #1
wegone

Big brother is watching.....

I just wanted to suggest that a picture is worth 1000 words.

Yesterday I got started looking at trailers, goodness, mine isn't even 6 months old yet, haha, but as I was surfing the INTERNET lots of other "links" related to trailers, etc, were popping up.
Some caught my eye, and I bit following them to who knows where.

Soon was I was on YouTube looking at trailer accident videos.

With so many cameras out there today, lots of innocent life is being captured.
If one studies these sad events, you can see a common thread, driver error.
Lots of big trailers, RV's and iffy TV.

Lots of them (accidents) were set up by "drift" from a maneuver and most likely oversteering.... however, one. a brand-new F-250 diesel SRW and HUGE 5th wheel looks to have just pushed right over the TV flipping the truck because it could not hold back the weight in a hurried stop (?)

Not sure if you've seen the big 5'er knock down the canopy of a fueling station from sheer ignorance to what he was pulling and needed to clear his load, OMG!

Anyway, having been in a fatal vehicle accident years ago (not my fault) let me share with you all it happens so damn fast, really, in the blink of an eye the domino falls, and the chain reaction of events is set in motion, you can't stop it, however what you can do is minimize your risk prior, by not pushing your luck because the budget just won't let you cover your arse....or lack of study and planning of your task.

Picking out and planning our shared love is more than finding that pretty and loaded TV, BTW, the less option in comforts is often a much better TV to task or picking out the longest trailer and best floor plan so we can "enjoy" more of our "second home".

OK, rant done, not being a jerk, honest, not trying to start any wars or flames, it's just very hard to un-forget some very sad experiences in our lives.

As you were.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 01:05 PM   #2
wegone

Here is one woman who shared her story of her event.

The night driving for me is a BIGGIE.
I can no longer tell of grade in unlit country or mountain roads without visuals.
My night vision is just not up to snuff anymore, I don't care what I am driving, and if you couple that with any weather like rain, fog, snow, forget it.

Not sure what she is referring to about hitting her trailer brakes first, my understanding and what I do is set mine before I venture out, slowly rolling and adjust my gain upward, or down, until I can fell some braking presence in my trailer only.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C0F1&FORM=VIRE
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 01:57 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I've been in fatal auto accidents (not driving) and non fatal. I've been in motorcycle wrecks and hung on a "hot" wire etc., told I wouldn't make it and others didn't. The one thing I've said more than once on this forum and in many, many meetings is; the ONLY time I knew what happened was AFTER the accident...AFTER I woke up. When IT happens there is absolutely zero you can do about it and all you can do is hope to heavens that whatever you did or didn't do wasn't enough to kill you or anyone else. You cannot "go back", "take it back", "undo", get do overs - it's OVER at that moment. All the actions to prevent one of those tragedies has to be taken BEFORE it happens. And, all those corners people cut trying to save this or that or saying "it'll be OK"....when "it" catches up you need to make sure your "book up there" has a clean slate. Now, my little rant is over on this soggy day after Thanksgiving - just in time to take puppy to the lake!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote