Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2023, 06:06 PM   #61
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
i wonder if you will end up paying higher property/ homeowner insurance if you have an ev in the garage? …this was in the news today https://www.foxbusiness.com/energy/f...50s-catch-fire
Well, after an incident last week I can tell you that I have a new found dislike for anything containing a lithium battery. We had an issue with one of our work phones where the apps would work sometimes and not other times. We originally attributed this to the app or the service area. But after contacting our companies IT division they told us to remove the battery and inspect it as rebooting had made no difference. Taking the back of the phone off was no problem but the battery itself was stuck in the phone so I used my pocketknife to pry it out right there in the truck sleeper at the table. It popped right out alright, but undoubtedly in the process of prying it, I knicked the thin metal covering on the case of the battery. As soon as it landed on the table it started spewing a black ash and then flames were shooting out of it. This happened incredibly fast and, fortunately, we have a rug on the floor there in the sleeper and I guess I scraped it onto that rug (not really sure as it happened so fast but I sustained no burns) and was able to throw it and the rug out the door of the truck that my wife was sitting at. All this happened while the IT guy was on the speaker phone and I unleashed a flurry of very un-Christian like expletives during the encounter which lasted mere seconds. The IT guy was freaking out, as was myself and my wife. Once we determined that the truck wasn't going to burn down and we had no injuries the IT guy said he had experienced these batteries swelling once they were a couple of years old and that he had also had to use a screwdriver to remove several of them himself. He did state that this practice would no longer be employed and made a note that in the future a plastic knife would be the tool of choice to remove them.

It was an extremely hot fire with ashes melting into the plastic table top in the truck. Some actually fell onto a blanket on the bed leaving black melted spots in the fabric. We could have easily lost a $200K Peterbilt had things gone sideways in the hastily contrived removal of this incendiary device.

So, with this knowledge burned into my brain (almost literally) I can certainly imagine the outcome of a major crash in an EV and let me tell you, I will walk before I'll get in one of those things.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 07:08 PM   #62
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Well, after an incident last week I can tell you that I have a new found dislike for anything containing a lithium battery. We had an issue with one of our work phones where the apps would work sometimes and not other times. We originally attributed this to the app or the service area. But after contacting our companies IT division they told us to remove the battery and inspect it as rebooting had made no difference. Taking the back of the phone off was no problem but the battery itself was stuck in the phone so I used my pocketknife to pry it out right there in the truck sleeper at the table. It popped right out alright, but undoubtedly in the process of prying it, I knicked the thin metal covering on the case of the battery. As soon as it landed on the table it started spewing a black ash and then flames were shooting out of it. This happened incredibly fast and, fortunately , we have a rug on the floor there in the sleeper and I guess I scraped it onto that rug (not really sure as it happened so fast but I sustained no burns) and was able to throw it and the rug out the door of the truck that my wife was sitting at. All this happened while the IT guy was on the speaker phone and I unleashed a flurry of very un-Christian like expletives during the encounter which lasted mere seconds. The IT guy was freaking out, as was myself and my wife. Once we determined that the truck wasn't going to burn down and we had no injuries the IT guy said he had experienced these batteries swelling once they were a couple of years old and that he had also had to use a screwdriver to remove several of them himself. He did state that this practice would no longer be employed and made a note that in the future a plastic knife would be to tool of choice to remove them.

It was an extremely hot fire with ashes melting into the plastic table top in the truck. Some actually fell onto a blanket on the bed leaving black melted spots in the fabric. We could have easily lost a $200K Peterbilt had things gone sideways in the hastily contrived removal of this incendiary device.

So, with this knowledge burned into my brain (almost literally) I can certainly imagine the outcome of a major crash in an EV and let me tell you, I will walk before I'll get in one of those things.

Now Jeff come on. You know that's an overreaction and those batteries are the blessing we've all been told we needed....
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 07:35 PM   #63
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Now Jeff come on. You know that's an overreaction and those batteries are the blessing we've all been told we needed....
This is a VERY accurate depiction of what we experienced.....

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

2010 FZ 405

Old 05-04-2023, 07:53 PM   #64
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
Well, after an incident last week I can tell you that I have a new found dislike for anything containing a lithium battery. We had an issue with one of our work phones where the apps would work sometimes and not other times. We originally attributed this to the app or the service area. But after contacting our companies IT division they told us to remove the battery and inspect it as rebooting had made no difference. Taking the back of the phone off was no problem but the battery itself was stuck in the phone so I used my pocketknife to pry it out right there in the truck sleeper at the table. It popped right out alright, but undoubtedly in the process of prying it, I knicked the thin metal covering on the case of the battery. As soon as it landed on the table it started spewing a black ash and then flames were shooting out of it. This happened incredibly fast and, fortunately, we have a rug on the floor there in the sleeper and I guess I scraped it onto that rug (not really sure as it happened so fast but I sustained no burns) and was able to throw it and the rug out the door of the truck that my wife was sitting at. All this happened while the IT guy was on the speaker phone and I unleashed a flurry of very un-Christian like expletives during the encounter which lasted mere seconds. The IT guy was freaking out, as was myself and my wife. Once we determined that the truck wasn't going to burn down and we had no injuries the IT guy said he had experienced these batteries swelling once they were a couple of years old and that he had also had to use a screwdriver to remove several of them himself. He did state that this practice would no longer be employed and made a note that in the future a plastic knife would be the tool of choice to remove them.

Wow! Well, after reading this, I can understand why my DH banned my computer from the house after I showed him how it wasn’t sitting flat on the table anymore. I had thought it was kind of funny/ interesting. He was not amused. We took the back off, and saw what is in the photo. The “poofy” things are the lithium batteries that aren’t supposed to be poofy. It spent the night outside and went down to the Apple Store the next day to be fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70BCC38E-6056-429B-913B-71980C3F6F54.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	43766  

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 08:29 PM   #65
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
We took the back off, and saw what is in the photo. The “poofy” things are the lithium batteries that aren’t supposed to be poofy. It spent the night outside and went down to the Apple Store the next day to be fixed.
I'm an Apple certified repair tech. Apple actually glues these batteries into the shell, and replaces the batteries by replacing the entire shell (moving all your electronics, board by board, into a new case), making the prices godawful expensive. I found a company that offers replacement batteries and a process to deglue the old ones (using plastic tools). After all the literature from Apple about how tetchy these little mini-bombs were, I was real apprehensive, but I found it to be easy and low-stress, so I use it now when Apple quotes a client an unreasonable figure for the repair, especially for older machines that they would rather see you replace (I've seen as high as $1,400)!
Old 05-05-2023, 03:48 AM   #66
wiredgeorge

On an episode of the TV show Fire Country, in the location of a wildfire, an EV caught fire and the firefighters struggled to control the battery on fire once it ignited. They used a bunch of foam but it continued to reignite. Not sure how realistic this scenario was but I was a volunteer firefighter for 12 years and while a fuel tank blowing up is dramatic, extinguishing the vehicle after was not particularly difficult. Lots of cars stolen for a joy ride were dumped on remote rural roads in our area of operation and set on fire to hide evidence I guess.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 03:57 AM   #67
jasin1

I keep my ebike battery’s in fireproof specific bags figure it’s better then nothing…some of the ebike forums suggest storing in a large clay flower pot …it does concern me about how many everyday products have lithium batteries …from cell phones to weed eaters.

As far as Batteries in EVs that will be the next big government mandate…2030 building code will require all new residential garages to be built with the same fire rating as a battleship ammunition magazine
Old 05-05-2023, 04:07 AM   #68
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I keep my ebike battery’s in fireproof specific bags figure it’s better then nothing…some of the ebike forums suggest storing in a large clay flower pot …it does concern me about how many everyday products have lithium batteries …from cell phones to weed eaters.

As far as Batteries in EVs that will be the next big government mandate…2030 building code will require all new residential garages to be built with the same fire rating as a battleship ammunition magazine
And then once all the EV's are totally in vogue (with the left's blessing), the insurance companies will all raise both your homeowners and auto insurance rates through the roof. If they don't outright cancel you. All they need is an excuse.....

2010 FZ 405

Old 05-05-2023, 07:06 AM   #69
JRTJH
Site Team

And to think: what about all us "old farts" with a lithium battery literally "stuck in each ear" ????? I'm going back to my old ones until my next audiology appointment !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 02:22 PM   #70
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I'm an Apple certified repair tech. Apple actually glues these batteries into the shell, and replaces the batteries by replacing the entire shell (moving all your electronics, board by board, into a new case), making the prices godawful expensive. I found a company that offers replacement batteries and a process to deglue the old ones (using plastic tools). After all the literature from Apple about how tetchy these little mini-bombs were, I was real apprehensive, but I found it to be easy and low-stress, so I use it now when Apple quotes a client an unreasonable figure for the repair, especially for older machines that they would rather see you replace (I've seen as high as $1,400)!
It cost me $250, luckily. It is a MacBook Pro from 2017 or so. Apple did replace the entire bottom including keyboard because the batteries are glued in. I also saw where OWC has the batteries alone to purchase for replacing. Since I didn’t want to take on that task, I was mostly willing to pay the $250. Luckily it only took them Friday to Monday to do the repair - it’s my work computer and I need AutoCAD for work.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote