Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2023, 06:53 PM   #1
markdol1

best way

Hi folks .Heading to gatlinburg/smokies and want to know if comming down from pa to I- 81 is a lot of climbing hills in VA and NC or should i do I-85 to I-40 through ashville NC.
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 11:14 PM   #2
fjr vfr

Coming down I95 and catching I85 after Richmond is less climbing and descending. Oh, and btw I40 has Black Mountain as well as some other climbs in the Ashville area.
I81 is a lot of ups and downs, but is more direct.
How much are you bothered by hills, up and down?
So do you want to avoid hills very much or get there quicker and more direct?
All and all, I'd take I81. Even though it has more climbs and descents the hills around Ashville are steeper. And you'd be spending more time traveling.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 11:56 PM   #3
markdol1

i was going to go swing west of dc and get 66 to 81,shorter is better dont want to do a bunch of 500 to 1000 ft climbs.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:15 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdol1 View Post
Hi folks .Heading to gatlinburg/smokies and want to know if comming down from pa to I- 81 is a lot of climbing hills in VA and NC or should i do I-85 to I-40 through ashville NC.
If you're in the DELCO area of PA then I'd recommend I81. Through VA it runs down the valley between two mountain ranges. Elevation is not an issue if a road is graded gently and with standard shoulders. I would avoid I95 as it can be a grueling drive pretty much from north of Boston to south of Richmond. Not only traffic challenges but constant construction and some rough sections of pavement. Enjoy your trip.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 07:17 AM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdol1 View Post
Not trying to be a smart a## or the weight police, but if you have a sufficient tow vehicle the hills shouldn't affect your towability but will likely slow you down. Use the tow/haul mode of the vehicle, this helps with both up & down. Down shift coming down & going up if needed.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 07:20 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

The OP has a Ram dually w/Cummins. I81 doesn't have a bunch of steep grades as has been pointed out and if my dim memory serves there are right hand slow-truck lanes on the grades.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 11:36 AM   #7
dutchmensport

I've driven I-40 so many times over my lifetime, I've lost complete count. All I know is, it's a fantastic drive every time I do it, Summer or Winter, clear roads or snow on the ground, it's amazing every time. The last time I made that journey with the camper was September 2, 2022. It was the second time for my little dog going through those tunnels. She freaked out!

What is important is to stay in the right hand lane and don't budge. Don't go faster than the posted speed limit and when going down hill, maintain your speed about 5 mph slower than the posted speed. Don't be intimated by the semi-trucks, just hold your speed, maintain control always, use your exhaust brake or use down shift to a lower gear going down hill and you'll do just fine.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:12 PM   #8
markdol1

Thanks everybody .ill go down 81 . figured it ran the foothills but wasnt shure if most of it was steep climbs, slower going and worse fuel mileage.
Old 04-20-2023, 08:01 AM   #9
Mr Mojo

I leave NJ headed west on PA Turnpike to Carlisle and pick up I-81 south from there and ride it all the way down to I-40.