Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2023, 06:07 AM   #1
Opa 1

Black streak removal

We have now finished our first full year of RVing we had many learnings (a lot of thanks to y’all) full of relaxing, exploring and fun. I just finished washing our 5er and noticed a lot of black streaks my wash & wax soap did not even touch these streaks.

I appreciate any ideas on how to remove these. I heard of using magic eraser but I am afraid it would damage the gel coat
Opa 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 07:41 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

There are several products available from the RV supply side. WalMart sells the CAMCO Black Streak Remover/Cleaner. It is somewhat effective, at least for me.

What I find works best is the cheapest spray cleaner I've ever found. Go to Dollar Tree and buy a spray bottle of "Awesome Spray Cleaner".. Used to be $1, but now is $1.25. Spray it on, wipe it off and the black streaks are gone.

One negative with using this is that it also takes ALL of the wax, protective coating, so you'll need to wash and wax the trailer after use.

The best way to "remove black streaks" is simply not to get them in the first place. Nearly all black streaks originate on the roof or on the sealant at the top of vent covers, clearance lights, or other protrusions mounted to the FILON siding. Keep those areas clean and the "organic material" won't drip off them and stain the FILON.... Then, keeping a good coat of wax or finish sealer on the trailer helps make the FILON slick enough that nothing sticks to it....

Clean it this time, then keep the roof clean and most of the black streaks will not reappear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AWESOME CLEANER.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	43950  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 09:15 AM   #3
Opa 1

Thank you sounds like good advice. I will get some of this cleaner