Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2021, 09:17 PM   #1
RNTFREE

New to full timing, need generator advice.

We have been full timing for almost a month now. Most of our time is spent in a space with full hookups but we do boondock as well. We purchased a predator 3500 inverter and it's just not cutting it. We are in northern Arizona so it's been hot out, so when we are running the generator it needs to run 24/7, and once the predator gets warm it goes into overload and everything has to be restarted. Looking into another generator so looking for some input on better ones. I like the price/ power of the champion inverters, looking at a 4500 watt now. What's a good generator that won't break the bank but can run 24/7 when needed? Any input would be great, thanks.
RNTFREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 02:09 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Go up yo the "UserCP" and add a signature with the year, make, and model of your trailer and tow vehicle. It will provide the basic info when asking questions.

Now for your question. Beside the above info what do you want to run? Everything? One air conditioner? Two a/c units? Coffee maker, toaster, blow dryer? To figure out watts use Ohms Law (V*A=W). So if you have a 30 amp trailer and want full power available then 30 amps x 120 volts = 3,600 watts BUT few generators can run at full load constantly. Most 3,600 watt generators are a hanfull to manhandle in and out of a truck bed, one large enough for a 50 amp service will take 2 capable people to move. Most folks opt for a matched pair of generators with the option to wire them together if needed. That way one can do the job without the A/C running and usr a lot less fuel.

Generayors have 2 ratings, a surge rating and a running rateing. Ignore the surge watts. Look at the running watts and at the percentage of load or time. Depending on generator you may need to go up to 20% higher capacity rating to run the full load constantly. So provide some more info and I'm sure dome folks that boondock will be along with their experiences.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 05:30 AM   #3
RNTFREE

Trailers a 2020 Hideout 28bhswe, single 13.5k ac. Though it would be nice to run everything, ac, coffee maker, microwave at once that's not 100% required. The biggest problem with the predator is once it's hot out it will go into overload and need to be restarted. Some days it will be just fine, others I'll come home to a hot trailer with the gen sitting there idling but not putting out power.

I'm assuming generators have a duty cycle rating also, I just haven't found it in the specs yet for the ones I'm looking at. When we are running on the generator, generally the ac will run all day then be able to cycle once the sun goes down, so a generator needs to be able to run 24/7 without worrying if I'm going to come home to a hot trailer and panting dogs.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:40 AM   #4
dutchmensport

Not the cheapest at all, but it can and does run for countless hours: Cummings Onan P4500i Inverter Generator. Has full output of 37 amps, so will handle everything in your camper which sounds like 30 before the main breaker inside the camper would trip. The P4500i will run 16-18 hours on 3.4 gallons of gas, depending on the load. I have 2 of them and run them in parallel for full 50 amp service. With power management and running only 1 AC at a time, I can function with 1 of these generators with an output of 37 amps on my 50 amp camper.

Once the generator maxes out on AMPS, it simply trips and shut down the output. But the generator will keep running. Turn something off in the camper, and hit the reset on the generator and just keep going.

Again, these are great generators, but not cheap.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:43 AM   #5
notanlines

Not a chance those dogs need to have any risk that the air goes out. If those dogs are to be left there all day, you seriously need a temperature warning system to prevent that from happening. You owe those dogs that much.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:06 AM   #6
dutchmensport

I missed that comment about the dogs. Oh my ... no, no, no. You never want to leave the dogs inside the camper if you are not there. Anything can happen to cause the power to go out and these campers become heat death traps within a short while. It might be a camper, and it might take a bit longer, but the results will be identical to leaving your kids or pets in an enclosed car in the sun with no engine running. And just like humans, the older the dog, the less tolerant to heat they become too.

If our "away" time from the camper is ever more than 30 minutes, we always take the dogs with us. If you are working full time and everyone has to leave the camper all day, then please make different arrangements for the dogs.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:06 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

In anjother post he states he has 3 children so there's the concern. With only weeks of summer remaining it seems to me the logical solution would be to get a full hook up site. The cost of the generator, fuel for the generator, fuel to tow the trailer with 454 big block every few days for dumping tanks and filling water has got to be mounting. When temperatures moderate a bit then you could return to boondocking.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:14 AM   #8
B-O-B'03

Different scenario, but, during the snowmagedon event we had here in Texas in February I back-fed my 7 year old Champion 2800/3100 generator into the house and it ran continuously for 4 days. It was pretty cold out, so not the same as the Arizona heat in the summer.

I drug it out of the shed, put fresh fuel in it and it started on the second pull. After that, when shutting it down for re-fueling, it started on the first pull. We had power available to every outlet and light fixture in the house, including the 30 amp outlet the camper was plugged into. There was enough power to keep 2 refrigerators, the deep freeze, TV, internet, phones and one furnace running + the converter and mini-fridge in the RV (which I forgot was running).

The generator has around 200 run hours on it and the only maintenance has been oil changes, a spark plug and air filter.

I have no idea what, if any, difference the heat will make, but I am a fan of the Champion product.

-Brian
Old 07-17-2021, 07:17 AM   #9
travelin texans

I understand the joy of boondocking, but NOT in Arizona this time of year with a single 13.5 a/c??? Wait til winter, being from Page that should be a known fact.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:49 AM   #10
RNTFREE

We are looking at some monitors for when we do need to leave the dogs. When we do both need to be gone they are checked on regularly, we don't leave them the entire day unchecked.

We aren't boondocking in the Arizona summer for the fun of it. We had a 4 bed house until about a month ago. The ac failed when the heat hit and the landlord refused to fix it right, kicked us out instead. With other rentals nearly non existent our trailer was our only option. Long term full hookup spaces are hard to come by as well so we need to have the option of boondocking as well, even if it's 110+ out.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:54 AM   #11
travelin texans

Personally if you do find a more suitable generator, even double the size, with a single 13.5k a/c running non stop 24/7 in 100+ degree Arizona summer you'll ever get it to a comfortable temperature inside for the dogs, the kids or you.
Your money would be better spent adding a window a/c or one of the portables that vent out a window to help with the cooling rather than on more generator.
Run the fridge/water heater on gas & shut off the a/c if needing the microwave or a hair dryer.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:55 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

JMHO, but at this point I would be looking for a larger gen that will handle the load easier. You may even want to look at 5000+ watts and a portable AC to supplement the Roof AC.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:11 AM   #13
jim1

hey B-O-B'03 Was just wondering what connection you used to BACK FEED the entire house.
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:48 AM   #14
Blackrock

I played this game a couple of years ago up in Heber-Overgaard Arizona. My wifes brother who lives there was having health issues and she wanted to be close by.
We set up out of town in the NF and I did have generator enough to run everything just the bother of keeping it fueled up and carrying gas from town every other day got to be a PITA. So we got a site at a RV Resort for $550 a month plus utilitys and never had a problem the rest of the time we were up there.
I don't know what Black Bart's rates are but we have stayed there a couple of times when passing through. There are quite a few full timers in that park.

Bob n Judy n Nanook n Biscuit n Elsa
2016 Ram 1500 - 2016 Laredo 265SRK
Running on the ragged edge of respectability
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:54 AM   #15
notanlines

I kind of like Danny's suggestion "Your money would be better spent adding a window a/c"
Certainly not impossible to do by any means.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 07-17-2021, 10:26 AM   #16
GilaElkHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Welcome to the forum. Go up yo the "UserCP" and add a signature with the tear, make, and model of your trailer and yow vehicle. It will provide the basic info when asking questions.

Now for your question. Beside the above info what do you want to run? Everything? One air conditioner? Two a/c units? Coffee maker, toaster, blow dryer? To figure out watts use Ohms Law (V*A=W). So if you have a 30 amp trailer and want full power available then 30 amps x 120 volts = 3,600 watts BUT few generators can run at full load constantly. Most 3,600 watt generators are a hanful to manhandle in and out of a truck bed, one large enough for a 50 amp service will take 2 capable people to move. Most folks opt for a match pair of generators with the option to wire them togethernif needed. That way one can do the job without ghe A/C running and usr a lot less fuel.

Generayors have 2 ratings, a surge rating and a running rateing. Ignore the surge watts. Look at the running watts and at the percentage of load or time. Depending on generator you may need to go up to 20% higher capacity rating to run the full load constantly. So provide some more info and I'm sure dome folks thst boonfock will be along with gheir experiences.

I sure wish people would use spell check and/or proof read their entry before posting!!!
2019 High Country 310RE
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Sailun S637 tires
GilaElkHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:31 AM   #17
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
hey B-O-B'03 Was just wondering what connection you used to BACK FEED the entire house.
I have those same concerns. Done improperly it is very dangerous.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:21 PM   #18
notanlines

Gila, "dome folks thst boonfock" is today's phrase that got my DW and I laughing. I'm not making this up. She said, laughing, that I was too old for 'boonfocking,' and I told her that its because I wasn't certified 'dome folks.'
C'mon, man, when trying to post from a small keyboard on an iPhone is a bear, no matter who you are. Marshall probably has fat little fingers and the damn keyboard gets smaller every day!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 07-17-2021, 02:02 PM   #19
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Gila, "dome folks thst boonfock" is today's phrase that got my DW and I laughing. I'm not making this up. She said, laughing, that I was too old for 'boonfocking,' and I told her that its because I wasn't certified 'dome folks.'
C'mon, man, when trying to post from a small keyboard on an iPhone is a bear, no matter who you are. Marshall probably has fat little fingers and the damn keyboard gets smaller every day!
“boonfocking” is my new favorite word…some people just stumble into greatness ( Marshall)
Old 07-17-2021, 03:48 PM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Now that we have a new term ... I corrected the numerous errors in that post. I apologize for that one! I had surgery on my foot a few days ago and was up all night despite the pain killers. looks like the only thing the the pills killed were the brain cells that were operating my big fat fingers on my tablet!

Tags
generator