Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2023, 09:35 AM   #21
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppin_fresh View Post
Just FYI, you wont damage the tank by having the valve closed while using the tank flush.

The reason the tank flusher warns to keep the valve open is because they are afraid people will get distracted, over fill the tank via the flusher, and end up with black water coming up through the toilet (or out the roof vent!).

I always close mine so that the flusher fills the tank some so I have an extra volume of water to help move waste out. I do this procedure a couple times typically. When I do it though, I NEVER wander away or do other tasks and I keep a close eye on the panel to monitor the tank level.
A few comments about the above quote. [you won’t damage the tank by having the valve closed while using the tank flush.] I shudder when I see this posted as a comment. It’s been a long time (perhaps a year or two) since I remember anyone having posted their horror story of the black tank rupturing from an unattended drain valve left closed. BUT there have been many over the years. A toilet not only keeps a small amount of water residing in the bowl after a flush, but also will not relieve the over filling from its underside when a 5+ gallon per minute influx is flowing into the black tank. Instead, the water/effluent mixture will be directed to the vent pipe. Notice this is called a vent pipe not a relief pipe. I’ll forego the detailed physics of how a column of liquid can exert enormous pressure to the top of the black tank. Suffice it to say that between the moment liquid starts to enter the vent pipe (zero pounds lift) and a few seconds later as it reaches the opening on the roof, an approximate 4,000 lbs of lifting force will be exerted to the tank’s top. While the newer roto-casted current black tanks MAY survive the overfilling to the point where effluent may actually make it to the open roof vent, I’ve not heard of, or seen any data that that claims the new mfg process can withstand that happening. Undoubtedly the older style (upper/lower halves glued together) will split open, often with a bang. Personally, I would not use the tank indicator to signal when to open the flush valve. Black tank indicators are notorious for being inaccurate. Using an inline flow meter or setting of a timer to remind to open the drain valve, would be safer. Also remember, that as the tank becomes mostly full, the rinser head becomes buried and stops spraying the tank walls. It’s safer and more useful to flush and dump several times than try to entirely fill and then dump.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 11:35 AM   #22
LHaven

Huh, I've never seen them with screw heads before. For the typical undercarriage handles with the female-threaded shaft, the standard Valterra handles available in practically every camping store come in black and silver, typically at under $2 each.
Old 05-27-2023, 12:53 PM   #23
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Huh, I've never seen them with screw heads before. For the typical undercarriage handles with the female-threaded shaft, the standard Valterra handles available in practically every camping store come in black and silver, typically at under $2 each.
You do have an eye for detail!! Those are Bristol valves that Keystone used on this trailer. The 4 bolt pattern spread on the blade body, is slightly further apart than the Valterras, making them non interchangeable. I don’t know why I never noticed before, you live in Wickenburg, AZ. We have always like doing scenic ATV rides in that area, especially box canyon. Miles of sand washes often lead to old stage coach trails, places where ambushes occurred and head stones. Wickenburg has avoided the fate of decline that many of the old mining towns in that part of AZ suffered. The cross roads of highways 60, 89, and 93 have help make it a Mecca for motor cyclists, equestrian activity, and retirement. Fall, winter and spring are wonderful time to visit. I enjoy watching the turkey vultures soaring over the town
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank