Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2023, 06:07 AM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

New Cougar Line

Just got an email from CW talking about a new Keystone Cougar line - at least I haven't seen it. Looks to me like they may be renaming the Cougar 1/2 ton line??

https://rv.campingworld.com/pages/br...ar_Sport_03_26
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 06:36 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Just got an email from CW talking about a new Keystone Cougar line - at least I haven't seen it. Looks to me like they may be renaming the Cougar 1/2 ton line??

https://rv.campingworld.com/pages/br...ar_Sport_03_26
It's "sort of" like the old Chevrolet lines: Impala, BelAire and Biscayne...

At Keystone,in the Cougar fifth wheel lines, it's Cougar Premium, Cougar Half-Ton and Cougar Sport. Starting with the Sport, as you go up in price, you also go up in "luxury and expensive standard equipment"... There are, at present, only two "Sport fifth wheel floorplans"... I'd guess, if they sell well, more will be added and the "evolution will begin until we get another High Country trim level and then things will "go cheap again because few people will buy a Cougar at the MSRP of a Montana" .....

In travel trailers, it's still "only the Cougar Half Ton line....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 03:37 PM   #3
Max23

Not sure how they can call it a half ton pullable. Looking at the specs on it, if you add hitch weight, DW and me and a full tank of gas, I'm out of weight capacity on the truck. Thats figuring the camper is dry. Half ton truck will not support this cargo. Well, not comfortably anyway.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:47 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

From the CW blurb, "The newest member of America's most popular towable RV family, the Keystone Cougar Sport is a lightweight half-ton fifth wheel designed to be pulled by a majority of half-ton trucks." Keystone just can't stop which the hyperbolic marketing BS. The little guy is 26' and at 8500 lbs gross weight will have a pin weight of 2000 lbs. Add hitch and passengers and how many have tons have a payload of north of 2500 lbs? Maybe a couple? The is a larger 32' big brother that is about 9500 lbs gross weight. You are looking at 2200 lbs pin weight plus hitch/passengers/stuff. This marketing is almost dangerous. They claim a hitch weight of 1300 lbs for the big boy and fail to mention that is not going to happen, ever, in the real world. I can just see that Eco Boost pilot dragging a 32' 3000 lb pin weight 5th wheel. Good job Keystone!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar