Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2023, 11:09 PM   #1
Bobnely

Should I be Concerned?

While I'm officially a New Member - I've been browsing this forum over the last year while selecting our first TT. I still need to do my new member check-in. This our first TT and will be using it for our upcoming military move while we transition from one house to another and a short vacation up the east coast in between.

We chose a 2021 Premier 30RIPR so far we love the trailer and are very pleased with it. Prior to purchase we had it inspected by a certified RV inspector and it was in "like new condition" as we know even new RVs have problems.

There were a number of small items found which I'll work off in time but two items that did not look serious on the inspection report now have me concerned.

The report found that the graphic on the left side of the front fiberglass cap as bubbling up where the graphic from the sidewall met the silicone seal of the front fiberglass cap. The other item is the top left corner of fiberglass cap where it meets the sidewall and roof. it seems as though it is 'separating' from the sidewall.

With the graphic it seems as though I can use a razor to cut the graphic and free it from the silicone then reapply silicone to remove the bubbles.

I might be able to get away with applying silicone to the corner of the silicone cap as well and just monitoring it.

Should I be concerned?
Are any of these structural matters?
Recommended repair techniques?

Many thanks we look forward to seeing you all out and about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2615.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	43352   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2620.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	43353   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2614 (1).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	43354  
Bobnely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 03:50 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

First off thank you for your service. None of the pics show any structural concerns. The first pic is a decal lifting. You could cut at the seam and apply some new RV rated sealant. The last pic with the gutter spout can be resealed also. Make sure you inspect the roof for any voids in the sealant and if there is, use Lap sealant.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 05:16 AM   #3
dutchmensport

Welcome to the forums and congrats on picking up your Premier. I hope it serves you well and you have many happy adventures with it.

I'm somewhat surprised to see silicon was used on your camper. Normally, silicon is not a good choice of sealers for the roof or for sealing around the windows and doors and anything else connected to the outside of the trailer. Silicon ages quickly and decorates and then peals off. It definitely not good for the rubber roof.

The silicon will not hurt anything on the sides of the trailer, it just doesn't hold up do it is exposure to the outside elements. But on the roof, it will deteriorate the rubber.

If you use anything, use Dicor Lap Sealant. There are 2 kinds, the self-leveling used on the roof and flat surfaces which is a thinner mix made to flatten out with gravity, and then the normal which is thicker, holds its shape and is used on vertical surfaces.

If you pull a running light, remove a window or the door frame, remove the air conditioner, any of the vents on the roof, or have to replace anything on the side or top of the camper, then use Butyl tape. This is putty in the form of a long flat rope. You lay your length down and then put the object on top of it and then secure the object to the surface. This stuff squishes and seals. The only problem with this stuff is it catches dirt over. So after a couple years, it doesn't look "new" any more.

I wouldn't worry about the graphics. Simply trim the graphic where the sealer overlaps and let it go. Messing with stuff in an attempt to make things look better or to somehow "improve" it can actually cause more issues and bigger problems than simply leaving things as they are.

Thank-you for your service. I was in the Army from 1982 to 1988. I served during the great, great war in Grenada! Actually.... the entire thing happened and I didn't even know it was going on. I was at Fort Devens, Mass in a support position. That was (then) home of the special forces guys. Those guys would simply disappear for a few weeks and then return. When I'd ask my friends where they went, they said we went to Grenada. I asked, "What happened?" They said, "Well, we had a night landing. We landed on the beach and then all of a sudden lights turned on everywhere. Here we were, low crawling in the sand on the beach and the lights came on. We were surrounded by news media videoing our landing!" He said, they didn't even know where they were going until after they were in the air in flight, and then they were briefed on what the mission was. Yet, the news media knew about the landing, the time, location, and the mission before they did! That was my first knowledge of Grenada myself.

Oh well, the time served was during a "declared war" and that made me eligible to become a member of the American Legion. (I did go to Korea later also and have some interesting memories visiting the 38th parallel .... DMZ though.)

Again, thanks for following a great, worthy, and honorable tradition in your service!
Old 03-26-2023, 05:56 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

There are sealants used by RV manufacturers that looks like silicone, until you try to remove it. ProSeal is one, SikaFlex is another. We use GE Silicone II on exteriors and it works good. For those that say it leaves a film and it won’t stick to itself? Come by the shop…

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:55 AM   #5
Bobnely

Appreciate the details on using the right adhesives for each requirement.

Thank you for your service, I love the stories! Love what I do, I was enlisted for 12 years then went to OCS 20 years ago this year the entirety of it in the MP Corps.
Bobnely is offline   Reply With Quote