Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2023, 02:58 PM   #1
jasin1

Slide out darco tearing

Should this be covered under the 3 year structural warranty?
or can i repair it myself with less headaches….kitchen slide just started this year
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ED24E596-7328-4659-BDBE-EB09E9E57306.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	43512   Click image for larger version

Name:	D00964C0-37FB-4C1C-8657-44DE199795EC.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	43513   Click image for larger version

Name:	EA245D26-B7F5-4FFD-9E4B-8B6EBD87A984.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	43514  
Old 04-13-2023, 03:48 PM   #2
ChuckS

You could try warranty repair but I will bet they say “fair wear and tear item” and deny the fix

Images of before and after with my repair.. This is a hydraulic slide but I see no reason that it would not also work for Schwintek in wall electric slide that rolls on rollers on the bottom

The hydraulic slide rolls across and outer and inner wear bar and the Darco is supposed to “glide” over it.

I am on my third season of use with this repair and the last two pics show the repair is solid and looks good.

I have also included a YouTube video of this repair process and show the gear pack teeth meshing perfectly with this repair,

** There is a commercially made product referee to s slide skis that could also be an option but I’ve seen some of the slide skis from other owners and fhe6 have had issues with them getting mangled..

My video:

https://youtu.be/EtgzzhXodlk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8609.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	370.7 KB
ID:	43515   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4251.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	43516   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4250.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	43517  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 04:02 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Brian you can try getting them to cover it but at 3 years or so I doubt it. I had them put total uhmw bottoms on my slides under warranty but it was within the first year.

You need to do something with them right away. I would not go anywhere until it was repaired. The wood will suck water right in, even heavy dew/condensation and deteriorate the bottom. Is the damage just on the ends of the slide or elsewhere?

You can attach uhmw strips as Chuck did and I have done as well. If it's only on the ends they make slide "skis" that attach on the ends of the slide, cover the damaged area and then are attached under the transition strip on the end of the slide. Several ways to fix it but it needs to be fixed asap.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 04:31 PM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
You could try warranty repair but I will bet they say “fair wear and tear item” and deny the fix

Images of before and after with my repair.. This is a hydraulic slide but I see no reason that it would not also work for Schwintek in wall electric slide that rolls on rollers on the bottom

The hydraulic slide rolls across and outer and inner wear bar and the Darco is supposed to “glide” over it.

I am on my third season of use with this repair and the last two pics show the repair is solid and looks good.

I have also included a YouTube video of this repair process and show the gear pack teeth meshing perfectly with this repair,

** There is a commercially made product referee to s slide skis that could also be an option but I’ve seen some of the slide skis from other owners and fhe6 have had issues with them getting mangled..

My video:

https://youtu.be/EtgzzhXodlk

Thanks i will check out the video
Old 04-13-2023, 04:33 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Brian you can try getting them to cover it but at 3 years or so I doubt it. I had them put total uhmw bottoms on my slides under warranty but it was within the first year.

You need to do something with them right away. I would not go anywhere until it was repaired. The wood will suck water right in, even heavy dew/condensation and deteriorate the bottom. Is the damage just on the ends of the slide or elsewhere?

You can attach uhmw strips as Chuck did and I have done as well. If it's only on the ends they make slide "skis" that attach on the ends of the slide, cover the damaged area and then are attached under the transition strip on the end of the slide. Several ways to fix it but it needs to be fixed asap.
It’s just on the two ends of the kitchen cable slide…i’m gonna call the dealer but i will get right on a repair solution
Old 04-13-2023, 04:38 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
It’s just on the two ends of the kitchen cable slide…i’m gonna call the dealer but i will get right on a repair solution

Beware. Per chance if they get a warranty approval be sure they keep you in the loop as to what the repairs will be. When they initially approved mine the warranty approval person said it would be with thin aluminum screwed into the bottom of the slide - that was a no go and we ended up with a far better solution but that was their initial effort.
Old 04-13-2023, 04:55 PM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Beware. Per chance if they get a warranty approval be sure they keep you in the loop as to what the repairs will be. When they initially approved mine the warranty approval person said it would be with thin aluminum screwed into the bottom of the slide - that was a no go and we ended up with a far better solution but that was their initial effort.
Yikes…I’m weighing my options and trying to decide if i want to put myself thru the rollercoaster ride of the warranty approval process.

I know i can fix it but at some point in my life i have to “let go” and let someone else fix these things or else i will be spending all my time maintaining a fleet of boats and vehicles that were supposed to be fun and relaxing (i take care of all of the vehicles in my family)….who am i kidding lol i will probably be the one fixing it as usual
Old 04-13-2023, 06:09 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I was always a hands on guy that didn't farm anything out, still don't a lot of things, but this kind of thing I have someone do. The strips can be done without a lot of trouble if you can bend and your joints are good; I can't and they aren't. When I had the strips done on the first one (3 per slide) it was $2200 for 2 big slides (about the size as yours) and they hyperextended the slides to attach them. It can be done just as well and cheaper IMO. The skis are inexpensive and don't require a lot of work to install. The way Chuck installed his works well also but with your edges completely torn up they will allow moisture to enter from the ends and have to be covered someway.
Old 04-14-2023, 05:42 AM   #9
ChuckS

If you choose to go the slide ski route.. be sure to remove the drip strips and old sealant around the edges of the drip strip and install the slide skis, then drip strips and then (reseal) both top and bottom edges of drip strips..

I have seen a few RV shops that just install the slide ski right over the drip strip and call the job done...

Video from Duo Form showing the proper way to install.. Anyone should be able to handle this task easily with minimal skill sets

When I did my repair I wanted to use UHMW for the initial repair and I also wanted to see if there was any affect with gear pack meshing... There isn't..

This way I know I could replace the entire bottom covering with a full sheet of UHMW without affecting the two gear packs for the hydraulic slide as well as overall slide out alignment..

With a cable slide system you have less to worry about ..

With the Schwintek In wall slide system one might have to adjust the bottom rollers downward a tad to compensate for the UHMW if the slide out guide tracks to motor drive gear teeth (upper and lower) were no longer centered on the tracks..

You have a few sound options.. Personally for the small issue you currently have I would DIY and keep the RV out of a service center..

Age here is going on 70 now but I still maintain the RV from top to bottom, do all the work on the Duramax, motorcycles, etc..

I am not paying some auto place north of $200 to change out my diesel fuel filter when I can DIY for less than $35

** There may come a day down the road .. and I hope that road is a long one .. that I have to take things into a shop for work.. but for now.. nope

As a side note I just replaced the serpintine belt, the tensioner and two idler pulleys on the durmax.. Cost.. about $88... Called a few of the local shops and they were all around $500 and up...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 09:54 AM   #10
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
If you choose to go the slide ski route.. be sure to remove the drip strips and old sealant around the edges of the drip strip and install the slide skis, then drip strips and then (reseal) both top and bottom edges of drip strips..

I have seen a few RV shops that just install the slide ski right over the drip strip and call the job done...

Video from Duo Form showing the proper way to install.. Anyone should be able to handle this task easily with minimal skill sets

When I did my repair I wanted to use UHMW for the initial repair and I also wanted to see if there was any affect with gear pack meshing... There isn't..

This way I know I could replace the entire bottom covering with a full sheet of UHMW without affecting the two gear packs for the hydraulic slide as well as overall slide out alignment..

With a cable slide system you have less to worry about ..

With the Schwintek In wall slide system one might have to adjust the bottom rollers downward a tad to compensate for the UHMW if the slide out guide tracks to motor drive gear teeth (upper and lower) were no longer centered on the tracks..

You have a few sound options.. Personally for the small issue you currently have I would DIY and keep the RV out of a service center..

Age here is going on 70 now but I still maintain the RV from top to bottom, do all the work on the Duramax, motorcycles, etc..

I am not paying some auto place north of $200 to change out my diesel fuel filter when I can DIY for less than $35

** There may come a day down the road .. and I hope that road is a long one .. that I have to take things into a shop for work.. but for now.. nope

As a side note I just replaced the serpintine belt, the tensioner and two idler pulleys on the durmax.. Cost.. about $88... Called a few of the local shops and they were all around $500 and up...
Believe me i fix and maintain just about everything and always have ..good video
Old 04-14-2023, 10:07 AM   #11
firestation12

I had the same wear pattern a you did….well not quite as bad, but I did the following: first I wanted to stabilize the Darco material. This was done by applying a 2 part epoxy with a putty knife to the frayed area then using a jack to apply pressure to a plywood strip covered with Sara wrap. After curing overnight, the plywood cover with Saran Wrap easily released from the epoxy leaving a smooth surface to apply the UHMW. I chose a 3/16” thick piece of UHMW for the repair. This was obtained from eBay. Looking at the underside of the slide, I noticed that only the outer 6” of the slide’s edge came into contact with the wear bar. There is no point to covering the entire underside of the slide, when only a portion is needed. As described in the previously posted video, the UHMW was installed. As I recall, the length/width was around 33” X 6”. The UHMW doesn’t need to extend to the outer edge of the slide out. Using a floor jack to lift the slide out a 1/4” will allow the UHMW’s tapered edge to be installed snug to the wear bar. The 3/16” thickness did not cause interference with the slideout’s roof during the retraction. If you are handy, I’d trust yourself to do the repair, someone else may not take the time or make the effort to do it right.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 10:32 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
I had the same wear pattern a you did….well not quite as bad, but I did the following: first I wanted to stabilize the Darco material. This was done by applying a 2 part epoxy with a putty knife to the frayed area then using a jack to apply pressure to a plywood strip covered with Sara wrap. After curing overnight, the plywood cover with Saran Wrap easily released from the epoxy leaving a smooth surface to apply the UHMW. I chose a 3/16” thick piece of UHMW for the repair. This was obtained from eBay. Looking at the underside of the slide, I noticed that only the outer 6” of the slide’s edge came into contact with the wear bar. There is no point to covering the entire underside of the slide, when only a portion is needed. As described in the previously posted video, the UHMW was installed. As I recall, the length/width was around 33” X 6”. The UHMW doesn’t need to extend to the outer edge of the slide out. Using a floor jack to lift the slide out a 1/4” will allow the UHMW’s tapered edge to be installed snug to the wear bar. The 3/16” thickness did not cause interference with the slideout’s roof during the retraction. If you are handy, I’d trust yourself to do the repair, someone else may not take the time or make the effort to do it right.

One needs to carefully inspect the bottom of the slide to make sure only the ends are indeed affected. My previous trailer had the ends and a strip down the middle so had them install 3 strips on the slides. This one had the ends starting to fray on both big slides but I could see the where the fabric of the darco was being stressed in other places hence the request for a full covering of uhmw. On the darco you can sometimes see scuffing (not fraying) where it comes across the wear bar, sometimes you can see the fabric of the darco sort of stretching or distending. I used high intensity led lamps under the slide to inspect it. The wear, especially in the middle of the slide, is affected by what's in the slide. My slide with the fridge/stove/pantry etc. is always worse than the one with a dinette and theater seating.
Old 04-20-2023, 08:54 AM   #13
Jwaldrich

Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Should this be covered under the 3 year structural warranty?
or can i repair it myself with less headaches….kitchen slide just started this year
Never had much luck with my dealership in terms of repair. Takes a month of Sundays to get it in and 6 months of Sundays to get it back.
Jwaldrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 11:39 AM   #14
dutchmensport

Same issue happening to mine. Another post on this subject that keeps popping up on these forums and others. Thanks... another gentle reminder I need to get off my butt and get mine fixed .... like ...... real soon.

The slide ski's is what I'm looking at too. I suppose I've got to quit camping long enough to get home so I can do this in the comfort of my drive way and where I've got all my tools. It's kind of hard to do this when on the road so dang much. Crap! RVing just sucks! (NOT!)
Old 04-20-2023, 03:45 PM   #15
Hblick48

Before I installed Slide Skis and after. They work great!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20221004_101400.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	43584   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221005_135404.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	43585  
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 03:53 PM   #16
Folkie

Slide skis

I also did the slide ski install last year after I noticed the Darco waring. The biggest challenges were cleaning the old caulk off the trim strip and cutting the skis to fit around the interferences. I used straight cut metal sheers to cut the plastic with good results. I opted for the skis because they fit under the siding material so there is no chance that water will run down the side and get to the Darco bottom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220908_153924.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	43589   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220908_172432.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	43590  
Old 04-22-2023, 05:14 PM   #17
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
I also did the slide ski install last year after I noticed the Darco waring. The biggest challenges were cleaning the old caulk off the trim strip and cutting the skis to fit around the interferences. I used straight cut metal sheers to cut the plastic with good results. I opted for the skis because they fit under the siding material so there is no chance that water will run down the side and get to the Darco bottom.

Looks good!…i ordered my slide skis and will do the repair when they arrive

Tags
slide, slide out