Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2021, 04:59 PM   #1
Roamrocker

2021 Raptor 415 Solar Prep

I purchased this trailer with the solar prep. Looking behind the panel I do not see black and red wires but actually some orange with with tracer and then all white wires bundled like the videos show. There is also 3 pairs not 2 as described. Has anyone completed the solar install on a 21 raptor? I also have a 4 wire connector instead of the RJ45 like someone else described. Thank you
Roamrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 09:56 AM   #2
ASEMechanic

Anyone ever resolve this?
ASEMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 10:40 AM   #3
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASEMechanic View Post
Anyone ever resolve this?

The wire coming from the roof port will be a single pair Black/Red. An Identical wire will be located in pass through area and goes to the battery bay.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...0&d=1628873656

(Ignore the green wires in my pic, those were for a portable panel I used in addition to the rooftop panel)

I'm not sure what the op was looking at, but it wasn't for the solar.
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:16 AM   #4
ASEMechanic

Found it on mine... Finally!

I don't know why Keystone can't do a better job of stubbing out the wiring for the solar, or at least better indicate where to look for it. There's nothing I could find in the documentation about where the wiring was. I even called Camper World trying to get info on where to look and what to look for, but they either didn't know or just didn't want to say in the hopes of just letting them handle it.

When I bought the camper in 2021, I asked Camper World to install a solar panel just so I could keep the batteries charged when not in use. I paid to have them install the solar panel and they never bothered to mention that there was no controller actually installed, which is really annoying. Given how the wiring was stuffed into the box, I'm actually surprised the solar panel wasn't damaged.

In any event, after 2 years of half-hearted attempts to locate the wiring, I decided to bite the bullet and tear apart the panels, eventually finding the wiring for the solar. In 2021 they were still pre-wiring for the Jaboni solar kits. Well, that's useless since you can't find ANYTHING for Jaboni anymore. I looked and looked, but couldn't find anything so I eventually just bought a Renogy MPPT controller and installed that instead. It's nice as it came with a Bluetooth controller instead of having to use a wired control panel like the Jaboni setup.

I included photos of where the wiring was eventually located. It is behind the middle panel, underneath the kitchen sink flooring. The wiring for the solar panel was working as expected putting out a solid 21 volts on a sunny day, but the second wire wasn't connected to anything. I don't know if it's meant for a second solar panel or if it was supposed to run to the batteries. I ultimately could not find where the second wires went to, so I just ran another pair of wires to the AC-DC converter that charges the house batteries from shore power, which happens to be in the same space under the kitchen sink.

I currently don't run the solar converter with anything hooked to the load output. I just use it as a battery charger, which would help keep the fridge running when towing or when not connected to shore power. However, I may find some use for the load side of things as needed. I'm not really set up to run completely solar, and I have the genny for power if I'm off grid and need to run A/C. Oother than that, the only thing I need to run continuously is the refrigerator which can run from the DC-AC inverter which the solar panel can supply more than enough power to keep running.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone down the road and saves them the frustration of locating the wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230527_143155.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	44045   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230527_143210.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	44046   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230527_143059.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	44048   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230528_130901_sm.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	44049  
ASEMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 03:49 AM   #5
Skillet173

I used a Renogy package with 2 200W panels. In my case the wires from the Jaboni port ran down into that box and then from there to battery bay. They were actually hooked up to the battery bank powering the roof port for some reason.
My solar is also used just to keep batteries charged running residential fridge. AC or micro use requires starting the genny.

Your wiring is neat compared to the mess I found behind my walls!

Got tired of "fighting stupid" (LEO) after 27 years and retired.
Active MX rider/racer, parent, sponsor, mechanic, transporter, and race fan for my son.
Skillet173 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raptor, solar