Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2023, 07:15 PM   #1
adeakins

Keystone Montana baggage door hinges

I have a 2018 Montana 3791. We are full timers so this larger configuration with abundant storage was warranted. The rear storage compartment uses a very large and heavy door. When fully opened, the door is raised vertically up against the body and held there by two magnetic bumpers. All of the weight of the door rests on a single large horizontal hinge. I’ve heard it called a “C” hinge or a “hurricane” hinge … I’m not sure what the formal name for it is. This hinge is - in varying lengths - on all of the other compartments as well. Apparently the weight of the rear door has stressed the hinge on one side so that I cannot fully close the door. The hinge has “deformed “ on that side. That said, the door, itself, is fine as is the frame for the door. I can see how to remove the hinge from both door and frame, but I have not been able to source a replacement hinge. Thought I found one at RecPro, but it was specifically for a tear-drop trailer. The cost and effort (eg; painting and replacing latches, etc) seem unreasonable versus just replacing the hinge - if one could be found. Currently, I’m looking around for a junked door I can harvest a hinge from. But, maybe I’m missing something here, ie; is there some particular reason the hinge cannot or should not be replaced thus requiring an otherwise unnecessary replacement door and frame? I’m looking for help in understanding why the seemingly simple solution is so hard to apply.
adeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 07:22 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I wonder if you could simply “reshape” the affected side.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 07:33 PM   #3
adeakins

I’m not sure quite how to do that except to take it off and play with it. If I can’t find a replacement, I will certainly attempt to do that before I spend the not inconsiderable amount of time and money to replace the whole door assembly. I would also like to understand why it failed like it did and if there is anything I can do to prevent the other eight compartment doors from going down this same path.
adeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 07:41 PM   #4
GaryUT

If the profile of the rec pro hinge is the same as what is on your trailer there is no reason you couldn't cut it to length and use it. This link shows several different profiles and offsets of hinges on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hurrican+...l_9ty76obzx5_e

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 02:35 AM   #5
Mikendebbie

I agree with ChuckS. I would work to reshape the hinge before seeking a replacement. At each end if the hinge there is a plastic plug that acts as a stop to keep the door captive and centered in the hinge extrusion. Each plug has a small screw anchoring the plug to the extrusion. Remove the screw and plug on the left side and try to slide the door out of the hinge (see screen shot below). If the hinge is bent or malformed preventing the door from sliding off - get a small piece of lumber (2x4 or whatever you can find) and try to “beat” the bend back to proper alignment so you can slide the door off. My thought is that correcting bends in both the door extrusion and/or the frame extrusion will be easier if you can separate the two.

This rear door is big - but there are 3 baggage doors on my rig that look to be about the same size, same hinge. I have not had issues with the weight of the door. I doubt weight caused this problem. If weight was the issue then there would be thousands of doors on Keystone products experiencing the same issue. Something else (an obstruction?) caused your door to to open or close (wrench) slightly out of alignment putting a force on the extrusion to bend it. You need to figure out how to bend it back to proper shape - then treat it like a baby and talk sweet to it everytime you use the door.

Years ago the tailgate on my truck came unlatched when I hit a pothole while turning and damaged a front compartment door on my Alpenlite fifth wheel. It was a long and frustrating process trying to find a replacement since Western RV (who made Alpenlite) had gone out of business the previous year. I would try to fix this hinge rather than jumping off into the deep dark hole of finding replacements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1537.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	43912  
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone, montana