Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2023, 11:58 AM   #1
Darrell

Lite shock from camper.

I have noticed lately while working on the camper I get a little light shock every once in awhile when working on the frame or around it. Figure I might have a electrical problem somewhere anyone with any advice as to what to look at first.
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 12:43 PM   #2
bobbecky

This will get you started: https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...t-skin-causes/
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 04:18 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
Bob, Do you have the next installment of this article as that is where the author shows how to rectify the hot skin issue.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 04:49 PM   #4
bobbecky

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...rt-2-rvt-1021/

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...date-rvt-1028/

https://www.rvtravel.com/no-shock-zo...kin-condition/
Old 04-12-2023, 04:55 PM   #5
Wyldfire

I had that once. The extension cord I was using didn't have the ground round thing attached. New cord with all three prongs shock went away.
Wyldfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 05:10 PM   #6
bobbecky

Years ago, we arrived at a campground in Washington State, and got set up and plugged in. No power in the rig! In checking, our EMS failed to energize and the reason was no ground. I checked with the park office and she sent their repair guy over and he tore the pedestal apart. All connections were good. Turned out, in pulling the shore cord plug and plugging it back in again several times, the last time removing it, the ground prong stayed in the receptacle, so it was broken inside the molded shore cord plug. I managed to locate an RV repair shop that had a replacement plug in stock and got the plug replaced and were back in business. The EMS worked, well worth the cost. Ours is hardwired so it worked to protect us. If it were a portable EMS, it would not have seen the problem.
Old 04-12-2023, 06:04 PM   #7
Darrell

I just found out I have a open neutral on that receptacle and I am sure that is the problem.
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 06:32 PM   #8
bobbecky

That could do it. An open neutral can cause very strange voltages and could start a fire or burn up devices and appliances. Good catch.
Old 04-13-2023, 01:24 AM   #9
dutchmensport

That is called, "Hot Skin". It's caused by a failure to be grounded properly when plugged into shore power.

There is probably absolutely nothing wrong with your camper. What is wrong is the electrical outlet the camper is plugged into. It is not grounded. Or, your electric power cord for the camper has a break in the ground wire somewhere. Most likely, if it's the electric cord, the problem is in the male end of the plug.

I had this same problem a few years ago with a previous trailer than had aluminum skin. I was running one of those orange construction style 15 amp electric cords from the house to the camper, and it was 100 feet long.

Every time I reached for the door handle, I got the "Hot Skin" buzz. Thanks to another forum at that time, I read about proper grounding. Then I realized that 100 foot cord I was using did NOT have the 3rd prong (the ground prong).

I switched electric cords to one that did have the 3 prongs and never had that issued, ever again.

So, I'd start with the electric outlet and then second, check out the electric cord. Again... I doubt anything is wrong with the camper!

EDIT:
I just went back and read the previous posts. I see you found the problem. Glad it was nothing wrong with the camper!