Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
Cheryl

Generators

How does one connect a generator to the trailer? We have 2 deep cucle batteries. We are just deciding between solar and a generator. In Jasper right now for 6 nights without any electricity. Will have to see how long they last? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:51 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If your trailer is 30A then you get a generator with a 30A socket and possibly the adapter for using the RV 30A cord in a 30A twist lock socket. Another option is to use the 12V output from the gen and hook it up directly to the batteries. If you do this put the Positive on one battery and the negative on the other battery. This assumes that the trailer leads are hooked up that way.

If your trailer is 50A cord then use a 50/30 dog bone to the gen.

Which is better? Can't tell you that.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:46 PM   #3
Cheryl

Sounds like the 30A is simpler to connect. Any recommendations for generator brands?

Old 07-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Lots of threads here on that subject. Honda is Quiet as is Yamaha. Lots of folks here like champion. I have a Kipor. I would suggest you get an inverter(sine wave) gen for "cleaner" power.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #5
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
Any recommendations for generator brands?
Budget? :-)
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #6
Cheryl

Lol! Well sometimes you get what you pay for but not really needing top of the line as I think I'll be trying to camp mostly with electric. Got about 5 days with the 2-6 volt batteries.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:47 PM   #7
Cheryl

Another question; there is a "solar prep" outlet at the front of the trailer. Assuming you could get a small solar panel and just plug it in? Does this keep batteries topped up?

Old 07-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #8
RLM5150

What do you want the generator to do? Are you wanting to keep your batteries topped off? Do you want to run 120V to your outlets for a TV? Do you want to run the AC? Those questions need to be addressed to properly size the generator. If your needs are light, the higher priced models may be overkill. Or maybe not, depending on your expectations.
RLM5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:59 PM   #9
Cheryl

Not for the 120 V outlets but A/C might be nice. Mostly to keep the batteries topped up.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:00 PM   #10
Cheryl

That's why I was wondering if a small plug in solar panel might work? The people at the site beside us used one for part of the day. Unfortunately they left before we had a chance to talk with them.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:10 PM   #11
RLM5150

If AC is not a requirement, then solar would be a great option.

You will need at least a 3100 watt generator to run the AC (most likely). I got a great deal on a Champion 3100 this Spring and have been happy with it. I didn't need the AC during our 2 week trip in June so the generator was overkill. I'm looking into solar for maintaining the batteries on future trips where AC is not needed.
RLM5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:16 PM   #12
Cheryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLM5150 View Post
If AC is not a requirement, then solar would be a great option.

You will need at least a 3100 watt generator to run the AC (most likely). I got a great deal on a Champion 3100 this Spring and have been happy with it. I didn't need the AC during our 2 week trip in June so the generator was overkill. I'm looking into solar for maintaining the batteries on future trips where AC is not needed.
Thanks, perhaps solar is the way to go for now. It cools nicely in the evenings in western Canada.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:35 PM   #13
dcg9381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
Another question; there is a "solar prep" outlet at the front of the trailer. Assuming you could get a small solar panel and just plug it in? Does this keep batteries topped up?
I haven't tried this, but in theory it will work, yes. It'd be double "regulated" - once at the generator and once at the solar controller. Many generators can also direct DC charge batteries.

IF you're going to run them though, might as well charge at the converter, which can put down a lot of amps.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:49 PM   #14
Cheryl

Well, thinking of just using the plug in solar. Assuming it's connected to the batteries?

Old 07-14-2017, 02:14 PM   #15
Canonman

We bought a 3k watt generator so we could run the A/C. Never used it for that. The generator would be running full speed all day and honestly we just didn't find ourselves at the TT during the day. When we planned on staying in the desert during summer months we just planned on a campground with hookups. We've used the generator a lot to keep the batteries charged. Especially during the spring and fall trips when the furnace fan runs during the night. Topping off the batteries usually took 2 hours or less and we really didn't skimp on our usage.
That said, we are now planning on a 100w portable solar unit to recharge the batteries during the day. No issues with noise or any generator restrictions with solar. We'll keep the generator handy just in case we need to use the microwave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4788.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	13363   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0009 (1).jpg
Views:	135
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	13364  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:29 PM   #16
Cheryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
We bought a 3k watt generator so we could run the A/C. Never used it for that. The generator would be running full speed all day and honestly we just didn't find ourselves at the TT during the day. When we planned on staying in the desert during summer months we just planned on a campground with hookups. We've used the generator a lot to keep the batteries charged. Especially during the spring and fall trips when the furnace fan runs during the night. Topping off the batteries usually took 2 hours or less and we really didn't skimp on our usage.
That said, we are now planning on a 100w portable solar unit to recharge the batteries during the day. No issues with noise or any generator restrictions with solar. We'll keep the generator handy just in case we need to use the microwave[emoji38]
Thanks for the info. For us, we use the trailer mostly for weekends and holidays and can do without the A/C microwave and bring out the wool blankets for early spring and late fall. I like the provincial/national parks that offer power if you book early. It might be an idea to look into solar for now as we are mostly looking to top up the batteries for if we don't have power. I'm thinking the plug in solar type?

Old 07-14-2017, 02:56 PM   #17
Canonman

If we were to do it over knowing what we know now, I'd get the portable solar first ($300) and start looking for a good deal a small inverter type generator either new or gently used for those times when it's needed. A 100w suitcase type portable will do a nice job keeping the batteries charged with about 5 hours of sun and give you some time to get the "good deal" on the generator.
End of season sale or someone upgrading etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_1451.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	362.9 KB
ID:	13365  
Old 07-14-2017, 03:31 PM   #18
Cheryl

Quote:
If we were to do it over knowing what we know now, I'd get the portable solar first ($300) and start looking for a good deal a small inverter type generator either new or gently used for those times when it's needed. A 100w suitcase type portable will do a nice job keeping the batteries charged with about 5 hours of sun and give you some time to get the "good deal" on the generator.
End of season sale or someone upgrading etc.
Thanks and the photos are lovely! Are those places you've visited?

Old 07-14-2017, 04:07 PM   #19
Canonman

Thank you
They are. That's why we like the RV. Gets us closer to the scenery. Do you shoot?
Since the best light is morning or evening we miss out on the usual "generator hours" in some National Park or Forest Service campgrounds. Hence, the move to solar
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MG_1250.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	13366  
Old 07-14-2017, 07:50 PM   #20
Cheryl

Quote:
Thank you
They are. That's why we like the RV. Gets us closer to the scenery. Do you shoot?
Since the best light is morning or evening we miss out on the usual "generator hours" in some National Park or Forest Service campgrounds. Hence, the move to solar
Just from a point and shoot camera. We also have really been appreciating living closer to nature. It is so beautiful.

Tags
generator